Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque wrench ?? a must??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:14 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Torque wrench ?? a must??

One of my earliest motorcycle DIY experiences was with a cam chain tensioner bolt on a 79 Honda CX500. I too thought I could get away without a torque wrench. This was when I learned how to take an engine out of a bike, open it up, drill out a snapped bolt, rethread a hole, and reassemble.

Buy a torque wrench and use it religiously!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 03:23 PM
hmmr
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

Absolutely a must have. You'll save plenty doing your own work to justify the wrench. You probably actually need 2 depending on what work you do - 1 for foot lbs and 1 for inch lbs. Overtighten stuff and it could break. Undertighten things and they tend to fall off. Invest heavily in loctite as well. I'm collecting tools as I need them but 2 of the first things I bought were a bike lift and a torque wrench.
this post brought a tear to my eye!

so true.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Without a doubt, an absolute must. I've had inch lb & ft lb wrench's for years. The proper torque is the spec that keeps bolts, etc., where they belong. Too much torque and the threads are stressed, too little, things fall out. Some applications (not all by any means) require loctite. Correct torque rules.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:24 PM
hmmr
Banned

i'm a fan of the penetrating loctite myself, when ya forget it makes it soooooooo easy.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

get the torque wrenches.....I actually have an older style beam type wrench that goes from 0-800 inch pounds... This is also incrimented in nm so I do not need the two wrenches. Not quite as accurate as the other style of wrench but very cost effective and with the ranges for the bolts torque specifications it is fine. (just torque to the middle of the range)

Old 02-01-2008, 03:27 PM
hmmr
Banned

i think 1/2 the reason harleys get a bad rap re: **** falling off is due to diyers not using loctite!

and well, the other 1/2 is casue they vibrate like a bitch!

Old 02-01-2008, 06:31 PM
ode sku
Advanced

torque wrench and service manual together combine for hd holy grail if plan on doing any of your own work

Old 02-01-2008, 06:55 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time

Naaaaaa... dont listen to these guys they just like to spend other peoples money,"torquewrench" ha!One of these guys hereis a Snap-On tool salesman, what did you think he was gonna say? What you need is a really good set of "easy outs" and a really good "drill bit set" ....oh and a cheap box of Band aides for the knuckles, notthe brand name ones way over priced, they all fall off in the shower anyway .

Only funnin' ya. Yep... Inch and foot pounds, one of each 3/8 drive. I have Snap-On, but I like expensive tools and the calenders! For a starter,look at Sears Craftsman, get the clickable type...and remember this..... Always....reset them to the lowest setting when not in use so they dont take a "set" and never use them to just remove nuts and bolts. Last advice when the book says "10 to 14" inch or foot pounds, set the wrench between the little number and the bigger number . When your at Sears, get the really big tool box, the one that needs a step stool to see in the top, your gonna need it later anyway, hell you just filled up two drawers, one for the manual and one for the torque wrenches.

No you can't borrow mine.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Ridedeluxehd
Road Captain

You really need to get one or like everyone else said. you will be standing in your garage with that look on you face. Then it will turn into[:@] this realizing you have to fix what you just broke before the thing will be ridable again. you didn't lie to you wife you just thought that was all you needed. Well go down to the nearest Sears store and buy it already you will be much happier in the end!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:11 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

Naa, you don't need a stinking torque wrench.

Just tighten it until it snaps, then back off a 1/4 turn.
I've never owned one, it's always been one of those things I've been meaning to buy and yes I have broke off and stripped allot of stuff over the years.

Quick Reply: Torque wrench ?? a must??