Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 AM
snooper0069
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harley exhaust question

why does harley connect one muffler to another. On some after market exhaust for harleys they dont have this and are seperate pipes.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:17 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: harley exhaust question

ORIGINAL: snooper0069

why does harley connect one muffler to another. On some after market exhaust for harleys they dont have this and are seperate pipes.
It adds strength to the entire exhaust setup for one thing and it keeps the mufflers from vibrating to the point where they are actually banging into each other or, worse, falling off. The last time I went to remove my slipons, I discovered that the clamp on the lower muffler was actually loose. Because the top one was tight and the mufflers themselves were connected, it kept the bottom one from falling off down the road.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

It also helps equalize the exhaust. If you notice on some systems, the rear head pipe may be shorter than the front. The crossover helps both cylinders breath equally.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Beman
Advanced

I hate to be that guy but stregth has almost nothing do with why they connet the pipes. If you look you will see a that the connetion is made with a smaller tube between the two major pipes. This little connection is a way to produce the desired back pressure. This connetion is a way to try and get the exhaust to preform better while still being with in the EPA regulations for exhaust and noise. The little connection balances backpressure differences between the two cyclinders.Their is also a scavenging affect that can take place in some exhaust systems when set up correctly but that is a more complicated issue and revolves more around 2-1 systems. Most good after market systems will havea connectionlikethe stock systemas well. As for other pipes that are not connected really it comes down to what you want looks or preformance, 2-1 or conncected systems are easier to tune and generally out perform system that are not connected. Snooper I am not anexhaust kingpin but i did work in a service department as I went through college to be an engineering so Ihave a better idea than mostif you have some exhaust questions send me a PM.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:48 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sarge4life

It also helps equalize the exhaust. If you notice on some systems, the rear head pipe may be shorter than the front. The crossover helps both cylinders breath equally.
That's a good point. I assumed he was talking about being connected by the steel rod between the mufflers. I hadn't considered the crossover pipe.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Gunshow
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Sarge4life

On V&H pipes(not all V&H have it) they call it apower chamber, Cobra pipes call it a power port.
different names same thing.