Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running 12V Power Plug Wire to Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Running 12V Power Plug Wire to Handlebars

I need to run a 2 wire loome to the handlebars from the batt box on an 07 Low Rider. There appears to be a channel that runs under the tank. Can I get the wires into that channel to run over the cylinders up to the front of the bike without removing the tank? Maybe just loosen it? Don't really want to have to go through the whole hassle of tank removal if not really necessary.

B

Old 01-30-2008, 08:24 PM
bikerdog134
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Running 12V Power Plug Wire to Handlebars

i sure would give it a try. im sure others have done it. maybe someone could chime in and give you a tip or two

Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 PM
flatblk
Advanced

The plastic channel is not connected on the LH side, you can pull it down, stick your wire in and push it back up. No need tto take your tank off.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:39 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spoke to the service department at my local dealer yesterday about this same issue. I am getting ready to install the cradle for a GPS on my FXDBI. I was told that every new bike has a connection inside the headlight bucket that is required when shipped internationally. I was told that there is a two wire, unused plug consisting of an orange wire with a white tracer and a black wire. That wiring harness is tied to the 15 amp accessory fuse in the fuse panel of the bike. It is also tied to the ignition switch. Depending on what you are trying to install, this might be a better bet than attempting to run wires from the battery to the handlebars.

The following users liked this post:
GYURIS (06-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Dynamite17
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: firefighter3666

I spoke to the service department at my local dealer yesterday about this same issue. I am getting ready to install the cradle for a GPS on my FXDBI. I was told that every new bike has a connection inside the headlight bucket that is required when shipped internationally. I was told that there is a two wire, unused plug consisting of an orange wire with a white tracer and a black wire. That wiring harness is tied to the 15 amp accessory fuse in the fuse panel of the bike. It is also tied to the ignition switch. Depending on what you are trying to install, this might be a better bet than attempting to run wires from the battery to the handlebars.
Good thought, but besides powering accessories (it is a Powerlet Powerbar), I will also use it to charge the battery with my Battery Tender. If it is tied to the ignition, that won't be possible.

B

Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 PM
rewog
Advanced

I have an 07 LR and did the very same thing; going thru the "backbone". Here's how I did it: I carefully removed the large rubber grommet in the neck on the key side, and using a somewhat flexible straightened out clothes hanger, slightly bent it to conform to the curve in the backbone, worked it all the way thru down to the back tire (watch on the horn side that it doesn't exit between the cylinders); then tape the wires to the hanger at the grommet and pull the hanger out thru the bottom of the backbone. Replace the grommet and that's it. Good Luck! John

Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 AM
firefighter3666
Road Master

I didn't realize that you were looking to use the same wiring for a battery tender. Would it be more convenient to do two different wiring setups, one for each purpose? I currently have a pig tail behind my electrical cover for my Battery Tender (and actually a pass through outlet on thecover itself. This allows me to drag the tender cable over andplugthe bike in. I also can use that plug for my heated gear. This afternoon I amgoing to tap the previously mentioned headlight wiring for my GPS. Think about what you are going to use the Powerlet outlet for, and whether having it switched is something you want.

The following users liked this post:
GYURIS (06-30-2024)
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Dynamite17
Road Captain

I didn't realize that you were looking to use the same wiring for a battery tender. Would it be more convenient to do two different wiring setups, one for each purpose? I currently have a pig tail behind my electrical cover for my Battery Tender (and actually a pass through outlet on thecover itself. This allows me to drag the tender cable over andplugthe bike in. I also can use that plug for my heated gear. This afternoon I amgoing to tap the previously mentioned headlight wiring for my GPS. Think about what you are going to use the Powerlet outlet for, and whether having it switched is something you want.
Actually I have a similar setup, with a Battery Tender pigtail near my batt box for charging. However, running a Powerlet harness to the front with their Powerbar gives me one outlet to worry about, not 2. I wouldnt be trying to charge at the same time I was using my GPS, so no conflict there. The Powerbar is a very nice product, solid. Can't see the need for that outlet to be switched.

Thanks for the reply.

B

Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if you know, but one thing to be aware of when using your battery tender pigtail is that the factory pigtail is rated at 7.5 amps, whereas the pigtails which come with the heated gear are 15amps. Potentially could overload your electrical system with the higher amp draw for the heated gear, which would at first blow the fuse of course, but in event does not blow the fuse could possibly cause problems upstream from the fuse. One thing I asked my service dept about was replacing the 7.5 fuse with a 15 amp, but they couldn't tell me with 100% certainty if the wire gauge for the batt tender was same gauge as heated gear. I never explore further, just undid my factory tender pigtail, installed heated gear pigtail w/the 15 amp'r, bought an adapter to allow me to plug tender into the coax heated gear pigtail. I also use a 2nd pigtail for the gps power with a powerlet port w/coax connector. Works fine - haven't had any problems. Will have to look for that aux connector up by the headlight, though, as that would work out much better for my gps. For the guy asking about the channel below above rockers/below tank, I think their is sufficient room in one of the rectangular plastic conduits that would safely allow a wire to go above the engine without fear of heat damage to the front of the console housing and out the front.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:55 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master

Thanks for the warning about the fuses in the battery tender pigtail. I'll have to take another look at that, although I've had no problem to date.

As for the wire in the headlight, that could potentially be a wild goose chase. The Dyna they had on the lift at the dealership had one, but when I pulled my headlight out today it wasn't there. Might have been an '07 thing that I missed out on.