Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Once again, stay away from the dealerships...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:29 PM
hep0950
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Once again, stay away from the dealerships...

The problem with some parts people is that they just don't know their products. Just look at the parts stores for cars. It used to be you could get all kinds of information from them, even where they may find the part even if it was another parts store, but today their are only a handfull in comparison that know anything. Then take into consideration that each dealership is different. Some will help some won't, but those who won't will lose customers. Sometimes it is not the dealership, but the parts person who may not want to look it up. It doesn't matter that it is his job, but that goes along with parts people that don't really know their product. My suggestion is to find a dealer that will help you or an indy that will help you. Then again, you can do your own searching and call around for price and availability.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:55 PM
impala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called my dealer to order a washer from a bulletin. the kid asked for a deposit (I'm sure its policy, I can't imagine how many parts they would have in special order if this was not the policy) but for $1.79? OK gave him cc.

called back to change order to an updated part number. no sweat. but he did ask for another 4 bucks.

I went to pick up my part when it came in and parts manager gave me my $ back in cash. said it should be under warranty. cant beat that.

than I tried to get the 4 pin cust accy plug for under the seat he didn't want to sell me the entire 16 dollar bagger wire harness when I said I was cutting the end off. He supplied me the plug end and pins (exactly what I wanted but never thought they would stock it) for cheep.

and the last 2 times I have been in they have given me $75 bucks in mo-co clothes free. I'm not complaining.

It might help that I drop off a little something for the parts manager every now and again. booze, snacks, its all good.
Most ofyou people workor have, How far does a little gift go? You would be amazed (or not).

BTW why do you need the part #?
why not just say order it?
were you just tring to get an idea of cost to save up for the parts? or did'nt you really want them?

Old 02-03-2008, 09:27 PM
coastrider
Road Master

As an added note. I don't mind paying higher prices for Harley parts. After all I paid the price of a Harley and would like to keep it pure Harley but Milwaukee doesn't make everything I want to add. Even so I will get as many aftermarket parts from my dealer as I can. Paradise, and I assume other dealers, carries Mustang, Vance and Hines, T-Bag and they have a Drag Specialties Fatbookon the rack with their own catalogs.
Visit all the dealers in your area. Get acquainted with the shop foreman, parts manager, apparel manager, and even the owner. Find one you are comfortable with and go with them.

Ride Safe.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:37 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WTF!!!! The parts guy was taking a smoke break and crap. He just didn't want to be bothered.

Live and Learn.

You're lucky this is your only problem. They could have given you some bad service.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I fully understand their policy, however those policies should be discretionary. If they know you and have sold you parts this way in the past there is no reason they should not feel uncomfrotable doing it again. I will gladly help any customer that calls in and identifies them selves to me. If I get a call from someone who knows too much and seems to be fishing I hold back.

That kind of bit me on the butt a few weeks ago with a tech from one of our other stores but I have good reason. He called with an old part number and said we had it. My screen said we didn't. Since he didn't tell me who he was I said it wasn't there. He called back shortly after, chewed my *** (after telling me who he was) and wanted to know if that is how I helped all of my customers. I explained to him how a competetive dealer to the north employed a group of underqualified parts people and they frequently call looking for help with out identifying who they were.

We were helpfull for a while but they are selling to customers in our territory and all we were doing was giving them the tools to steal our customers. Since we stopped our customers tell us how bad they are and our business is growing. It is a shame that good qualified parts people are getting rare. Too often people are hired with the intentions of keeping customers occupied until the one good guy can help them and it usually backfires just like it has for this dealer.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Psycho
Road Master

Screw the bastards, just quit doing business with them. Case, Cat, Bobcat, Dresser, JCB, never had a problem with any of them. They'll look at the price sometimes and say, "whoa man, let me give you the part number and you can try and find this baby somewhere else before you spend this much on it."

HD's attitude will put them in the toilet sooner or later. People get sick of that crap fast.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Psycho, were you on that bike when THAT happened? (hijacking my own thread, i know)

Old 02-04-2008, 10:25 AM
extech
Road Master

Well, we don't give out any info either...main reason is exactly what the trend is, they waste our time to patronize other retailers that don't have the resources to sell them the right parts.
I understand this isn't always the case! But that is where this dealership(not corporate) "policy" comes from.
If you have a good relationship with a dealership and you are a good customer,explain to them why you want the part numbers, normally our parts guys save all their notes with customers names attached to them so that when you do come to make your purchase they have the information waiting to save customer and employee time.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:32 AM
hmmr
Banned

translation:
to handle increased competition in the digital age retailers need to bully their loyal customers to toe the line and pay higher prices strictly transacting in the way most convenient for the retailer.

that'll work.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:06 PM
extech
Road Master

Naw, just weed out the time wasters.

Quick Reply: Once again, stay away from the dealerships...