Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*&&^%$#@! Torx bit

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:40 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default *&&^%$#@! Torx bit

Ever have one of those quick 5 minute projects turn into an afternoon of aggravation?
I went out to my garage at 2:00 this afternoon to loosen up my triple clamps and slide the tubes up about 1/2". Three bolts into it I snapped the teeth off a T45 Torx bit.I have a bunch of these so I grab one marked T47 and low and behold it fits, hmm maybe that's why the 45 broke, noop the 47 promptly breaks as well.So I'm off to my favorite tool outlet and I get another 47, get home and promptly break it grrrr.This time I get a little smarter and shoot some WD40 on the bolt while I run down to the local mom and pop hardware store on the off chance they may have one.They do and it's an Ace brand "guaranteed for life" so I buy it and run home and WHAT THE HELL it doesn't fit! Appearantly the 47s I had bought from the Tool Outlet were mismarked and what I actually needed was a 45.So one more trip down to my local hardware store and I get the correct T45, get back and after soaking with WD for about 30 min it finally breaks free.Long story short, $10 worth of Torx bits, $5 worth of gas and 2 hours later my little 5 minute freebie project is done.Somebody ought to make a kit to replace every last one of these $%^& Torx head bolts with an allen or even an old fashioned hex head.I may replace em one at a time myself but with my luck I'll need two complete sets of Torx bits to do it.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:30 PM
TheeBoy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *&&^%$#@! Torx bit

That sucks but atleast you got it done, and you got your free front end drop

Old 02-15-2008, 10:34 PM
TheeBoy
Tourer

question for you, I just switched out to 11" 412's and I noticed that my jack won't fit under the bike any more. Did you have to ride up onto 2x4's front and back to raise the front end so you could slide up the trees?

stupid question that I probably answered myself but I like reassurance.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:34 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

dang junk. I bet it is not made here in the states !! grrr....

Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

Junk for sure! I thought I would be smart and get a torx set from TheSnapON Man. Holy *****! $278.00 for a set of 9.
Sorry but didn't get my money on that. Can buy a lot of Craftsman for that price!

Here is a tip I learned from the Harley tech at the dealer, If that damm bolt won't budge and you're ruining torx bits left and right, Take a chizel [ down side is bolt will be trash! ] and very carefully give it a few good wacks with a larger hammer or small hand held sledgeand Presto! it will loosen up the locktight and it willcome out like butter. Be very careful not to let the chizel slip and trash you paint or chrome. Works Great!!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 PM
LtRex
Cruiser

I have been there, and done that! And the crazy thing is, I have every Torx bit I have ever messed up in one of my box drawers! What on earth am I saving them for? [&:] I bet I have 8 - 9 of them!

I have noticed that even if you use the correct size, they can wobble about a little as you begin to crank on them..

Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how long do you think it will take to put the P-pad on?? (once you finally get it).

I have lost count of the different torx bits I have bought over the years, and not just for the Harley.[:@][:@]I have one #45 that is twisted and distorted, but am still able to use it (just to spite it).

DougJ

Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I friggin hate those torx. Give me an allen head any day of the week.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:11 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

ATLEAST ITS DONE AND OVERWITH.........FOR NOW.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:13 PM
cou9ar
Road Master

Alright then, so what size is actually the right size cuz after 11 bike's and 3 of them harleys I still aint frickin sure, are we using the regular torx or the plus size ones? cuz ya know some will fit and work and some will fit and twist, I say if ya are lucky enough to get it out...............change it out[8D] well thats the plan anyway

Quick Reply: *&&^%$#@! Torx bit