Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDWG - why cant my 1997 dyna wide glide get a tank lift, i'm gealous

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:58 PM
mjans20
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDWG - why cant my 1997 dyna wide glide get a tank lift, i'm gealous

unless i'm missing something, there's no way to lift my tank, it will hit the triple tree when turning, and tank lifts look awesome in my opinion, what a downer, just wondered if this makes anyone else as mad as i

Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: FXDWG - why cant my 1997 dyna wide glide get a tank lift, i'm gealous

is it a split tank (two piece)? if so it will not work. if not, post some pics of the front of the tank were the tank mounts to the frame (above, both sides, & close ups). jackyl

Old 02-20-2008, 05:17 PM
mjans20
Intermediate
Default RE: FXDWG - why cant my 1997 dyna wide glide get a tank lift, i'm gealous

by 'split', is it 2 complete seperate peices, or do you just mean 2 sides welded together, because mine is welded under the tank pad. but i took out the front bolt, and i would have to move the tank back a bit in order for it to not hit anything when raised i think, if i take pics do you want pics of it bolted still or show how it will hit when i lift it?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

if it is going to interefer with something,then you cant use one. sorry. jackyl

Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I emailed a lift maufacturer to see if their 2" lift would work on my '96 WG, and they replied that they found the tree's hit on about 10% of the wg's of my year, that they had mounted them on. Said they come with money back guarantee, so if it did'nt work out, I could return it.

Cheers... Ben.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 AM
mjans20
Intermediate

very strange, why would only 10% not work, shouldn't the same year all be the same?

jackyl, seen allot of your work, even more since this post, they look great !

Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 PM
brownie9xi
Intermediate

If by "move the tank back a bit" you mean somewhere around an 1/8 inch you can do what a number of us had to do. Remove the rear bolt and enlarge the rear hole with a round fileabout an 1/8 inch. This allows the tank to move back that far and keeps the handle bars from hitting the tank when turned all the way to the right or left.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 PM
mjans20
Intermediate

yeah, thats exactly what i mean, its cold and windy out today, and i already have my fuel drained, so i will probably give that a shot and check for clearance today

Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Brownie is dead on, should be no big deal, give it a shot... One think that is keeping me from putting on on my bike is the petcock location. Mine ('94) is in the front of the tank, I dont want to give up that kind of fuel capacity..

Old 02-25-2008, 02:54 PM
mjans20
Intermediate

got it done!except my round file is dull as all hell, so i used a dremal, which worked, but i put a small nick on the backside of my tank, if i were to do it again i would be smart and just cover the back of the tank with painters tape or something like that, woulda protected it. Now i can't see my little clock in front of the gas tank unless i lean forward, which is kinda good, dont wanna be reminded of the time when on the road anyway, my petcock is in a good back position, but - is the front crossover tube (being replaced) being longer and dipping down going to affect how the fuel from the right side gets to the left?

Quick Reply: FXDWG - why cant my 1997 dyna wide glide get a tank lift, i'm gealous