Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't make up my mind on pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:34 AM
strich
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I can't make up my mind on pipes

ORIGINAL: nkauf21

Everytime I think I made a decission I change my mind again. I have narrowed it down to two choices. Either the Vance & Hines Short Shots or the Sideshots. Both in black.

The pros of the short shots are:
- clean and simple look
- afforable price

The cons
- possible loss of back pressure causing weak performance

The pros of the sideshots:
- custom look that you wont see everywhere
- the power chamber increasing performance

The cons:
- Some may think they look strange
- They are relatively expensive

I think they both look great. Help me decide. I am ready to buy either now but don't want to make the wrong choice.
I feel your pain bro. I'm in the same boat right now. I've decided on the Bassani Pro Stret black over the V&H shortshots. But a couple of things i took into consideration before deciding.

1. Loss of power/torque is relative. It means something to the guys that live by the charts and graphs, but when you're out on the highway, you aren't going to really tell a difference. If the loss was significant enough for you to feel it, V&H would be out of work.
2. I've discovered that going with something that's a little different usually makes me happier. It's not what every other scoot on the road has. Be different.
3. Black is the new black. I love the look of the "new" blacked out pipes. Ok, so that's just an opinion. But those shortshots in black sure are gorgeous.

Good luck with your decision. Besides, if it doesn't work out, get another set. It's just money.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:34 AM
hmmr
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2005 harley with short shots

the dip is clearly seen at 2500rpm

[IMG]local://upfiles/50584/3BFA444F4393473FBB360A4D4DF04829.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-01-2008, 08:36 AM
hmmr
Banned

-07 w/ SE HEAVY Breather. Similar to Forcewinder.

-Vance and Hines Straight Shot Exhaust w/Baffles.

a dip at 2500

[IMG]local://upfiles/50584/4775B218EB6C4BBFBDFA96AD80398BD9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-01-2008, 08:54 AM
SilentWarrior
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmr -Your charts are 7 years old ! Sorry for pointing the obvious. Didnt mean to offend.Your charts didnt include the new FI's on the newer engines and didnt include High Flow filter results. So I am stating facts. I do agree that drag pipes tend not to perform better than performance/longer pipes that willnever change. Didnt mean to rip ya up , just stated the obvious.

nkauf21-If you do put on drag pipes or open up your exhaust you should put a highflow filter kit on, this will change the HP and torq. That is why I chimed in , not to offend but to add some known facts ! It called the "Big Three" , also "Stage I" in racing ( Pipes , Intake and Fuel Controler or Rejet ) This is your first level of performance boost and should be done together. This isnt just my 2 cents its a known fact in the engine world.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:59 AM
hmmr
Banned

you don't have to prove anything to me, the dip is well documented over the years.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:08 AM
SilentWarrior
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: hmmr

you don't have to prove anything to me, the dip is well documented over the years.
Charts are good. I own the pipes hes asking about and really like them. I am not looking to race my bike though. Just wanted some better performance and sound and I know I have that. At least he has some opposing points to think about. Can you show me a chart with a High Flow Filter and the pipes. I would be interested in seeing the difference.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:35 AM
hmmr
Banned

i was never disagreeing with ya man, i didn't disagree with anyone here or make a single derogatory comment re: that pipe or anything.

as i mentioned in my 1st post, it is a *slight* dip, some notice it others do not & so it's prolly a non-issue.

you took it upon yourself to take umbrage with my post.