Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Headlights

ORIGINAL: ode sku
hate to ask stupid question but does modulator do? never heard of this .
It varies the brightness of the headlight. It never goes full off, but it goes from full on to about 10% and back about once a second or so. Gets attention. The requirements for them are that they only work on the low beam and they only work during daylight, so if you install one, you have to make arrangements for a daylight sensor to come out of your headlight bucket somehow.

Some people swear that they make you the center of attention on the street. Some people say they're useless. I have no opinion.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:22 AM
twofish
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daytime high beam for sure.
With all the text messaging go on now, every little bit helps.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Racemoto644
Cruiser

High beams during the day...sometimes flash from high to low to high to low to high to low when coming up to an intersection or at other times when I feel it might help a little...that AND hand signals, waves.....you're 'number one' sign when needed...

Old 01-31-2008, 10:07 AM
xmarine
Road Master

Low during the day and when in traffic these come on
VERY HANDY
xmarine

will get a night shot so you can see what they do
[IMG]local://upfiles/39035/9F4041E0624D4EC0A9D4025E05D4137B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Patch
Tourer

High

Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't pay any attention to it. I was hit head on by an ahole in a station wagon on a perfect sunny Summer day and had my light on. He was looking RIGHT AT ME or so I thought. He just was not paying attention because his kids were fighting in the back seat and my image didn't register in his mind until I made contact with his grille. By all accounts I should have been killed. I fractured 2 verts in my neck and 3 fingers on my left hand trying to grab his car while highsiding over it. The cops & EMT's told me my helmet saved my egg. But I truly believe my number wasn't up and that's all.

So light on is a good thing as are helmets. But, the best way to protect yourself IMO is to consider yourself invisible. If you think they see you......you are making a huge mistake.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low Beam

Old 01-31-2008, 03:12 PM
coastrider
Road Master

I have a pair guard mounted fog lights so I ride with the low beam all the time. I would like to have the option of high beam with the fog lights but Oregon says that is a no no. Oregon allows five head lights so am considering another pair of clear running lights. I also installed the brightest bulb HD advised for my Street Bob. In a related note. I added the rear running light module so my rear turn signals also act as taillights and added a modulator to the brake light.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After being run off the road for no reason at all a few times a couple decades ago, I always ride with the high beams on during daylight hours.

But, as others mentioned, ALWAYS assume they don't see you, be prepared.

Oh yeah, rear view mirrors when at stop lights too, I'd be dead now if I wasn't looking behind as much as in front stopped at ared light.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Reverend

Jeez, you lot are priceless. If you think you can rely on high beam to make sure they see you, you're wrong. Very, very wrong.

Firstly, what happens if you look at a bright light? You look away or shut your eyes..
Secondly, if you DO look at a bright light, there is a 'halo' effect around it which effectively masks a silhouette of bike & rider, meaning the looker simply disregards the light,
Thirdly, this halo masks your direction indicators.

It's not how dazzling the light is that makes them see you, but the bigger picture of bike & rider behind it. Make them pay more attention by moving around in your lane, making eye contact at junctions, adding arm signals when necessary, and generally RIDING BETTER.

Never ever ride on high beam in daylight, PLEEEEEASE.

Phew. Soapbox away now..

The only incident I have ever had with my bike was the afternoon I went for a ride and had the low beams on. I normally religously use high beams in the day, but for some reason had the lows on this particular day.

A dumb *** broad pulled right out in front of me from the stop sign she was stopped at. Looked right through me,

After that incident I MAKE CERTAIN, that my high beams are on. In fact, I bought the HID headlight from Harley and use it on high beam,

I would rather have some dumb *** blink, or squint their eyes,at my approach, as opposed to them not seeing me on low,

I laughed my *** off at the Reverends comment that if one sees I bright light approaching they simply disregard it, D'OH!!

Personal experience, learn from it,

Quick Reply: Headlights