Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting lowers

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008 | 12:11 AM
Stanger
|
Road Master
Default painting lowers

I have been wanting to get my lowers powder coated but I do not have the time to remove the lowers so I would like to paint them so that I do not have to remove them and know that some here have done this, so I am looking for some help here. So what I would like to do is paint them with some kind of flat black paint. I know that some have used appliance epoxy and I am very interested in using this type of paint but I would like to know if anyone has done this and matched the denim black on the bike and how close the match is. Maube even have the type of paint used and where it was purchased.
i really appreciate any help with this. I know that there is a post here that is simular, I just did not want to hijack that post so I am posting this one.
thanks for any help here.

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:04 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Default RE: painting lowers

man you can get flat black epoxy paint online... the reason that we use the epoxy paint is becuase it is so tough... if you use reg paint it will chip, then your front forks will look like swiss cheese, you will be mad you did nto do it right the first time

Old 02-20-2008 | 12:08 PM
Stanger
|
Road Master

JRK5892,
I can appreciate the reason for using this epoxy paint. I have used it before and it is very strong as you said. What I am wondering is how it looks compared to the denim black paint. I once tried to use a Barb-a-q flat black paint and it was actually a gray black that did not match at all. So that is why I was asking if anyone has used the flat black epoxy and how it looked.
I will try some tests, I found that Rust-o-leum makes an appliance flat black that I am going to try. Thanks for the response.

Old 02-20-2008 | 08:23 PM
JRK5892
Banned

ahhh i missunderstood the ? my bad brother

Old 02-20-2008 | 11:01 PM
Stanger
|
Road Master

JRK5892,
No problem, I do appreciate your help. At this point any help is great. I only want to do this once. Did you use any kind of primer before the paint? Here is what I had planned to do. I will clean the lowers with soap and water, remove any large burrs and then before paint, wipe the legs down with grease and wax remover and then paint. Here is where I am not sure if I should use an epoxy primer before the paint. So any help you have on this I would appreciate it.

Old 02-21-2008 | 01:31 AM
JRK5892
Banned

sand... do not forget to sand... i sanded the crap out of mine... about an hr each leg.... till they where perfectly smooth... you can also get an etching spray if you would rather but i just used sand papers... 600-800 gritt then i cleaned with rubbing alchole and then shot them... follow the directions on the can or you will hate life... you get one shot with the epoxy paint

Old 02-21-2008 | 01:51 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

I found that Rust-o-leum makes an appliance flat black that I am going to try.
I was not aware of that. I used thier gloss and think it looks pretty good.The "Black Denim" is a very tough color to match. I think Harley did this on purpose.I experimented with flat and satin colors for awhile before I found that Krylons Semi Flat Black is about the best match your going to get and it's not an Epoxy.I used a courser sand paper and layed the Epoxy on thick,You can put a couple or three coats on so long as you do it within the first 30 min after that anything else will pull it up and make a real mess out of it.Just read the instructions and you'll be fine.

Old 02-21-2008 | 02:55 PM
Thunderhorse
Cruiser

Check out VHT satin black roll cage and chassis paint. I used the stuff on parts for my 55 Chevy and it looks nice. didn't get to check it against my Street Bob paint though.

Old 02-21-2008 | 03:50 PM
coltsfan
Road Warrior

JRK, I have been looking for someone to ask this question. I have a FXD-I (I uploaded a pic of it but it doesn't show up)with the Natural Finish and I don't really like that any longer. I have seen Dynas with blacked out motors and think that looks good, so can I get the motor painted without disassembling the motor? I don't know if a motor has to be powder coated or the paint baked on, because of the operating heat and all.

Old 02-21-2008 | 03:58 PM
JRK5892
Banned

ok... now here is my motor painting exp... i have painted several CB750 motors... you can get a etching spray that will etch aluminum... you spray that on the motor to etch it so that the paint will stick an then you can shoot it with a high temp paint 1200 or above... above better! do not clear as it will jsut flake off... i have had great luck... on the flip side... I have never shot a harley motor... personally i would just pull it down and powdercoat it but then again i have access to a powdercoater... start a new post... someone on here has to have more experinace than i do... but when i have done it, i got GREAT results!

Quick Reply: painting lowers