Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil scavenging technique on '06 Dyna's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:56 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oil scavenging technique on '06 Dyna's?

I removed the break-in oil, changed the filter (OEM HD) and switched to Mobile-1 V-twin an hour ago at 250 miles. Of course it only took 3 quarts. I did remove the spark plug boots and cranked the engine a few turns and only a little more oil came out; not much to be gained there but I though I would try anyway.

Anyway, without external oil line's, how can we scavenge out all of the old oil? It is possible to modify an old oil filter with a tap to spill out to a container for this purpose? Don't remember the stage where the TC filters but it was opposite of the EVO's if I remember right. Just think out loud here. Any tips for doing this?

James

Old 01-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Budds
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil scavenging technique on '06 Dyna's?

https://www.roguechopper.com/miva/4....&Store_Code=RC

With some thought and resourcefulness you could Make your own device.....
But for my EVO, the above is "Cheap" enough that personally I wouldnt waste my time.

Just MHO...........

Budds............

Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an e-mail in to rogue choppers to see if anything is in the works for the 06 Dyna 88's or if these is any way for a current scavenging kit to fit with some mods.

Their e-mail is; info@roguechopper.com

If they see some forum interest and a potential market, perhaps they can work something up. Personally, I used this on EVO's and think it greatly extends engine longevity.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:59 AM
06WideGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wondered the same thing regarding the Scavenger system and 06 Dynas but assumed that since there are no external oil lines this kind of a system is not possible. The demo on their web site was convicing enough that I would invest in the system if it were available for my 06 Dyna. 1/2 quart of old remains in the engine when you change the oil. It would be nice to be able to flush it.

Steve

Old 01-28-2006, 12:47 PM
JonHanna
Road Master

Yeah it would. I tried the same stuff and even held the bike over then back up thing to try to get more out of it.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:49 PM
WildBill76
Tourer

Thanks for the info. I have ridden for over Thirty years, and still was not aware of the amount of oil left in the dry sump. I changed My oil in my 06 Dyna and it refilled at a little over two and a half quarts. I had put in two and a half. Then ran until hot then topped it off. So that showed me that I had 10 to 12 oz. left in the sump after draining. My previous bikes had regular oil tanks, so I had always used the complete fill value. Duh ! I guess that was why I tended to have oil misting from the Breather on my previous Harley's. Until I got my new Dyna I never had heard about checking the oil level when hot. I had checked them cold. So far no misting on My 06 TC88. It has been a long time, but I think I had a Sportster once that had a sump drain plug. Its purpose was to get rid of oil in the dry sump. Usually in the spring before you kicked it over, you would drain any oil from the sump. Otherwise you burp oil from the breather right onto the pavement.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:33 PM
CTtrapper
Cruiser

I have an e-mail in to rogue choppers to see if anything is in the works for the 06 Dyna 88's or if these is any way for a current scavenging kit to fit with some mods.
Hey, me too for my 06 Glide. I talked to someone in service there and he was not sure how they were going to handle the 06s. He said send a Email and the owner would see it when he got back from Vacation.