Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob - heat from engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008 | 03:12 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Fat Bob - heat from engine

had mine all summer did not feel that kind of heat, it gets hot but not to the leg burning point. Maybe it has to do with the routing of the pipes on FB vs all the rest of the Dyna the rear cylinder pipe does sweep forward quite a bit

Old 02-29-2008 | 04:38 PM
SilentWarrior
Tourer

Mine runs a little hot at long stops also but not too bad..I noticed in your sig it has the HD SE Filter and aftermarket pipes. You could be running a little lean. I noticed you said you are looking at the PCIII. I think with your addons you need to have an aftermarket controller. It might help. Also There is alot of posts on a tank lift that might help relieve some of the heat. Do a search on this site for it. I am considiering doing a small lift on my tank to help cool the enigne. Also since we are in Florida I am considering on gettting an oil cooler, no scratch that I am getting an oil cooler. You might consider this !

HD part # 26151-07

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 02-29-2008 | 04:47 PM
SilentWarrior
Tourer

Oh yeah , good to see a chick riding the "Fat Bob". Welcome to the club !

Old 02-29-2008 | 04:51 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

My bike also gets so damn hot in congested traffic that I have to alternately lift my legs like one of those Namibian lizards. I can also see the header glowing at night just idling. Seems hot to me.

This is the first I've heard of the rear jug shutoff. Does it work on the '07? Does it work at all?

I'm also considering the oil cooler, but I can't see how it could make much diff in traffic. Is there anyone who's done this, and does it actually make any diff. in heavy traffic?

Thanks in advance for any edumocation you can give me!

Old 02-29-2008 | 05:03 PM
saltybull
Cruiser

With these lean running 96 engines I agree they do run hot at the stop light. I noticed in a few other threads here on HD forums there might be a cheap option to make the engine run a little richer and cool down the engine a bit.

A device has hit the scene that cruiser85257 posted a test of in the Tech forum. It seems to bring the standard HD fuel ratio of 14:7 down to 14:2 and he showed a big reduction in engine heat!

Check it out!

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2836828/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

A few more comments from the Dyna Forum plus a user that says he beta tested the device before it hit the market.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2862110/tm.htm

Only $70 and sounds like it might be what you are looking for

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

Old 02-29-2008 | 09:27 PM
Scooter Wench
|
Road Captain

Wow! You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I will look into them (probably trying the cheapest solutions first! LOL).

Other than the heat factor I am soooooooo happy with my bike. It is so solid and so well balanced, I have already scraped my forward pegs on the asphalt hitting a corner and didn't even wobble (ooops!). It's just an incredible bike. I was originally looking at either a Wide Glide or Low Rider and I'm so glad that I waited for the MoCo to finally deliver them. Everywhere I go people oooh and ahhh at it, even old skool chopper guys! LOL It is the perfect bike for me and I know I'm going to have fun making it my own. I've gotten some great ideas already on this forum. Thanks again!

Old 02-29-2008 | 09:40 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

If you are not running synthetic oil you may want to try Mobil1Vtwin 20w50 (autozone). If you have over 3000 miles on the engine Redline makes a 20w60 oil. See it at www.redllineoil.com . Either wil take some heat off the engine.

Old 02-29-2008 | 09:50 PM
Scooter Wench
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

If you are not running synthetic oil you may want to try Mobil1Vtwin 20w50 (autozone). If you have over 3000 miles on the engine Redline makes a 20w60 oil. See it at www.redllineoil.com . Either wil take some heat off the engine.
Yeah I'm running synthetic, had that changed at my 1000 mile service. Have almost 5000 on it right now and should be over by the time Bike Week is done and over with. Can I use the Redline without affecting my warranty? I hear that you can violate the warranty for the silliest of reasons.

Old 03-01-2008 | 12:48 AM
arnold
Road Master

Oil brand wont void your warenty as long as you use oil that meets or exceeds HD oil specs, and red Line, Royal Purple, or Amsoil are all better oils than HD. I am running RP 20-50 crank and RL Shock Proof tranny, really stopped most of the noise in the tranny.
My Bob runs hot as hell as well, its the EPA **** and not at all uncommon on the 96.
The best resolve IMHO is a fuel manager.
Choices include:
SERT-kinda expensive, no added HW, can be hard to find some tech to make it work right but from what I hear does a great job if done right.
PCIII-power comander-add on HW that you can get with a pretuned map for your bike from Fuel Moto-Worked good for me, increased performance and heat is no longer an issue.
TMAX-cost more, replaces your stock ecu with theirs and runs wide band o2 sensors-I hear it works great and self tunes may try one some time.
The epa screwed us all and HD is not helping that much, possibly because they cant, or their resolve is too exxpensive.
Check out Fuel Moro, they sell both the PCIII and the TMAX I think, and they are good to work with.
HD, depending on your dealer might whine about warenty if you go with PCIII or TMAX, and some parts under warenty will void, for instance if you hook up PCIII and fry your ecu it will be on you because you hooked up HW to it that directly caused it if they know you were running it.
Keep reading the forum, there are LOTS of posts regarding after market fuel managers.
If you decide on a FM and go the SERT, check around for referances on who you use (what dealer) to add it for you.

Old 03-01-2008 | 09:23 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Was just thumbing through my new April issue of AIM. I can't remember if it was an article or a tech topic or what. It could have been in the review of the Fat Bob they have in that issue. But there was mention of excessive heat do to the holes in the "tommy gun/machine gun" exhaust. Do you feel the heat more on the right side? If so, that could be it and some pipe wrap or new pipes altogether could be a solution.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob - heat from engine