Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty- ys or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:29 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Extended warranty- ys or no?

ORIGINAL: JerseyDevil

I'm going this week to finalize my paperwork for my 08 super glide. Is the extended warranty worth the extra money?

Thanks
Some of the answers I've seen given herereflect the kind of riding, or maybe even lack of riding, distance or cross country.
When I'm near home, and if I had a breakdown, I can make a call and have help in a heartbeat. However, I don't ride as many miles near home as I do far from home.
Am I only one of the few that knows Murphy and the Law that he enforces.
Murphy's Law #1 Things will go wrong and at the worst possible time!!

The two longest trips I took last summer wasone bike and two up for 10,146 miles did 48 states in 34 days no reservation at all, made it up as I went, the other was 4500 mile in 18 days with me and one other bike, he rode alone, I rode two up, no plans we made it up as we rode. I also take 3000 mile and moreweekend puttssuch asthe annual HD Forums Mid-West Rally.

For you guys that say you do your own work on your bikes, try that when your alone on the side of the road and2000 miles from home and have a breakdown or even a flat.You don't always even know where you are let alone knowing where shops for parts are, or how to get there, in fact more times than not a cell phone doesn't have reception and or it's past bussiness hours or worst yet a3 day holiday weekend.

My warranty has paid for it self many times over.

So when folks say:
"1-if any product is such a piece of crap you have buy additional warranty to cover repairs. I don't want it.
2- extended warranties are a major profit center for retailers (from toasters to motorcycles).
If they actually were needed, or useful, retailers couldn'e/wouldn't sell them."

I have to wonder what kind of sheltered life has that person hashad!

Now for a blast from the past thatshows just a bit of what I'm talking about.

Here's an HD Forumsthread about HD warranty from the past:

Here's what I wrote then: Ihave updated itfor this thread
I bought it (the warranty)with my 2003 Ultra.
The bike came with one year,
the dealer gave me a second year
and I bought 4 more years to total 6 year.
It expires in July of 2009.

I figure it's at least paid for itself a few times.

I have over 70,000 mile, still covered.
I have the 103 stroker upgrade, still covered.
Been to HD shops all across America, still covered.
I have my bike wired for a trailer and there's a Hitch Doctor trailer hitch on the rear.
First $100.00 reimbursement on towing.
On the road,top priority service, and
If you have to wait for a part, first $1,000.00 reimbursement on Motel/Hotel.
$50.00 deductable per visit

Here's a few things that I remember, all were just $50.00 deductable;

Bike wouldn't start. Tow, Volt Regulator, Starter relay, Battery and labor. $50.00
Fried stator, During Rolling thunder, DC. Stator replaced. $50.00
Speedo and lights were acting up. Replaced sensor and wire harness. $50.00
Shifter lever rod arm striped from trany rod, Twice!! Big job, $50.00 each time
Radio audio switch malfunction. Radio replaced and also hadthe green "N"light replaced and the passing lampswitch replaced at the same visit.$50.00
Oil pump, cam, cam tentioner shoes, sprockets & chains and all bearingsreplaced. $50.00

That's all that comes to mind right now, but that's enough for me to be glad I spent $1200.00
(I think) for the service warranty. I have as much confidence to ride my Ultra cross country now as I did when she only had 1000 miles on her.

I have never had the warranty validity contested at any Harley shop.

The link to the HD Forums

Old 02-17-2008, 01:07 AM
scottharstad
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to agree w/chappy on that one. Sounds like experience wins this one. I myself hve the 7year warranty. I question sometimes if i should have spent the 2100 for it. Hopefully, I won't have worry about using it but then again I hope I don't have to use the insurance I pay on both my bikes and house either.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

At chappy's suggestion, I edited to make this clearer (I hope):

I think everyone is right in their own way. If you take a look, you'll see that high-mileage riders get their $$ worth. Low mileage riders wish they had their $$ back. Pretty logical. If I had chappy's 70,000 mile repair experience with a 10,000 mile bike I'd set the thing on fire at the MOCO museum. He rides long and enjoys the hell outta that thing. It makes me smile just thinking about the places he's been with it! He's also not gonna want to worry about getting the thing fixed when he's 50 miles on the lonely side of BFE.

