Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel alignment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:14 PM
jrsmith_80
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel alignment.

Hey guys I bought a 07 lowrider last august and it is making a little squeak out of the rear wheel. It sounds like the wheel may be out of aligment or something because it is coming from the belt side of the rear wheel. Could the wheel be out of alignment and cause this squeaking? I had the stealership look at it when they did the 1000 mile service and they told me that it was just making the noise because the bike was new and that it would go away before to long, I dont beleive this at all. What do you guys think? How do you go about aligning the belt and making sure everything is good. I am sure that this is a repost but since the search feature is down I could not use it, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Jeremy

Old 02-26-2008, 04:36 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rear wheel alignment.

The rear belt tension. The correct way to do it is with a belt tension gauge. If you do not have one, you can do it by feel for a TEMPORARY fix. When close to properly adjust tension, you should be able to pinch the belt with your fingers and rotate the belt about 45 degrees.

After you have the tension, do the wheel alignment. There is a factory drilled hole on each side of the swing-arma few inches in front of the axle nut. Using something like a piece of stiff wire, bend it in a U shape so one tip hits the center of the axle nut, the other hits the factory drilled hole. Do this on the belt side first. Shape the wire (in the U shape) so you can use it as a gauge for the other side. On the two sides, the distance between the rear axle nut and the factory drilled hole should be about the same, no more than 1/16" difference. After the wheel is aligned, check you belt tension again. Re-tighten and realign if necessary.

Final,buy or borrow a belt tension gauge.

Check out the tech section of the forum. Info for rear wheel alignment and belt tension can be found there.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:50 AM
jrsmith_80
Tourer

I checked the rear alignment like stated above and everything checked out fine. What could be making the sqeaking noise. It almost sounds like a brake rotor because it only sqeaks at a certatin point in the rotation of the rear wheel. Is it possible that the belt rotor is bent?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:30 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Several other things to check:

As mentioned, get a belt tension gauge. Improper belt tension is a common cause of the churp.

Check the bolts which hold the pulley on the wheel and make sure they are tight.

A dirty belt canmake is noisy. Clean with mild detergent and a toothbrush.

Check the lower debris deflector and make sure it isn't hitting the belt and that its bolts are tight.

I guess its possible, but not likely your pulley is bent.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:19 AM
noreastermma
Advanced

i had this problem with 96 fatboy and i shot the belt with silicone or wd 40. i forgot it haasnt&nbsp\\;made a peep in the last&nbsp\\;24,000 miles EZD

Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you could spray the brake caliper with brake cleaner...when I got my bike it squeaked in front and cleaning the caliper did the trick... sometimes a squeak sounds like it is coming from one place but really is another...

Old 08-05-2008, 04:54 PM
0ut1aw
Tourer

Does it stop if you ride the rear brake?&nbsp\\; If it does it is in the brake
&nbsp\\;
If it stops when rideing the brake ride the brake hard for a few hundred feet could be the pads bumping the rotor