Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filler Tube Restrictor Plates

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Fuel Filler Tube Restrictor Plates

I've been trying to find an answer to this issue, but the search engine has been down for a couple of days.

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

When trying to fill the tank through the restrictor plate with gas nozzles that are either full on or full off (the ones you can't slow the fuel flow rate with), I either have to stop short of filling the tank or risk spraying gas back up through the vent hole and onto the tank.

Is it legal (inspections) or feasible to remove the restrictor plate, or is it welded in place?

I found an EPA article stating there is no requirement for the restictor plate in motorcycle fill tubes after 2002. Harley was supposed to have been one of the biggest opponents to using the plates.

If the platesare nolongerrequired, why are they still installing them?

Old 02-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Don51
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel Filler Tube Restrictor Plates

joe

That is a great question....I've beenwondering the same. What a pain trying to fill the tank. One time while filling it, the level was closer to the top than I thought and the gas shot out and a small amount of gas got on the exhaust pipes. I thought for surethere was going to be a fire. That restrictormakes it real hard foryouto actually seeing how much gas you have in the tank. I took a look at mine to see if I could remove it, but it looks like it's in there for good. Hope ya get answers!!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:35 AM
pappy43
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is a "easy" solution and I'm lazy, so I always carry a couple of wipes. I suppose you could take the tank off and grind the flange back, maybe some of the fab'n guys in here know something we obviously don't, that or everbody just deals with it.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:00 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

That plate used to aggravate the hell out of me when filling so I took a hole saw to it.
Drain and remove the tank(s). plug hose fittings and fill with water if you want to be safe.
Cut that bastard out with the hole saw (biggest one that will fit).
Drain the tank if filled with water.
Fish out the plate and whatever metal filings that come with it with a magnet on an extension (stick, whatever ya got).
Dry the tank out asquickly as possible with what ever you have to minimize rusting.
Try to get the rest of the metal bits out with the magnet.
Hopefully, you don't hose your paint in the process.
I believe that will take care of the problem...it did for me.
Good luck!