Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock ECM Remap or Aftermarket FI Tuner???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:00 PM
SoCalFXDF
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock ECM Remap or Aftermarket FI Tuner???

I bought V&H Staggered Short Shots from a friend he took off his 06 WG when he bought a V&H 2 into 1 Pro Pipe. Called V&H tech support they told me they bolt right on my 08 Fat Bob. Then I got a SE Stage I air intake kit. I haven't installed anything yet.

I was told that I could get a remap at a local independent shop.The wrench at that shop told me he couldn't doremaps for an 08 because Harley changed the ECM in 08.He also told me that the dealer sends the VIN back to the factory and that they could modify my warranty if not void it. He suggested I get a PC III but I'm not sure about the O2 sensor eliminators the PC III uses. I would like to stay with a closed loop system.

I talked to the service dept. at the dealer. They told me that lots of people do just what I'm planning to do without any problems. I don't think these changes will hurt the motor but if something else goes wrong I don't want to be left holding the bag.

I see lots of posts from guys using other units that I don't know anything about. I would like to hear more aboutmyoptions or at least get pointedto a source for more info so I can make up my mind before I pull the trigger.

BTW I have an 08 Fat Bob and Iwill dothe install myself. Just not sure which way to go.Need some help!!! Thanks in advance.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:38 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Stock ECM Remap or Aftermarket FI Tuner???

I'd skip the remap and go for a tuner or fuel manager. FYI, though, the O2 eliminators are an option for the PCIII. You only have to use them if you want/need to. PCIII is not a bad option for your situation.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 PM
1wv
4th Gear

I have an 08 superglide with stage 1 air kit and cycleshack slip ons. I did the stage 1 download. The bike runs like a scolded dog. A buddy has an 07 fxd with air kit and long shots, he went with the V&H fuel pack. you cant tell a difference in power between our bikes. If you dont want to screw with a dyno tuner the download is a fine way to go. IMO. BTW My buddy did dyno his bike.

c ya

Old 02-13-2008, 02:22 AM
Koppster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SoCal,

Pasting in a reply I made to another member. Thundermax is paying me to adverstise!

Don,

I installed a Thundermax on my 07. I'm really happy with it. The autotune feature gives me a choice about whether or not I want to have the bike dyno'd. The ECM learns as you ride.

Thundermax is a bit of an investment up front (about $650) but I don't need dyno (avg $150-200) and the system is portable, meaning I can transfer it to another bike if I sell.

The reason I did not go with a SERT is becauseit is not portable. SERTs are married to the ECM you plug them in to for life, they cannnot be moved to another bike once installed. Additionally, SERTs must be dyno'd, the kit only provides software and an adapter. Those were issues for me.

I tried a Fuelpak and it worked fine but I got pops on decel and I probably would have had to have it dyno'd to get rid of the pops (the popswere obnoxious). I have friends withthe Power Commander (PCIII) who swear by them but I have no personal experience.

Bottom Line: The advice you got above about looking around on the ECM forums and taking your time is solid. Read and ask a ton of questions before you buy anything. Make phone calls to the manufacturers and talk to riders in your local area.

Rick

Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 AM
hddave2
Road Captain

i know where you are coming from ..i just recently ordered a pc3 with 02 sensor elem. from fuel-moto.. im not sure how the 02 elemin. works but read on this forum about guys loving the pc3 so it helped in my choice...good luck...

Old 02-13-2008, 04:33 AM
flyingbobber13
Advanced

Gettn my PCIII today....maybe tomorrow......unforseen obstacle. Re-mapping the ECM...just aint worth it. I would go with teh PCIII....most dealerships would also recomend that route. Now some will say keep the 02's ..but I think that these folks had no clue what the hell they were talkn about. The 02 sensor's that HD uses are not wide bands.....wide bands will allow u to be able to keep 02 sensors so that your air to fuel can be constantly changed upon needs of the motor. U can get systems with wide band 02's might cost ya a bit more though. But its a harley......get rid of the emission control ****...**** the tree huggers....besides it looks better havn the little bastards gone.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:08 AM
Trotter
Banned

There's some Dangerous Info in this Thread .... Good Luck All ....

Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Koppster
Tourer

Good MorningTrotter,

Don't just drop a bomb like that and walk away. What are your concerns with the info in the thread? For one, I'm anxious to learn.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 02-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Trotter
Banned

Mudpuddle has some good Info on tuner's in your area ..... Go to them .... and learn from some one that is certified.. Don't cut Connors in this Area... This is a subject that has been beat to death.. Talk to some one reliable that tunes Bikes for a living... Not A whatever I got is the best....Drop Mud a Note I'm sure he will direct you to some one in that aera... Jim Sabin is goodif he's close to you...Mud should have his number....

Old 02-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Koppster
Tourer

Thanks Trotter,

Makes good sense, big thanks for the comeback.

Hope to see Mud soon, plan on asking him to "amputate" my AC cover to the WS6/Mud creation.

Rick

Quick Reply: Stock ECM Remap or Aftermarket FI Tuner???