Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob - heat from engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008 | 09:46 PM
Scooter Wench
|
Road Captain
Default RE: Fat Bob - heat from engine

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

Was just thumbing through my new April issue of AIM. I can't remember if it was an article or a tech topic or what. It could have been in the review of the Fat Bob they have in that issue. But there was mention of excessive heat do to the holes in the "tommy gun/machine gun" exhaust. Do you feel the heat more on the right side? If so, that could be it and some pipe wrap or new pipes altogether could be a solution.
It's really higher up where I feel it the most, up by the rear cylinder. I sometimes will feel heat on my calf down by the Tommy Gun slots but not as bad as higher up. I'm going to talk to some people up here (including my dealer) about all the suggestions you guys have given me and see 1) which one they will do or 2) which is the best solution. We have three dealerships here in town all owned by the same family but you will get three different stories from them when it comes to what can and can't be done to your bike. You sort of have to wade through the BS. I had one telling me that I absolutely shouldn't put 2" rush slip on's on my bike, but I called Rush directly and they told me that they recommend 2" pipes on the Fat Bob. One of the other stores said they recommended the 2" as well. That's where I had my work done. For some reason, one store is a little more relaxed than the others.

Old 03-01-2008 | 10:20 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Scooter Wench

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

If you are not running synthetic oil you may want to try Mobil1Vtwin 20w50 (autozone). If you have over 3000 miles on the engine Redline makes a 20w60 oil. See it at www.redllineoil.com . Either wil take some heat off the engine.
Yeah I'm running synthetic, had that changed at my 1000 mile service. Have almost 5000 on it right now and should be over by the time Bike Week is done and over with. Can I use the Redline without affecting my warranty? I hear that you can violate the warranty for the silliest of reasons.
Yes you can use Redline, Mobil1Vtwin or Amsoil or Royal Purplewithout voiding your warranty.

Old 03-01-2008 | 10:45 PM
arnold
Road Master

I tried to say in my last post that all the afore mentioned oils meet or exceed HD oil, are actually better, but for some reason that part vanished from the post while its still showing when I choose "edit", oh well.
Today I went to my favorite dealer and wanted to show them a rattling heat sheild on the Bob so I left it running in the lot for close to 15 minutes in 80 degree weather till they looked at it and I didnt over heat, I would have fried something before I put the PCIII on, I was mainly putting it on to eleviate the heat issue-(or as HD dealers for the most part will tell you.."what heat issue?"), but the performance gain was a very nice bonus. 96ers are known for heat issues so lets not try to blame it on the Bob or its exhaust directly, its because your engine is running too lean and too hot, I fixed it before I had to ride thru a Texas summer.

Old 03-01-2008 | 10:49 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Yeah, my 2006 ran quite a bit hotter until I did the stage1 with the SE race tuner. Even the canned maps with the race tuner run cooler than stock.

Old 03-02-2008 | 08:16 AM
YNOT55124
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: mfuchs2004

My bike also gets so damn hot in congested traffic that I have to alternately lift my legs like one of those Namibian lizards. I can also see the header glowing at night just idling. Seems hot to me.

This is the first I've heard of the rear jug shutoff. Does it work on the '07? Does it work at all?

I'm also considering the oil cooler, but I can't see how it could make much diff in traffic. Is there anyone who's done this, and does it actually make any diff. in heavy traffic?

Thanks in advance for any edumocation you can give me!
Headers glowing at idle ... Does that sound right?

I have yet to pick up my Bob, I bought in January and itsMinnesota so I have not had the chance to ride it - not sure why I did this to myself - anyway I digress - its my first hog but are seeing the headers glowing"normal".

Great Forum folks.

Old 03-02-2008 | 08:26 AM
twofish
Road Master

My rear cylinder shut off one hot day at a traffic light.
The engine was doing what it was programmed to do.
I had the dealer turn off this feature. I feel better knowing
the motor is ready to go using both lungs when I am.

Old 03-03-2008 | 04:18 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master

I burned a hole in my trousers sitting on mine in a traffic jam yesterday because it got so hot. My leg is still sore. I used to get that on my old BSA some years ago which had high pipes and the heat shield had fallen off. I solved the problem by wrapping asbestos string around it.

Old 03-03-2008 | 05:37 PM
the metal
Banned

i think i will install a temp gauge asap, i've got the oil cooler already, i am going to check what the thermostat is set at and maybe go lower if 1 is available.

any input on whether a cylinder head gauge or an oil temp gauge is the best route to take?

Old 03-20-2008 | 02:08 PM
mlarsen77
Novice

Are you sure the ooohs and aaahhhs arent directed towards the rider???? J/K.......I scraped my left peg the other day also doing a U-turn.........I wasnt expecting it and was more concerned with the chrome being scraped off than anything else......

Old 03-20-2008 | 02:29 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member

Haven't had any heat problems that caused me any discomfort in any way on my '07 Bob so can't offer any help/suggestions.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob - heat from engine