Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive front springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:19 AM
BIGUNXXL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default progressive front springs

i have the oppertunity to add lowering front springs to my 07 wide glide.but not sure i want to.i'm gonna be putting new front slidders on this week i hope and thought about adding the springs.i have a set of progressive 11 inch 412's hd for the rear that will drop the back,but i haven't seen a wide glide lowered in the front.any of you that have done this,did you like the ride better,was the look better?
i'm also gonna be adding the inside primary
lower belt guard
was going to add the swing back bars but i think i have changed my mind since i turn them mini aps up.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:02 AM
BIGUNXXL
Cruiser
Default RE: progressive front springs

also being 6'4 and lowering the front and the rear will this be to low.
sorry for the crazy questions but i know no one that has done this or seen one done around were i live.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:58 AM
jwidell
Advanced

IMHO I think you may be a bit tall for the lowering. Perhaps a "fitting" on a Low Rider may give you some insight. A friend of mine had his girfriends '02 WG lowered 1". He had a reputable shop replace the front tubes with 1" shorter ones along with the shorter Progressive springs, and also lowered rears. This actually helped her as she is about 5'-8". If you decide to lower it, I would strongly suggest getting the shortened jiffy stand. Her bike looked a bit too "upright" and unstable (drunk guy falling into the bike.....oops) until they added the correct stand.
Hope this helps.

Ride Easy!

Old 02-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All depends on how level you want the bike and what seat you're using - going with the 11" shocks already is going to lower it for sure, changing the springs to standard Progressives will help the handling and they come with a spacer that can be cut to customize how much lower you want it (if any). New kick stand is probably a good idea. I did both 11" rear shocks and front springs on my St Bob to level the bike, which did get me quite a bit lower. But when I put the Mustang solo seat on it raised me back up almost to where it had been. So, it's all relative to the ride height/handling/stance you want and feel most comfortable with. Can you install the rear shocks first and see how that looks and feels first? Might help you decide how much lower you want the front, if any.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:41 AM
babineaux66@msn.com
Cruiser

I think a lowering just means that you wanted a low rider.I'm 6ft 2in with a stock HEIGHT on my 07 dyna super glide.Left the stock 12in rear as changing to 11.0 caused it to hit tire (260 lbs).For my buck I installed progressive FRONT spings with HD fork oil and matched the rear with 12in hd progressive spings.Acording to progressive and my local stealrship,the spring for a vrod (49mm) do the job.IF you go with the loweringyou might call or e-mail progressive and they will advise as a system.Race Tech also makes a SET RATE spring based on your riding , weight ,Etc.When you change the rear you throw off all the suspention setup.They get WORSE HANDELING!!!!!!Check out the 11.5 shock only, they as stock are springy and a few others stated that it hit tire once in a while.Lowers fender down a little to get a lower look.ASK AROUND AND CHECK OUT OTHERS THAT HAVE LOWERED RIDES$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ It's a B*TCH to spend all that coin.Live Long Ride Safe

Old 02-10-2008, 07:55 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

BIGUNXXL I never use or recomend a progressively wound spring (not the company but the way it is wound). I only would recomend a linear wound spring. What are you planing to do with this bike? Is it a casual rider, hardly ridden & a show piece, or for a bike you plan on being comfortable on and a serious riding machine. These questions all need to be addressed when buying a bike (any bike) than secondly modifying with a component. If you need help on answering your suspension questions, feel free to call me toll free 1-866-899-5962 as we might know a few things to help you and give you the real facts. We do this and have done just about every suspension product available + our own.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:27 AM
BIGUNXXL
Cruiser

thanks for all the insight guys.i think i'm gonna just try the rear shocks first to see how i like this then if needed getthe standard front springs.i think by lowering the front it will be to short for me.

and chipsta i'm gonna have mean city cycles do my stock seat to set me futher back.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Chipstah
Road Warrior

+1 Good Idea - Allen at Mean City is super! Thinking of sending out my stock seat and see what he can do - love my Mustang, just a little tall.