Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I taking the corners a bit too fast????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:10 PM
iwant1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Am I taking the corners a bit too fast????

You can corner hard without scraping these bikes. Although I know with forwards it's harder and probably not easy for shorter folksbut the idea is to pull the centre of gravity over into he corner.

When I really want to take a corner hard I shift my body over and hang off the bike, and yes, I do scrape my knee doing this. I have mini apes and extended forwards belive it or not, but I'm very tall so I can shift myself from side to side on the seat, and pull the bike in with the inside of my knee on the seat and tank. By moving the centre of gravity into the corner the net effect is you corner harderwhile reducing the lean angle of the bike. It's the exact opposite of counter-balancing in low speed corners. A word of warning though, if you go over too far& hit your primary on a bump/rock/curb or something the wheel will lift and it's realeasy to lose it.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:37 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: iwant1

You can corner hard without scraping these bikes. Although I know with forwards it's harder and probably not easy for shorter folksbut the idea is to pull the centre of gravity over into he corner.

When I really want to take a corner hard I shift my body over and hang off the bike, and yes, I do scrape my knee doing this. I have mini apes and extended forwards belive it or not, but I'm very tall so I can shift myself from side to side on the seat, and pull the bike in with the inside of my knee on the seat and tank. By moving the centre of gravity into the corner the net effect is you corner harderwhile reducing the lean angle of the bike. It's the exact opposite of counter-balancing in low speed corners. A word of warning though, if you go over too far& hit your primary on a bump/rock/curb or something the wheel will lift and it's realeasy to lose it.
True sportbike fashion.[sm=smiley20.gif] I'm not very tall and with the mini apes I don't have the seating position to shift off the bike and back on so a handlebar change would help with the leverage to do that maneuver.

As several have mentioned, it's actually good that the bike has greater limitations than my ability, I've had a couple that taught me something....a '74Suzuki GT750 triple and a '77KZ900 come to mind.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:41 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

sniper77 I am sure you are hampered with your bike being lowered or even at stock height. You may wish to raise your bike up and eliminate the hard stuff that scrapes. I assure you that you are experiencing correct riding, however your bike is limiting your personal riding style. A few inches up will do wonders if you wish to experience exhilaration. For more quantities of the same, you may wish to upgrade your bike. Please do not spend the money if you are the person who only views his bike as a conversation piece, or a piece of jewery but aas a tool. You only can make that determination yourself. Good luck in your endeavors what ever that may be.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/D72BBB72F707462CB9493A86E8BCF2FB.jpg[/IMG]
It's still stock suspension front and rear Howard but, one of these days I'm going to be calling you up. I had been thinking of getting at least rear shocks 1/2" taller than stock to help with the lean angle and your inverted cartridge forks on that FL look like just the ticket for my soggy FX.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:50 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

The rear shocks have the ability to raise up another 1/2" and the front end can raise up another 1 1/2" or lower down another 6" from that position. Any lower than what I have it at, my fender could hit the bottom of my duel brake manifold located under the triple tree. The front travel is that far. You can guess-timate the travel. if I were to hit a pot hole & would FU my fender if it were lower. I can raise up/lower down by turning the clamp screws on my 1 ½” thick triple trees. The rear shocks are adjusted only up (I have em’ set as low as they can go) by a knurled ****. Dragging stuff is not nearly as fun as being uneventful & smooth. Yes, I drag stuff. I try to be good but I slip up sometimes.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey all--good on ya! I drag from time to time, but I prefer not to ... I find it a bit unnerving!

To those who may be reading this thread who may feel inclined to test their limits, consider that according to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, over 40 percent of all motorcycle crash fatalities happen in curves. Curves are the main point where single vehicle crashes occur. MSF recommends the the following procedure when negotiating a curve: Slow, Look, Press, and Roll. Check out www.SkilledRider.com for additional info.

I really enjoy riding and ride in all weather; I hope y'all areable to continue to enjoy your rides by staying safe!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:36 PM
chaelotte
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ride smooth on the dyna and have fun whit my buell !!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/50163/65029FF1DD204ABBB178AF632E1E47A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2008, 04:41 PM
hmmr
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chaelotte

ride smooth on the dyna and have fun whit my buell !!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/50163/65029FF1DD204ABBB178AF632E1E47A6.jpg[/IMG]
oh hell yah!