Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Baffles = Ticket for loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Quiet Baffles = Ticket for loud pipes

ORIGINAL: extech

FIGHT IT!!!!!
Am

Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 PM
CrashX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Topspin...

Go to the Abate Website, Palm Beach County Chapter... You'll find a bit about the problem on A1A with noise enforcement and what they'd (Abate) would like you to do (in order to document the motorcyclist's case). Abate is looking at this issue quite closely.

http://www.abatepalmbeach.com/legislativenews.html

Jim aka Kiltiemon

Old 02-19-2008, 10:24 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent info on the ABATE site. Our local ABATE needs a bit of help with their site, because it's nowhere near as good at explaining the benefits ABATE provides to the biking community. Great find.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:14 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya all know what the bottom line is here...... it's REVENUE . It's got nothing to do with how loud your bikes pipes are. It's a source of untapped income for all these cities and towns strapped for cash, and cant raise taxes any higher. What better way to pop an out of town biker riding just "passing through". Bikers are a CASH COW for them. Who can take off time or work to go down and fight one of these??? REVENUE folks. Easy to pick out one segment of society and stick it to them. I've heard word that now they're picking on bikes for excessive carbon emissions, adding to "global warming".Just Wait for the day the government slapsa "carbon tax" tothe cost of the bike. That day is coming folks. I heard something that the CHIPS out in California are running "GREEN"bikes now. No more Harleys.....some jap bike that's been coverted to run on biofuel.Canyou imagine what a financial impact the businesses inDaytona would have it all the bikers decided to hold BIKE WEEK someplace else more BIKER FRIENDLY?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:36 PM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

I was reading about the 2006 and 2010 EPA regulations, and it looks like it might becoming illegal to install any parts that alter the emmission system (air quality and noise) on a bike. I bought a K&N RK-3909 the other day, and there is a CARB sticker in there and instructions to mount it for proof that it does not alter the emissions. I also noticed, that there is now a EPA certified PowerCommander, and a "Off Road Only" version. The Screamin Eagle stuffis the same way, thereare EPA versions, and off road (racing) versions.

I think it all comes down to how hungry the officer is to fill his quota as you drive by. I talked to a couple officers in my neighborhood and they said they got plenty others to deal with and pretty much ignore the bikes. However, these same LEOs are cracking down on all the teenagers with thier Jap cars and loud exhaust. all over I see signs posted saying engine braking is illegal. My son got a ticket driving his Honda hatchback cage with loud exhaust. I wouldn't be surprised if we'd have to take our bikes in soon for emission testing, like the cars.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:42 PM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

ORIGINAL: LWOS

Ya all know what the bottom line is here...... it's REVENUE . It's got nothing to do with how loud your bikes pipes are. It's a source of untapped income for all these cities and towns strapped for cash, and cant raise taxes any higher. What better way to pop an out of town biker riding just "passing through". Bikers are a CASH COW for them. Who can take off time or work to go down and fight one of these??? REVENUE folks. Easy to pick out one segment of society and stick it to them. I've heard word that now they're picking on bikes for excessive carbon emissions, adding to "global warming".Just Wait for the day the government slapsa "carbon tax" tothe cost of the bike. That day is coming folks. I heard something that the CHIPS out in California are running "GREEN"bikes now. No more Harleys.....some jap bike that's been coverted to run on biofuel.Canyou imagine what a financial impact the businesses inDaytona would have it all the bikers decided to hold BIKE WEEK someplace else more BIKER FRIENDLY?
I hate to say it, but I think you're right, its all about revenue. Here we have a seatbelt law, and its interesting that something like 75% of the fine goes to the municipality, and 25% goes to the state. For a traffic citation, its the other way around. A couple of my friends were pulled over for speeding or rolling stops, and the leo said he'd write up a seatbelt ticket instead of speading to give them a break. I thought this was awefully funny, especially with the seatbelt roadblocks they have every other weekend, and every holiday, so I looked it up on the net. Now, I totaly believe in wearing my seatbelt, but I don't believe in someone forcing to do something. I think they raising revenue in the name of "safety".

Old 02-24-2008, 09:58 PM
OSP1340
Cruiser

I'm going to get flamed for this but here I go.

I am a LEO. And yes I have given out tickets for loud pipes.
Before you go off the deep end on me.
The Three tickets I've written were due to the riders having drag pipes or V&H with out the baffles in them.

The only reason I wrote them was because the guys were being smart asses by reving the **** out of the bike as they passed me.
Now this day was a big poker run going on and there were a lot of bike with some "non-compliant" pipes on their bikes.
All of them rode past me like it was just another ride but these three guys (all riding together) thought it was funny to do that in front of me.

I had the last laugh.

I give alot of breaks to bikers and some that really shoud get a ticket but non the less they get a warning.

All I ask is don't be an ***.

Oh BTW one was drunker then **** so you can flame for that one to.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:30 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OSP1340.... More and more people are losing respect for law enforcement, especially kids. But for grownups to taunt law enforcement is just plain stupid. Sure, there are always afew bad LEO'S that cause problems for the rest, but most are only enforcing laws on the books.I'd have thrown that drunk rider into jail. He's a danger to himself and to anyone else on the road.
I dont drink alcohol and drive a car, let alone a motorcycle.
But I do know that all towns, cities, municipalities, etc are looking for ways to increase their coffers. If bikers break a local noise law, then the money stay's in the community.....and nice weekends can bring big bucks into the coffers with little effort.

I've only gotten one ticket in my life that I didnt feel I deserved, and it was going 55 in a posted 50mph zone. I was 20 yards away from the 55mph sign, going through a small town too. It was the last day of the month on a Friday. That was the last ticket I got, going on 15 years ago, and I still remember how upset I was for him giving it to me.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Twisted Humor
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Topspin

It was based on me idling past him at 5 mph. No decible test.
I would really fight it. But that means you have to show up in that town again. Is it worth your time?

Quick Reply: Quiet Baffles = Ticket for loud pipes