Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob Dual Brakes using FatBob Lowers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:40 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm gonna revive this thread. How did it all turn out since it's been almost a year since the last post.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am gonna ask this.

Can't you just bolt up a set of V rod forks? They are 49mm as well right? Are they about the same leangth?

Oh and Mud, long time no see, how is that Fender treating you?

Old 05-14-2009, 11:17 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The seat pipe for the V-Rod is a smaller diameter than the seat pipe on the Dyna.

So how is the seal at the inside bottom part of the Dyna fork pipe going to seal against the V-Rod seat pipe?

If you don't have the proper seal the fluid hydraulic action of fork won't work properly.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:27 AM
sycle1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did crazy go with the fat bob lowers????????

Old 06-23-2009, 01:40 AM
FXDC enthusiast
6th Gear
Default I did it!!!

Following exactly the procedure of Crazy03 on his SB 2006, I did the same on my FXDC 2009.

I used all Fat Bob stock pieces (chrome fork lowers from Fat Bob CVO and calipers, master cylinder and brake line, plus one additional stock rotor).

Minor machinings on fender tabs to adapt FXDC fender to Fat Bob lowers bolts, and left caliper a tiny bit for perfect alignment caliper - rotor (only left side, right side slides on perfectly since the beginning).

My Harley dealer is not a customizer expert, and despite this he did a clean and perfect job on the small mods, therefore it is absolutely feasible.

The bike looks great and stops great as well with increased braking power.

Look at my thread, i posted pics.

I hope all this can be of help.

Cheers

Giorgio, Italy

Old 06-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Default V-Rod lowers

I thought I'd let anyone reading this resurrected Post know how the original project worked out. I chose to use V-Rod lowers that Howard Messner worked on to make them fit without any change in rake/trail. Here's the post:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...t-no-fade.html
I have put 33,000 miles on the bike- 20,000 or so with the dual brakes, and they are great. I rode the Tail of the Dragon the week of Memorial Day(midweek when there wasn't much traffic except for Lotus' on the way to Birmingham for a rally- they got in the way). The rear brake(stock w/ Lyndall Gold Pads) was smoking hot. The front rotors were much cooler and didn't slip at all.
Good luck on your build. Jay

Old 06-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer

Originally Posted by icecaps
The seat pipe for the V-Rod is a smaller diameter than the seat pipe on the Dyna.

So how is the seal at the inside bottom part of the Dyna fork pipe going to seal against the V-Rod seat pipe?

If you don't have the proper seal the fluid hydraulic action of fork won't work properly.

Icecaps, Howard machined out the V-rod 6 mm oil lock. See earlier in this post for details. Bottom line, though, is the project turned out to be a success. The V-rod lowers, with Howard's machine work, gave me a great brake upgrade. Probably not the cheapest way to do it, but it is flawless mechanically, and, when it comes to brakes, I want flawless. I can't do anything about the jackasses on the road, but I can do something about the braking power of my bike and avoid them.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 AM
FXDC enthusiast
6th Gear
Default pics

... and these are pics of my princess with sparkling chrome Fat Bob CVO lowers...as you can see, in spite of the almost undetectable mods on the fender, the final thing is clean and works well also. Same architecture as the stock fork assembly, no change, but doubled braking power, the fork reacts good, no fade, just stops promptly.

No objections on the functionality of the V-rod fork lowers upgrade, associated with the mechanical refining on the inner structure of the fork, whetever it is. I believe to what I read, and they may work even better.

Actually, Harleys are not my passion because of their brakes... "If I wanted just braking power I would go japan", someone said

Yet, I don't like the non-stock look of the V-rod lowers installed on Dyna front end, neither the squared shape at the top of the V-rod lowers, compared to the smooth, slightly conic shape of the Dyna lowers on top. In addition, the V-rod lowers are shorter and they don't overcome the line of the fender, as the Dyna lowers do, which in my humble opinion is nicer to see. It is like a girl with short legs or long legs...which one is generally preferable ??

Also the Fat Bob brake line I have on my bike seems more tight and less loose than the one I see on the blue Street Bob. Maybe it is just an impression...

Anyway, that's pure personal speculation, no discussions on personal choices.

good day to all!

G

Attached Thumbnails  Street Bob Dual Brakes using FatBob Lowers?-image001.jpg    Street Bob Dual Brakes using FatBob Lowers?-image003.jpg    Street Bob Dual Brakes using FatBob Lowers?-image005.jpg    Street Bob Dual Brakes using FatBob Lowers?-image007.jpg    Street Bob Dual Brakes using FatBob Lowers?-image009.jpg  

Last edited by FXDC enthusiast; 06-24-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:40 AM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDC enthusiast
... and these are pics of my princess with sparkling chrome Fat Bob CVO lowers...

G
Nicely done, bike looks great.