Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powdercoat or paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008 | 08:31 AM
strich
Tourer
Default RE: powdercoat or paint

Sorry guys, that post above is actually from me, Strich. I was somehow logged in as my wife, Betteh. But the question comes from me, Strich.

[sm=escape.gif][sm=guilty.gif]

Old 02-19-2008 | 08:58 AM
Stanger
Road Master

If I am not wrong, powdercoat is basically a form of plastic. I have my rims done in red and I have banged the hell out of them with the rear brake taking off the wheel and all that it did was put a litttle scratch in it. Now with paint, ya it would have been a huge scratch to metal.
Funny I say all this and plan on painting my front lowers. I do not want to take the time yet to do the lowers. I plan on doing what Special Ed used to do mine.
Good luck!!

Old 02-19-2008 | 10:25 AM
JRK5892
Banned

ORIGINAL: Betteh

ORIGINAL: JRK5892

I followed in ed's footsteps and i DO powdercoating! i just did not want to mess with dissassembly of the front forks... trust me the prep work that went into my paint job was just as intense if not more than if i was to powdercoat them... yes powdercoat does chip and scratch even if it is done right... it is not steel! but i am amazed by this epoxy paint... i have 4 coats on mine, and 4 coats of laquer clear it is some hard stuff.... VERY VERY hard... and pretty cheap to do... a bit time consuming but came out great! people ask me all the time to powdercoat their forks "like yours" and i laugh and tell them how i did mine... and then tell them they can do it themselves with some patients and planning! I am getting ready to do my buddies rocket now it came out so well... powdercoating is fantastic and as you can tell from my bike i am no stranger to it... but this was an easy way to get the look in a durrable meathod, without dissassembly of the front forks... just do it right, follow the directions, prep work will always decide the final product.... if you have questions let me know... i got the idea from ED and just coppied him, only i cleared mine as well with a laquer clear, also tough stuff! again, i do powdercoating, i have the gun, oven, whole chi-bang right in the garage... very impressed with the epoxy paint!
I've got a queston or two. I personally know nothing about powdercoating. I don't even know of a reputable PC her in Dallas, but i've been painting various pieces and although i've not had much of a chance to test wear and tear, it seems to be holding up fairly well. I'm trying to keep with the "textured" look, so i'm wondering if adding the epoxy will give it a shiny look instead. I'm guessing it might get rid of that textured feel too.

My next concern was the front end as i see you've done by painting. Is prep pretty much like painting a room by masking off the parts you don't want painted? Cause that seems fairly simple to do, albeit, time consuming to make sure you've covered everything you don't want painted. Did you paint uppers and lowers (on either side of the boots)? did you also paint the fork brace?

And finally, (sorry, this has been my latest effort in blacking out, so this post comes at a good time), can i paint the shocks? I know they can be PC, but you have to take everything apart which is a pain. I also know i can go buy aftermarket shocks that are black, but i've got a pretty bad back and all of my options for aftermarket tend to give a stiffer ride and the stock shocks are perfect for me. Can i just take the shocks off and slap a few coats of paint on them? Or will i end up getting paint in places it shouldn't be and Eff them up?

thank, and sorry for the long winded response.
Yep it is shiny... prep work is alot of sanding... ALOT, got to get it baby butt smooth then you can paint, i masked off the area's i did not want painted and then just shot them, the area between my trees is plastic, not painted, it is removable for my windshield, under it is a leather wrap that a forum member made me, ya you can use the same epoxy paint on your shocks from my understanding, i belive that is what ed has done...

Guys do not get me wrong... Powdercoat is some strong stuff, i am not saying that it is equal to paint by any means cause it is not even close it is MUCH MUCH MUCH stronger... but as far as being able to do this in your own garage, cheap, without disassembly, and have it hold up like a champ, you can not beat the epoxy paint... you simply can not

Old 02-19-2008 | 10:47 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Stanger

If I am not wrong, powdercoat is basically a form of plastic. I have my rims done in red and I have banged the hell out of them with the rear brake taking off the wheel and all that it did was put a litttle scratch in it. Now with paint, ya it would have been a huge scratch to metal.
Funny I say all this and plan on painting my front lowers. I do not want to take the time yet to do the lowers. I plan on doing what Special Ed used to do mine.
Good luck!!
Stranger,
There IS a plastic powder coat, but that is applied much different than the polyester based thermoset powder coat that would be applied to your motorcycle parts. Thermoset powders are actually a dry paint resin that is electrostatically applied to the part and cured in an oven. Since the part must reach [around] 400 degrees it is imparative that all seals and gaskets are removed. That is also why powder coating parts like fork legs or shocks that are still assembled would be a big problem since they contain oils that would ruin the finish.

