Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob Dual Brakes using FatBob Lowers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:13 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default RE: Street Bob Dual Brakes using FatBob Lowers?

Howard, thanks much for your info. So, that means
1. I won't change the trail, because the overall fork length hasn't changed?
ANS: Yes
2.I'll have to remove the progressive springs and cartridge emulators?
ANS: NO You'll use all your same stuff. Please remember, I do not have this stuff in front of me. I am relying on Mudd and all of his great contrubutions for this project. I am doing this from measurements and photos from Mudd. As of right now, this is a theory, untill I can physically do this and test it out on the bike (as I do everything) we are not done! This thread, as far as me goes, is work in progress. Any help would be appreciated such as photos and exact accurate measurements.
3. Could I put an adjustable progressive spring/racetech emulator for V-rod in?
ANS: This theory will evolve only the changing of the V-Rod lowers and the Oil Lock. You will use everything else that comes with your Dyna.

See Mudd's exploded view of a 06 Dyna fork to understand what we are doing if you already do not know. It wouold be a good thing if you familiarize yourself with the parts in question if interested. The fork screw on your 06 & later Dyna is 12 mm. To bolt up the V-Rod lowers (which use a 6 mm fork screw), you would have to use milling machine to convert over your 6 mm to 12 mm fork to oil lock (dampner) mounting hole. This option is not easily attainable or advantageous to most members.

What I am thinking;
An alternative approach is needed. Using V-Rod shorter fork tubes and changing the suspension is equally a poor financial choice. We shall look into an alternative and easier appproch. Please bare with us while I (and our helpful members) try to come up with a fully working solution. There is so much mis-information here, I do not wish to follow that style. Proof of working is the only outcome with me before release.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/F7F8A9E2CC99428F97296DDE7E68A539.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-15-2008, 08:28 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,112 Likes on 2,120 Posts

Jay, your original question was about the FatBob components,
mated to 06 up Dyna.

From what I see, and I haven't attempted this,
the only way to make that work is to use
ALL FatBob from the wheel to the trees,
or, build a wheel to match spacing for rotor/caliper.

I did gather some parts, back in Jan 07,
to do the vRod slider method.

I have the vRod sliders, and internal parts.
But, I got distracted with other projects.

Howard has the expertise to sort this out
for a good safe well performing unit.

Looks to me, to do this right, with good high quality
rotors, calipers, damping, etc, - 800-1000 bux,
maybe a little more.

mud

Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

What I am thinking is using new V-Rod #22 seat pipe pn#: 46519-01 to substitute (remove your old Dyna) Dyna #23 Bottom Pipe (either) pn#: 46606-06 or 46618-06. The reason is that the fork lower (slider) screws into this part to conect the internal to the slider. Without both assemblies in front of me for close inspection and measurement, I do not have a clue if it will work. Again, when proven & ridden, it shall be released. At this present time, this is just a theory. I am going in a few minuets to the parts store to see if I can buy both units and work it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mudd and Howard, you're great- for having the knowledge to puzzle out an answer to this and alsoforbeing willing to share your efforts with the rest ofus on the Forum. I wait to hear how this turns out. And I'll bet there are a LOT of others waiting too, lookin at the number of hits this thread is getting. Thank you. Jay

Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 PM
bdasource
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a set of v-rod lower fork sliders off ebay and have been planning on this build for a while. My buddy and I will be putting it together in the next couple weeks and will post pics and results.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:23 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Jay. I went down to a bike salvage place asking for parts. He said to call back on Monday. I do buy alot of FL stuff from him. We will see. I do not own a 06 or later Dyna and I am not going to buy one. I like the bikes and think there is potential. I was thinking of maybe modifying the legs a little and putting on a pair of 6 Piston calipers. Maybe come up with some suspension to throw inside of them. What do you think woiuld be desirable? There is lots of stuff you can do with them if you have the time and resources. Does most have a mid glide? I guess they would handle better, do they? Give my what you would like if you did not have the Race Tec.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Crazy03
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Jay its Anthony, I just got my fat bob lowers yesterday so Ill let you and everyone know how it all works out. Some of the stuff said on here is just rediculous and pisses me off. If you dont have pefect info on what will work or not please dont post a maybe, we can maybe this all day. Ive been dealing with this conversion for awhile now and getting a little fustrated, after spending a little over $600 on different parts and having people think stuff will work. For the guys talking about there experiences and what didnt or didwork thank you, there is alot more that goes into this if you really start researching it then what looks like will work, I feel like Im at a Harley Davidson Dealership parts counter, "Well I dont think that will work, but how about this chrome peice it would look great on the bike" Just a rant but thank you to everyone that has attaempted this and I will post my results after we try the parts. I sent you an email Jay

Old 02-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple of guys out there doing builds.How are they goin'? Jay

Old 02-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Thunderhorse
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested as well.

James

Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates on your projects?
CB

Quick Reply: Street Bob Dual Brakes using FatBob Lowers?