Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking the sissybar...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 03:00 AM
Anothernewguy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking the sissybar...

I have this vision at the moment of a one-of-a-kind sissy bar mounted on a detachable sideplate system. If I make this happen it will have to be custom welded & chromed, so with all that would be going into it, I would be sick if it were stolen. The logical solution would be a straight mount & to do away with the detachable sideplate idea, but the sissy bar would be encumbersome at times, and isn't for every day. I was thinking of winding a pair of gun locks around the attachment arms (those padlocks that come with pistols that have a length of cable to go through the gun's action) so that it couldn't be detached without unlocking the pair & slipping them off. What do you guys think?

Old 01-24-2006, 03:57 AM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Locking the sissybar...

You can get OEM locks for detachable sideplates - Part Number 46106-00

Old 01-24-2006, 09:02 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sooee is right. The HD locks for the detachable sideplates install in a snap and are as good as you're going to find w/o permanently mounting the sissy bar. Even "permanently" mounted they can be unbolted if someone has enough time. Nice feature with the lockables is that you can remove them and put them away when you're on a trip. I have a set I use when I travel and with a total cost of over $400.00 invested in the sideplates, sissy bar, pad and small luggage rack, it's well worth the $34.00 for the locks, expecially when you can remove the entire assbly in about 30 seconds when you're not on the bike.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:30 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

The only thing that sucks is that the locks that the moco sells are $32.95 for a little $5 piece that should come with the quick release system anyway. I sucked it up and got one since the sissy bar is a $500 investment and it works well to.

Steve

Old 08-01-2022, 05:44 PM
SJsupersporty
4th Gear
Default Mission accompoished!

Well, I'm happy to say I didn't need a hacksaw or to destroy the latch. After trimming down the plastic on the key I was able to push it into the lock, twist it with a needle nose plier, and get it unlocked! I removed the sissy bar and flipped the latches so they are mounted withthe lock faces out. Whew! what an ordeal, LOL!! Next up, order a spare key

modified key

locking latch properly installed

Old 08-01-2022, 05:56 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by SJsupersporty
Well, I'm happy to say I didn't need a hacksaw or to destroy the latch. After trimming down the plastic on the key I was able to push it into the lock, twist it with a needle nose plier, and get it unlocked! I removed the sissy bar and flipped the latches so they are mounted withthe lock faces out. Whew! what an ordeal, LOL!! Next up, order a spare key

modified key

locking latch properly installed
You resurrected a 16 year old thread to tell us that? You could have just started a new thread.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:17 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,087 Likes on 2,042 Posts

And there you have it folks!!!! A new hdforums.com thread revival record at 16 years 7 months. The latest revival cruises past the last record holder at 16 years 4 months and 12 days...unbelievable...I thought I wouldn't live to see the day of another 16 year old thread being brought back to life. Not only brought back to life but resuscitated by our newly joined friend with a completely unrelated story...bravo my good man. Please check that your forum personal information is correct as your prizes will mailed within 5 business days...again congratulations on winning absolutely nothing.

The following 3 users liked this post by Screamin beagle:
eighteight (08-03-2022), snake_eyes (08-02-2022), Vec (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 07:16 AM
SJsupersporty
4th Gear

Ha ha I didn't notice the date when I made the reply. Also didn't see the Warning sign about posting on an old thread

Old 08-02-2022, 11:59 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,242 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Anothernewguy
I have this vision at the moment of a one-of-a-kind sissy bar mounted on a detachable sideplate system. If I make this happen it will have to be custom welded & chromed, so with all that would be going into it, I would be sick if it were stolen. The logical solution would be a straight mount & to do away with the detachable sideplate idea, but the sissy bar would be encumbersome at times, and isn't for every day. I was thinking of winding a pair of gun locks around the attachment arms (those padlocks that come with pistols that have a length of cable to go through the gun's action) so that it couldn't be detached without unlocking the pair & slipping them off. What do you guys think?
Well the benefit of this resurrection is that I learnt a new word.