Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Baffles = Ticket for loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:58 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Quiet Baffles = Ticket for loud pipes

My pipes state very plainly on the bottom "For off road use only"

So I know, that should I have the unfortunate encounter with Johnny Ticket-Master.............I could get a ticket. I won't whine either, as I KNOW the pipes are "For Off Road Use Only"

I think it has something to do with "Accepting Responsibility" for ones actions, but I could be wrong.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Reverend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say, you're all correct really..

Firstly, there is a feeling that we all like a 'better' sound than stock. This is clearly subjective & an individual thing, but two points here - loud equals bad news for both your own & others hearing. It certainly DOESN'T save lives.

Secondly, evidence of a breach of the law must be proved in court. If the law states no buggering about with the pipes, the lawman can describe or photo that. If it's simply noise, they have (over here anyways) to prove it by a third party test. In the UK, that's via VOSA (Vehicle Operator Services Agency) These dudes simply slap a ticket on you & your bike at the roadside & you get the bike towed away at your expense. The Police are pussycats in comparison!!

If you know you're stretching the rules, then really you can't complain if you get ticketed can you? Like speeding, it's just one of dem tings..

The Police have to be consistent in their application of the law, which is a seperate thing entirely & it's a sad man that relies on that in court.

Brum, brummm...

Old 02-17-2008, 10:00 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SilentWarrior

ORIGINAL: Topspin

It was based on me idling past him at 5 mph. No decible test.
Fight it... the Officer doesnt have a case without a decibel meter. It just sounded loud to me your honor...What BS !!!
Yep...I agree with Silent warrior..fight it.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:49 AM
wallyn
Road Captain

That is why I kept my original Harley Quiet Pipes. I can swap out if I ever get a fix it ticket. Only worth $25 on Ebay anyway.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:11 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Topspin

In case you guys were wondering how loud they are... I got another ticket today in the town of Ocean Ridge (FL).

I was idling when I was pulled over.

My last ticket there was without them (QB).

This is starting to **** me off.
I do have to admit the first thought I had when I read this was perhaps you were idling when they caught up with you !!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Rodent
Road Master

Too bad you weren't a LEO. Cops don't give cops tickets.
Go ahead and fight it.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:40 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unless there's a specific decibel level written into the noise ordinance you're not going to get very far fighting this. When it's a cops opinion against a civilians in court you know who's gonna win out. Since I live and Florida and I'm pretty sure there isn't a state law about loud pipes I'm gonna assume this is just a local ordinance, which means the local judge is gonna be behind it even more. I'd say you rode past a cop who was having a bad day and he took it out on you.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 AM
BobbyD
Road Warrior

ElectraRick, where in Upstate NY are you? I live upstate near Albany and was considering changing out the pipes but if they consistently bust your a$$ I'm not sure if I want to take the chance. I live in a small town and some of the Leo's herethe "super cop" attitude.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:09 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: sleepman54

...Unless there's a specific decibel level written into the noise ordinance you're not going to get very far fighting this. When it's a cops opinion against a civilians in court you know who's gonna win out. Since I live and Florida and I'm pretty sure there isn't a state law about loud pipes I'm gonna assume this is just a local ordinance...
Yes, there is a law in Florida, and it's REALLY strict. See my post above.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: wallyn

That is why I kept my original Harley Quiet Pipes. I can swap out if I ever get a fix it ticket. Only worth $25 on Ebay anyway.
I did too. But when I have to get rid of the aftermarket pipes... I'll get rid of the bike too.

Anyway, I was riding on a scenic beach road when ticketed. I was going 5 mph. I am not an azzhole (revving) when riding. Everytime a bike went by (they all had aftermarket pipes) the officer said "see, you saved him a ticket." I'm guessing 20 bikes went by during my ordeal.

I will be fighting this ticket. I have been in the car biz for 27 years and I'm a wolverine when cornered.

Quick Reply: Quiet Baffles = Ticket for loud pipes