Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty- ys or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:57 AM
fastfxrs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extended warranty- ys or no?

ORIGINAL: Chipstah

Just be careful and read the fine print and ask questions. The 3 year extended warranty for example is really only a ONE year extension! But they do include some other stuff for the full 3 years that's not in the original warranty (tires I think for example) so that's how they can get away calling it a 3 year EXTENDED warranty - extends some of the coverage for the first two years and adds ONE year on. Seems wicked expensive to me, but to each his own.
The tire/wheel warrantyI had wasseperate and IMO not worth the money. Had it on my buell ulysses and like any bike I've ever owned, wore out tires before I had any punctures, flats, dinged rims etc. I only got the tire warranty cause I was riding off road some and the wheels were pretty pricey to replace. As far as the extended warranty, my '07 WG is the first new H-D i've bought without the warranty. Mostly wanted to keep the payment down and could'nt afford the warranty outright. It all depends how long you plan to keep the bike and how many miles you plan to put on. I put on 15K Miles a year and probably should have one. I do all my own Maint. and don't always keep the reciepts of oil, filters, gaskets, cause I buy them from different places (well, I'm not that organized), and don't want the hassle of getting an extended warranty claim denied. I've never had a factory warranty claim denied and I've had plenty.

The extended warranties I've had in the past have always had some cash value left before I tradedbikes in, but with no claims on 3 different bikes, I'd have been better off not getting them. I had 82,000 miles on my '89 FXRS with no warranty of any kind. Of course continually trying to make it faster turned it into quite the money pit, but who hasn't done that? I plan on keeping my WG pretty close to stock so I'm not as worried about longevity. I hope to keep this one. I've said that before. Hopefully my wife will hold me too it. lol

Good luck with your choice. The main thing is if it helps you sleep better at night, it might be worth it.

tim

Old 02-16-2008, 11:13 AM
SoCalFXDF
Intermediate

I don't get extended warrenties. I ride around 10k a year and do my own service. I figure if the bike is well maintainedmost defects should occur before my warrenty expires.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:28 AM
fastfxrs
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: SoCalFXDF

I don't get extended warrenties. I ride around 10k a year and do my own service. I figure if the bike is well maintainedmost defects should occur before my warrenty expires.
Ditto that, I could have used much fewer words in my last post.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 PM
hawkyou
Tourer

Take a walk through a HD shop one day and you might change your mind.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:57 PM
srob
Advanced

I actually bought a 4 yr, then cancelled it due to mods. Took it in twice andstealer told me it wasnt covered due to motor work. Money was credited to the balance of my loan. Paid it off sooner.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:09 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain

I don't plan on messing with the motor. Stage 1 but that's about it. I'll probably put around 5k miles a year (damn winters). Never even thought about the tire thing, I figured if you get a flat or something it's up to you to fix it. My buddy hooked me up, he's friends with one of the owners and has brought in a ton of guys to buy bikes so I got a good deal to begin with so that may factor into it a little. Anyway I'll wait to see what the actual numbers are and go from there. Thanks again for the info.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 PM
tazman509
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta have faith on it not breaking down. Plus it can be a pain if you do mods. Not worth the $$ in my opinion.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:26 PM
twofish
Road Master

Extended warranties IMO aren’t worth the money
no matter what the dealers say.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Clutch66
Tourer

I have the 5 year - that is 3 past the factory. I think I paid $1700 if I remember correctly.

The reason I did it was that I was in the stealer having service on my '03 and I was talking to a guy that had been all over the country on his 1999 full dresser, and had something like 210k miles on it. He told me that he was on his third engine, all under his extended warranty. He said that he was worried that someone would put out a hit contract on him to get out of the warranty. That three engines at what $3500 each plus?

About a month later I bought my '05 and bought the extended warranty.

C66

Old 02-16-2008, 11:06 PM
dynasty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1-if any product is such a piece of crap you have buy additional warranty to cover repairs I don't want it.
2- extended warranties are a major profit center for retailers (from toasters to motorcycles).
If they actually were needed, or useful, retailers couldn'e/wouldn't sell them.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty- ys or no?