Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Baffles = Ticket for loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:57 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Quiet Baffles = Ticket for loud pipes

ORIGINAL: Topspin

ORIGINAL: wallyn

That is why I kept my original Harley Quiet Pipes. I can swap out if I ever get a fix it ticket. Only worth $25 on Ebay anyway.
I did too. But when I have to get rid of the aftermarket pipes... I'll get rid of the bike too.

Anyway, I was riding on a scenic beach road when ticketed. I was going 5 mph. I am not an azzhole (revving) when riding. Everytime a bike went by (they all had aftermarket pipes) the officer said "see, you saved him a ticket." I'm guessing 20 bikes went by during my ordeal.

I will be fighting this ticket. I have been in the car biz for 27 years and I'm a wolverine when cornered.
You should fight this - and you will win.
His "guess" at the sound level can not stand up in court, it's really just an opinion. Now if your local law says "stock pipes only" - then ??????
Obviously that community wants you to stay out - so don't go there anymore. Don't go to the restaurants or stores (even in your cage) - just stay away

There is a federal noise standard and I'd guess that 90% of us are illegal - ON A FEDERAL LEVEL - however - this is really not enforceable without SPL meters, and it's difficult for localities to enforce federal laws like this one. HD obviously bowed down to the EPA and was forced to put "OFF ROAD USE ONLY" stamps on the SEII. I'd guess if you got caught wiht these - then you don't have much argument - but the V&H don't have this stamp.

For some reason the aftermarket guys are not required to put the stamp on?

I live in MA - which has far too many restrictions on everything - but I've never been hassled by the law for loud pipes.
I took my MC license test on a HD with illegal pipes (stamped) - and the State Trooper could not have cared less - as long as my registration and inspection was in order - he just didn't care.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:29 PM
cou9ar
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Reverend

I have to say, you're all correct really..

Firstly, there is a feeling that we all like a 'better' sound than stock. This is clearly subjective & an individual thing, but two points here - loud equals bad news for both your own & others hearing. It certainly DOESN'T save lives.

Secondly, evidence of a breach of the law must be proved in court. If the law states no buggering about with the pipes, the lawman can describe or photo that. If it's simply noise, they have (over here anyways) to prove it by a third party test. In the UK, that's via VOSA (Vehicle Operator Services Agency) These dudes simply slap a ticket on you & your bike at the roadside & you get the bike towed away at your expense. The Police are pussycats in comparison!!

If you know you're stretching the rules, then really you can't complain if you get ticketed can you? Like speeding, it's just one of dem tings..

The Police have to be consistent in their application of the law, which is a seperate thing entirely & it's a sad man that relies on that in court.

Brum, brummm...

'eh whad ya say there? speak up my good man j/k yes Loud is bad for hearing. ..............BUT! Yes loud pipes DO save lives, you are rolling down the blvd and you see a cage nosing out from a side street, and you give a crack of the pipes and lo and behold they actually notice you. instead of pulling out in front of you and you sliding into them on yer *** and get up to kill them with the pieces that did fall off your ride, So do loud pipes save lives YES!..........well that cagers life anyway, just my frickin opinion on Loud Pipes...................okay rant over Reverand you are free to go[8D]

Old 02-17-2008, 09:27 PM
jp13
Tourer

I'm running rinehart flush, seem pretty loud. Cops will look but haven't bothered me yet.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,961 Likes on 22,549 Posts

In case you guys were wondering how loud they are... I got another ticket today in the town of Ocean Ridge (FL).

I was idling when I was pulled over.

My last ticket there was without them (QB).

This is starting to **** me off.
It sounds like pure and unadulterated harrassment to me.
Beat the ticket, and beat the cop's ***...(just kiddin' )
Sounds like he is an azzhole though, and probably deserves it.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:50 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that sucks, in Oklahoma the says any noise level above stock is illegal. If got a ticket for pipes I would just have to pay it. since you changed the baffles out I would go and talk with the judge and tell him you tried to be right after the last ticket and spent money fixing the issue. The judge may take pity on you and let it go or tell you to fix it. What does the Florida law say?
good luck

Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 AM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spoke with a friend in Denver today and it's even worse there. Limit is 80 dcb at 25' AND the exhaust must have the EPA stamp. So if you're stopped without it, it's a 500 dollar fine. The AMA is fighting this. Denver amended their rule last June to include the EPA stamp any bike from 1982 on need to have this stamp.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Topspin, I know this $ucks but,

Since you live here I assume you are familiar with the recent motorcycle issues in Delray Beach over noise. The bottom line is that not just here, but anywhere in the USA, you can be busted for having anything other than stock pipes on your bike. There is no requirement for any sound measurements at all by the LEO.

Back in the late 70's the EPA passed regulations that required all OEM exhaust systems to pass EPA noise standards and that those exhaust systems be embossed with a certification label. While this is a federal law and as such not typically enforced at local levels, cities, states, towns, etc. are free to decide to take it upon themselves to enforce it. You can be legally cited because the exhaust system is not stock and as such can not be certified under the Fedeal regulation. This is where Delray Beach is headed with their ordinance.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cHarley...

Let's ride someday.

Tony

Old 02-18-2008, 02:43 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

cHarley...

Let's ride someday.

Tony
Tony, PM sent

Old 02-18-2008, 03:20 PM
extech
Road Master

I read an article about Denver's noise ordiance, all the tickets that were issued that the people actually fought were all thrown out of court.
FIGHT IT!!!!!

Quick Reply: Quiet Baffles = Ticket for loud pipes