Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender - where on earth do you......

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:11 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Battery Tender - where on earth do you......

ORIGINAL: Clutch66

Where do you guys live that you need a battery tender?

You need to move to Houston. We ride 365 and no battery tender needed. In fact, I've never seen them for sale here.

I'm not sure, but it was around 72 or 74 here today. My scoot started right up, no battery tender needed.

God Bless you guys.

C66
Gee thanks! and here I had forgotten it's 18 degrees outside.......

Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ican't afford a battery tender, so I unfortunately have to ride in the winter, even if it means freezing my azz off for an hour or so.
Keeps the old battery charged up, though. Besides the pigtail for my heated gear pretty much takes up the space needed for the battery tender. Guess if I hadn't bought all that electric crap to stay warm, I could of had a charger

DougJ

Old 02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on what KBFXDLIsaid.

Mine is tucked in behind the rubber battery holder and under my cover when in storage over the winter i take the cover off and plug in now and then.

If its summer and you need a battery tender you should just sell the bike as its collecting to much dust.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:34 PM
rewog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I strapped the + & - under the rubber battery strap and ran the quick connect out of the battery box along side the + cable andin thruthe rear of the top of the fuse box. The fuse box cover just pulls off, so it's easily accessable.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:40 AM
fraz00
Intermediate

Yep, been there, asked that. While my non-riding hubby was at work I decided to put my own battery tender cables on my new FXD. I stood back and wondered where in the heck all that wiring was supposed to fit - cause it sure wasn't obvious! After playing around with it a little while, I grabbed a few black zip ties and neatly folded/rolled the excess cable and gently tucked it alongside the battery, put the cover back on (it was VERY tight) and zip tied the little bit left outside and the connector to the frame. Can't see it.....and it does the job. I don't plan on taking it off either - I don't think anyone will notice and if they do, so what.......it's not that big!

Have fun!

I'm in IN and I have mine on a BT - sinceT-giving. Havne't been any days since that didn't have salty roads - I'm not THAT anxious to get it out for a quick spin and then have to worry about getting all the crud off!!! Spring will be here soon! (I hope!)

Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Axholio

I have mine wired in to the battery terminals and it comes out between the battery box andthe ignition box(superglide)... Then I just zip tied it to the ignition box.
+1

Old 02-08-2008, 07:53 AM
LtRex
Cruiser

Thanks for the input people! I was hoping to hear something "easy". On my other bikes, I was able to have the end of the quick connect lead sticking out from under the edge of the seat. I ride all the time (weather permitting) and am use to pulling into the garage, parking and plugging in the bike. I have NEVER had to buy a battery and it sure is nice!

I am able to secure the excess wire under the rubber strap inside the battery compartment and put the cover back on with the tail of the quick connect lead sticking out at the bottom, but I am afraid that with the vibration of the bike, and the blunt edge of the battery box, it will cut through the cable over time - short out or create an electric problem.

Hmm.....

Old 02-08-2008, 08:24 AM
mongoose
Tourer

Same as Axholio and itileman...connector is held by ignition bracket and battery box.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Super_Glide05
Intermediate

+1 for the method Axholiouses.
I use the battery tender from Schumacher, ($18 bucks at wally-world). Its pigtail is very short so the connector comes out right between ignition switch and the battery. (no zip-ties required for my install)

The connector sticks out about3 inchs from the battery, so normally unless I'm being lazy, I'll push the connector back some when I'm out on the bike so it doesn't look so out of place, and then pull it back out when I get home. I had not thought though about LtRex's point about vibration possibly causing some issues with the cables. I'll have to add that to my list of items to check post-ride.

Haven't had a lick of trouble out of my battery so far.. (Hopin it stays that way)

-C

Old 02-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: LtRex

..I am afraid that with the vibration of the bike, and the blunt edge of the battery box, it will cut through the cable over time - short out or create an electric problem.

Hmm.....
There are all kinds of material you can use between the wire and your box to prevent that . A layer of tape, a plastic sleeve, a dab of silicone...

Quick Reply: Battery Tender - where on earth do you......