For a rider who's gonna put 5K a year on it (and presumably keep the maint. up to date) you may be better off banking the $$ or spending it on goodies as you go. A HOG membership also has some of the benefits like tow/strand reimbursement, and your insurance, AAA, and AMA membershipsmay pitch in too.

Think about how you're going to use the bike, your willingness to be without if it needs repair, and your ability to risk going into your pockets if it breaks after the 2yr. MOCO std. warranty expires.

ONE THING TO THINK ABOUT: If you're interested in the warranty at all, try like hell to get the price down. The dealer has a lot of room on this no matter what they say. The offer HD makes to you at the end of your 2 yr. factory limit can't be negotiated at all. Stay away from aftermarket warranties. Most of them are crap, there's no guarantee that the company will even be in business when you need them, and they're notorious for screwing you whenever they can - they've already got all the money they can make on you right up front.

Just my 2 cents. Ride safe and ride often!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:01 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

Hi,
I'm not sure if I wasn't clear in my postor if maybe you had a typo like I do so often,
But, My bike isn't a 10,000 mile bike!
Just to be clear.
But, I have felt like setting it on fire a few times. lol
Thanks
chappy

ORIGINAL: mfuchs2004
If I had chappy's repair experience with a 10,000 mile bike I'd set the thing on fire at the MOCO museum.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:34 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: chappy

Hi,
I'm not sure if I wasn't clear in my postor if maybe you had a typo like I do so often,
Just to be clear.
Thanks
chappy

If I had chappy's repair experience with a 10,000 mile bike I'd set the thing on fire at the MOCO museum.
Sorry if I wasn't clear either chappy. I'll go back and clean up the post. I'll try not to muddy it up some more, LOL!

I meant to say that if I had as many repairs in 10,000 miles as you've had on your 70,000 miles that I'd set it on fire, etc...

I think I was PERFECTLY CLEAR that I'm jealous about where you've been however! I have an autistic 10 year old at home. Sometimes he loves to ride, and sometimes he refuses to do anything except sort his trading cards. Every chance we get, he's either on the back or at grandmas so we can ride.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:39 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

Yup, That's clear enough, Thanks for such a speedy reply, no harm no foul.

You have a reality that few know and even less understand.

Although for adifferent cause, my wife and I have a reason why we don't make reservations when we go on road trips. She has MS and sometimes we can only put in a short day and sometimes we need to stay a day or two in one place so she can regainthe level of energy that is needed to ride let alone ride a lot of miles.

Even setting a date to head out for the ride has to change and even requires to be scratched altogether sometimes due to an MS flareup. We push ourselves sometimes, because of the love we have for riding and for travel. We both know that out days or seasons of ridingare slowing and will at some point become so difficult we will have to rethink the long trips and settle for shorter and even very short rides. We have talked about a sidecar, but for now, my wife feels as though that would be a type of throwing in the towel. I don't agree, but, I'm not going to argue the point either. Maybe someday.

All that to say this, just enjoy every mile that you get and especially those miles with your son. Although I have been accused of bragging about some of the miles or trips I've had, it has never been my intent to raise myselfabove anybody else. But, at the same time, I do enjoy serving some humble pie every now and again. lol

chappy

ps I still have felt like setting the bike on fire every now and again. lol
just the nature of the beast

ORIGINAL: chappy

Hi,
Just to be clear.
Thanks
chappy

Sorry if I wasn't clear either chappy. I'll go back and clean up the post. I'll try not to muddy it up some more, LOL!

I meant to say that if I had as many repairs in 10,000 miles as you've had on your 70,000 miles that I'd set it on fire, etc...

I think I was PERFECTLY CLEAR that I'm jealous about where you've been however! I have an autistic 10 year old at home. Sometimes he loves to ride, and sometimes he refuses to do anything except sort his trading cards. Every chance we get, he's either on the back or at grandmas so we can ride.