Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a good lock and chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:27 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default need a good lock and chain

anybody got a lead on a good lock and chain they can recommend.....

Old 02-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Gilly
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need a good lock and chain

Nothing specifically for a bike. When on vacation, I have used a piece of heavy log chain and large Master lock. It just keeps the guys away that will roll it into a van or pickup. If a "crew" visits, it's gone anyways, (4 guys lift it and carry it away into van or truck). Unless You get a long enough piece to get the chain around something solid like a lamp post, etc, then they'll probably pass you by, but no guarantee. But a nice heavy piece of actual log chain, that would be hard to use a bolt cutters on, should keep the casual thief away. I have a piece about 4ft long. Hard to carry, but if it isn't a substantial piece of chain it just won't do the trick. At 4ft you should be able to get it from wheel to wheel, barely. You might want to measure up your bike to see the minimum length you need wheel to wheel, in case you don't have something to chain it to, you can chain the wheels together. If you do have a pole to chain it to, then just chain one wheel to the pole. Hope this helps. Mainly I worry about it on vacations where a stolen bike means a big big hassle.

Gilly

Old 02-14-2008, 04:19 PM
jhmp
Cruiser

Gilly sumed it up when he said lock it to something else...
but grade 8 chains are available, gonna be expensive. I dont think bolt cutters will get through 'em.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:35 PM
wkdavistx
Tourer

If you just want to make it inconvenient for the thieves, then I would suggest something that is lighter and won't scratch your bike (run it through the frame and around a pole.
Kryptonite locking cable.
http://www.motoleather.com/krsuarca.html

Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I use at home is a big MF chain locked around a post that holds my porch up at one end and has a Kryptonite motorcycle U-lock pushed through the last link on the other. I slip the U-lock through a frame member and lock it and it's done. Easy on; easy off. Easy enough that I use it every time (I know how lazy I am.)

Everyone knows a determined theif gets what he wants. I just don't want to have to deal with amateurs.Imobilizer means they can't start it, fork lock means they can't roll it, chain means they can't carry it, alarm means at least the neighbors will be flipping them off as they drive away. If they go through all that, then they've proven they're woth the bullet. (Nah, just kidding. I live in Massachusetts. If someone steals my bike I go to jail because it's my fault for having something worth stealing....)

Old 02-14-2008, 08:10 PM
marcss
Road Captain

This looks versatile and easy to carry.
http://www.masterlockcycle.com/produ...ntumcuff.shtml

Old 02-14-2008, 08:16 PM
marcss
Road Captain

I like this lock because it's 6' long but you get to use almost the full 6' if needed. A six foot cable only gives you an effective 3' because it has to lock to itself.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:16 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

basically, any of the bike locks would be fine. If someone wants it bad enough they will figure out how to take it. Anything that will stop the wheel from rolling would do the trick to avoid the lazy thief.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:18 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

Where is Florida are you? I might have one of those nice cable kripto things laying around I could toss you for a little good Karma.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Clutch66
Tourer

Locks can be cut with big enough bolt cutters.
Chain can be cut with big enough bolt cutters.
Cable can NOT be cut with bolt cutters because all it does is flatten out. Basically, the only way to cut a cable is to burn it in half with a torch.
Kryptonite cable locks are available at the stealer for about 60 - 70 bucks - or - you can go to Home Depot like I did and get the exact same thing in a different color for about 30 bucks. The lock is built onto the end of the cable and uses a barrel key (like H-D keys)

But, as said above, a lock is only as good as the object it is locked to.

I was at Daytona one year and in a bar, and someone cut down a utility pole in the parking lot just to steal a new H-D. The guy said that he had a Cobra-link lock on it, which is supposed to be the best (and most expensive). His lock didn't help a bit after they cut down that pole. They stole his bike and his lock.

C66

Quick Reply: need a good lock and chain