Old 02-19-2008 | 12:10 PM
Stanger
Road Master

POWDERCOATER
Thanks, I was not completely sure but I do know that it is tough.

Old 02-19-2008 | 01:40 PM
strich
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Betteh

I followed in ed's footsteps and i DO powdercoating! i just did not want to mess with dissassembly of the front forks... trust me the prep work that went into my paint job was just as intense if not more than if i was to powdercoat them... yes powdercoat does chip and scratch even if it is done right... it is not steel! but i am amazed by this epoxy paint... i have 4 coats on mine, and 4 coats of laquer clear it is some hard stuff.... VERY VERY hard... and pretty cheap to do... a bit time consuming but came out great! people ask me all the time to powdercoat their forks "like yours" and i laugh and tell them how i did mine... and then tell them they can do it themselves with some patients and planning! I am getting ready to do my buddies rocket now it came out so well... powdercoating is fantastic and as you can tell from my bike i am no stranger to it... but this was an easy way to get the look in a durrable meathod, without dissassembly of the front forks... just do it right, follow the directions, prep work will always decide the final product.... if you have questions let me know... i got the idea from ED and just coppied him, only i cleared mine as well with a laquer clear, also tough stuff! again, i do powdercoating, i have the gun, oven, whole chi-bang right in the garage... very impressed with the epoxy paint!
I've got a queston or two. I personally know nothing about powdercoating. I don't even know of a reputable PC her in Dallas, but i've been painting various pieces and although i've not had much of a chance to test wear and tear, it seems to be holding up fairly well. I'm trying to keep with the "textured" look, so i'm wondering if adding the epoxy will give it a shiny look instead. I'm guessing it might get rid of that textured feel too.

My next concern was the front end as i see you've done by painting. Is prep pretty much like painting a room by masking off the parts you don't want painted? Cause that seems fairly simple to do, albeit, time consuming to make sure you've covered everything you don't want painted. Did you paint uppers and lowers (on either side of the boots)? did you also paint the fork brace?

And finally, (sorry, this has been my latest effort in blacking out, so this post comes at a good time), can i paint the shocks? I know they can be PC, but you have to take everything apart which is a pain. I also know i can go buy aftermarket shocks that are black, but i've got a pretty bad back and all of my options for aftermarket tend to give a stiffer ride and the stock shocks are perfect for me. Can i just take the shocks off and slap a few coats of paint on them? Or will i end up getting paint in places it shouldn't be and Eff them up?

thank, and sorry for the long winded response.
Yep it is shiny... prep work is alot of sanding... ALOT, got to get it baby butt smooth then you can paint, i masked off the area's i did not want painted and then just shot them, the area between my trees is plastic, not painted, it is removable for my windshield, under it is a leather wrap that a forum member made me, ya you can use the same epoxy paint on your shocks from my understanding, i belive that is what ed has done...

Guys do not get me wrong... Powdercoat is some strong stuff, i am not saying that it is equal to paint by any means cause it is not even close it is MUCH MUCH MUCH stronger... but as far as being able to do this in your own garage, cheap, without disassembly, and have it hold up like a champ, you can not beat the epoxy paint... you simply can not
In my need for non-shiny stuff, would mixing in some sand (to the epoxy) give it that much desired gritty look or will it still be shiny and also feel gritty? Or is this just a bad idea altogether? Can i just use

Old 02-19-2008 | 03:48 PM
JRK5892
Banned

if you get online i am sure you can find the epoxy paint in flat black... they local hardware store by me only carry's gloss.... that is what i wanted

Old 02-19-2008 | 04:51 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

i used Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Coating- flat black- for my fender struts, coil cover, and rear shock cups..... i wouldn't use it on my rims and hubs, though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3s4nMR0yxk

Old 02-19-2008 | 07:00 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain

powder coating worked perfectly for me. much more durable than paint when its done right.
i pounded my dust seal covers on with a plastic hammer with nary a mark.
my 2 cents

Old 02-22-2008 | 04:41 PM
fxdwgcanuck
|
Cruiser

sorry guys been busy sanding and preping my lower leggs going to paint tomarrow