Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob Squadron - owners check in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mill789
lovely bike !
my 2009 on the first good day of 2017 here in ireland
dublin ireland

march 2017
Nice! There's a Fat Bob running around your area with one of my fairings on it. If you see a Uke's H-D in Kenosha, WI tee shirt, you may have found him. It's a big city, but one pint at a time makes a fine search ☺

I really like the "bellows" style fork slider covers on your bike, are those split for installation or do you have to slide the tubes out of the trees? Thanks.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 AM
G1147
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdndiesel

My 09 FB with the last winters work completed. Rear fender changed to Low Rider fender and LED lights all around.
Where did you mount the plate, looks like on the fender care to share a picture?
I did pretty much the same and need more ideas on mounting the plate, I don't care for the side mount at all.
Later Greg

Old 03-29-2017, 01:42 PM
cdndiesel
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Greg, I bought a laydown plate frame from Hogrida.com He's one of the only guys tha tmakes a laydown frame for our big Canadian motorcycle plates. He makes frames for U.S. plates too. Very fair prices.

The following users liked this post:
G1147 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:09 PM
Rsmithruss
1st Gear
Default O9 fxdf

O9 too much to list. Just pulling it out of winter storage.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:40 PM
mill789
Novice

Originally Posted by Glenn W
Nice! There's a Fat Bob running around your area with one of my fairings on it. If you see a Uke's H-D in Kenosha, WI tee shirt, you may have found him. It's a big city, but one pint at a time makes a fine search ☺

I really like the "bellows" style fork slider covers on your bike, are those split for installation or do you have to slide the tubes out of the trees? Thanks.

Unfortunately you have to take he forks off to get them on
I was changing the trees anyway
But would be a lot of hassle for just the rubber boots

Old 03-30-2017, 07:02 AM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by SenorCollin
I looked into a lot of different fairings when I was trying to decide what I wanted, and I decided this one fit better with the direction I wanted to take the bike. But I learned about what has to be close to every option, so I'm happy to share what I've learned.

I like the Conely's a lot, I'm 6'4" and use the 14" windshield with the clamps mounted as high as I can get them (the top ones sit right below my upper tree). I feel like it looks kinda strange with shorter windshields because the thing is so wide, but that's subjective. Buffeting is pretty minimal, the wind blast hits my helmet near the top above the visor, so if you are of a more normal height then it probably would go right over your helmet set up how mine is. What is more annoying is the wind noise created from the displaced air coming up from beneath the fairing, but I tend to wear ear protection for any rides longer than 30 minutes or so. With the problem of the extra noise addressed, I barely notice any buffeting. But when I forget to put in the ear plugs, I get much more fatigued from the same ride- all the extra noise really wears on me. With that being said, I also like so ride pretty fast so if you tend to stay closer to the speed limit, the problem wouldn't be amplified as much. Another bonus for me is that he is based out of Chula Vista, which isn't too far from me so I have ridden down to the shop to get all my parts from him, and he has installed them/gone out of his way to help with any problems I've had. It's a great fairing, but annoying to remove and replace so it almost never comes off my bike.

As far as other options to compare it to, I haven't had anything else on this bike. I know Memphis Shades makes a batwing fairing for the Fat Bob, and I had one of theirs on my previous bike which was a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom that I was pretty pleased with, especially for the price. The quick detach hardware only leaves 4 little posts on your fork tubes and goes on and off in like ten seconds. Another nice thing about it is you have more windshield options since MS has regular windshields as well as ones that are curved out at the top. Once again, looks are subjective but I feel like the Conely's looks better and especially with the handguards offers similar wind protection. This is a link to the headlights that I run, but the photos are of a Fat Bob with what looks to be the MS fairing:
https://www.moonsmc.com/products/fat...nt=26775938248

Tsukayu also makes a batwing fairing with speakers if that is important to you:
https://www.tsukayu.com/Fatbob%20series.html

There are a couple of different options available from Dougz for quarter fairings for the FXDF. I thought that they were compatible with Harley QD clamps, but I can't find any information on this tonight. These fairings would offer less wind protection, and I would wager less buffeting from the rounder profile and lower height. Once again I have not tried this fairing myself, I'm just going off my experience with a similarly sized Memphis Shades fairing that I had for my Kawasaki in addition to my batwing fairing. For daily riding/warmer weather I would use the smaller one to reduce pressure from the wind blasting on my chest, and in colder weather/longer rides I would switch out to the larger fairing that caused some buffeting but offered better wind protection.
https://www.dougz.com/product-page/f...0-38a70d063c26

Then if you aren't opposed to switching to a single headlight, you have some more options. Here is a link to a KingBowser's build thread, where he used an Arlen Ness fairing that looks pretty sharp as well as some other awesome mods like handguards with integrated rigid LEDs as turn signals: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...2014-fxdf.html

Ray, who has some posts in this thread, modified a louvered Arlen Ness fairing a bit to fit the wide glide front end of the FXDF and I think it looked pretty damn good. I suspect the wind protection would be similar to any of the other small ones, but you would have to check with him. There are some pictures of his bike with that setup on page 333 of this thread.

I've seen people put the JD custom T Sport fairing of the Fat Bob, you could probably get the Conely's one to work as well

For maximum protection you could also go big and install an FXRT fairing on your bike. I think they look VERY good on the Fat Bob. I would love to put one on my bike if money ever permits.

That fairing weighs about 45 lbs. Something to think about.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:10 AM
mikich
Stage III

Originally Posted by 619DYNA619
Here's a couple pics from when I finally got around to putting my light bar on. The bike needs a good cleaning real bad....

Like your light bar, can you please post a link to where you bought this or just a name?
Also, I'd like to know how to connect this bar

Thanks dude!

Last edited by mikich; 03-31-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:31 AM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mill789
Unfortunately you have to take he forks off to get them on
I was changing the trees anyway
But would be a lot of hassle for just the rubber boots
Agreed, but now that I've seen them I know if I ever have to do anything on the front end, I'll add those while I'm at it. Do you have a part # or anything to identify them? I may pick up a pair ahead of time and stash them where I only have a 50-50 chance of losing them
I remember there used to be ones you could pop on and off dirt bike forks, but I don't recall if they still looked OK when not covered in mud.

Last edited by Glenn W; 04-13-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:24 PM
Controlledchaos
Stage II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada.
2011 Fat Bob w/ Stage 1 and some beauty upgrades.

Just picked her up on monday.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:39 PM
Fatbobal
Novice
Default Newer member from PA

My 13 fatbob stock when I got it a month ago with 2230mi as it sits now there's a lot to get powder coated

Quick Reply: Fat Bob Squadron - owners check in!