Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windvest ....Who has one? ....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:01 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Windvest ....Who has one? ....

I've had my WindVest on for about twenty five thousand miles,don't even take it off any more. It blocks the main force of the wind off your chest at high speeds. I've ridden for hours at speeds in excess of ninety mph on a long haul and I just couldn't do it without the windvest.

If you have a tank lift the angle of the shield is not that critical,otherwise you'll just have to adjust til you get rid of the helmet buffeting. A small bag at the base of the shield helps also,since most of the wind comes from below.

My first shield was a fourteen inch,managed to split it from pressure against my tach. Now running the sixteen inch at the lowest setting to get more coverage down low.

If you search around you can sometimes find a used one for about a hundred fifty.

Paul,if you can find just the windshield part,I've got extra handlebar mounts and the crosspiece that the shield bolts to,could probably throw this together real cheap.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 02-05-2008, 01:36 PM
PsTaN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks on all the posts .... the info helps.

Right now, I'm reconsidering a Memphis Shades Del Rey/Del Rio as an option as well. Since I have a SuperGlide, the top-mounted Speedometer has to be taken into consideration. Tom, I know the bracketry is different for a Bob versus a SG based on the Windvest website. One thing is for sure .... the H-D is coming off .... it's ugly as hell!!

Thanks all ....

PsTaN

Old 02-05-2008, 01:57 PM
LtRex
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: TOMMAY

My first shield was a fourteen inch,managed to split it from pressure against my tach. Now running the sixteen inch at the lowest setting to get more coverage down low.

Is there different settings on the Windvest? I hope it can be lowered a little.

Appreciate the info! Mine is on the way!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:40 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

You can buy these for the "top mounted gauges", and in fact I was able to buy it for the 1.25 inch bars I have too!

My bike is a Superglide......at least 50% Superglide, as of now!

~Joe

Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
PsTaN
Road Master

I should add that my only concern with a Windvest is that my scoot has 3.5" risers. The addedriser lengthwill cause the shield to mount about an inch higher. I worry that might funneltoo much wind from underneath. Do theWindvest shields adjust up and downin the bracketry?

The above reasonwould be why I reconsidered the Memphis Shades Sportshield line. The MemphisShades look much better than the H-Dand are priced right for sure.

EDIT: After going out to the shop and measuring things I dont think the MS shields would even mount up due to riser height. Also, Joe's pics show that you can angle/pitch the Windvest up which will alleviate most wind from underneath. Windvest it will be.

Thanks all ...

PsTaN

Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the 16' Windvest on my FXST. To be honest, while it looked good I was disappointed with its performance. I got a lot of buffeting and less wind protection than I wanted. And it was a bit of a pain to take off compared to H-D's detachable shields. I was much happier with the performance of the windshield that came on the '08 Road King I rode and when it wasn't needed it only took a few seconds to remove. Keep in mind though that the effectiveness of shields depends a lot on a rider's size and his expectations, so YMMV.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:24 AM
PsTaN
Road Master

TwinRider ...

I agree .... way too many people think that bolting a small piece of plastic on the front of a bike will make it ride like a bagger .... it wont. What I want is something small that takes thepressure off on londer rides and still has some style about ....something unobtrusive as possible. The H-D shields buffet like crazy, so the Windvest wont really be a downgrade there.

Thanks on the post ...

PsTaN

Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: LtRex

ORIGINAL: TOMMAY

Is there different settings on the Windvest? I hope it can be lowered a little.

Appreciate the info! Mine is on the way!

Yes,there is adjustment where the windshield mounts to the crossbar and on mine I was also able to reverse the handlebar clamps for more adjustment,don't know if you can do this on all of them,though.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 02-06-2008, 10:46 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

I wish i could try before buy .. I am a skeptic. With restect to the gent that makes them .

Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
LtRex
Cruiser

Voyager1,

I have heard nothing but nice comments on the Windvest, this is my first. I HATE windshields almost as much as I hate 75 MPH wind in my face (with the occasional big bug - or was that a .22 round). I am really kinda pissed that National Cycle will not make the fly screen for us Dyna guys.

Quick Reply: Windvest ....Who has one? ....