Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob Squadron - owners check in!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 AM
rabbi
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re 6'4"

G'day carseller 0822,
I'm only 6'1" but I found these mods made the bike a lot more comfortable, and cost very little.
1. A mate turned up 2" riser extensions for me. These lifted the standard bars & risers the most you can without needing to change cables & wiring. They made the steering lighter and meant I can now see a bit of what is behind me in my mirrors.
2. I lengthened the gearshift lever 1". This meant i could actually get my foot underneath the shift peg without needing to be a contortionist. I picked up an old Softail lever for $20, cut & extended it & powdercoated it.
3. The standard seat got reshaped and leather covered. Here Downunder, vinyl seats get very hot in Summer. The leather stays cool - no more screams of anguish as your hopes of fatherhood literally go up in smoke

Hope that helps a bit

Old 06-30-2011, 07:15 AM
greybeard6005
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carseller0822
I've got an 08 FXDF that with the exception of a 120R SE motor is pretty stock.
How do you like the 120R? I'm sure from a performance standpoint, it makes cafe racers wonder why they wasted their money, but I'm more curious about noise level of the motor (not the exhaust). Valves, etc, quiet?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:55 AM
carseller0822
Advanced

Originally Posted by greybeard6005
How do you like the 120R? I'm sure from a performance standpoint, it makes cafe racers wonder why they wasted their money, but I'm more curious about noise level of the motor (not the exhaust). Valves, etc, quiet?

I thought at first that something was wrong because I was hearing some sort of "ticking" or "clicking" noise when I accelerated. I took it to the HD shop and the tech who did all the work took it out and said that it was normal valve noise. At that point I hadn't even put 1000 miles on the motor. He said that as I put more miles on it the noise would start to go away. Sure enough it has. I've got almost 3500 on the engine now and I hardly hear anything.

As for how I like it otherwise? I f-ing love it. I really didn't have anything to compare it to at first. I have since ridden a couple of other HDs, one with a stock 96 and another that was punched out to 103. There is no comparison. Performance and sound are amazing. I had seriously considered getting a bigger bike for comfort but I know I won't be happy with any other motor.

Last edited by carseller0822; 06-30-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:20 AM
carseller0822
Advanced

Originally Posted by rabbi
G'day carseller 0822,
I'm only 6'1" but I found these mods made the bike a lot more comfortable, and cost very little.
1. A mate turned up 2" riser extensions for me. These lifted the standard bars & risers the most you can without needing to change cables & wiring. They made the steering lighter and meant I can now see a bit of what is behind me in my mirrors.
2. I lengthened the gearshift lever 1". This meant i could actually get my foot underneath the shift peg without needing to be a contortionist. I picked up an old Softail lever for $20, cut & extended it & powdercoated it.
3. The standard seat got reshaped and leather covered. Here Downunder, vinyl seats get very hot in Summer. The leather stays cool - no more screams of anguish as your hopes of fatherhood literally go up in smoke

Hope that helps a bit
When I originally got the bike it had the HD Low Profile Distressed seat and I felt like I was sitting in a hole. I talked with the mechanic about the uncomfortable ride I was getting and he suggested either
a) swapping out the factory riser for a 6" with a 2" pullback or
b) try a different seat.
The riser plan he had would've cost some serious $$$ because he said I'd have to swap all the cables. He gave me an original FXDF seat to try out and it does bring me forward thus relieving the stress on my neck and shoulders but now I feel like my knees are in my chin. I have an engine guard that will make it difficult to extend the controls but I think that's what I'm going to to have to try next. If not I might go back to my low pro seat and try the 2" riser like you did.
As for the shift lever I have Kurkyan controls now and I don't have much trouble shifting.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:26 AM
carseller0822
Advanced

Originally Posted by Manu
Carseller0822, I'm not 6'4" , but i have a military injury to my left shoulder so long distance was getting to me . I love the bars, didn't want to change them, so I went with a set of risers makes long rides more comfortable. good luck
When you changed risers what did you go to? I am seriously considering this but I'm trying to avoid having to swap all the the cables. Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:29 AM
carseller0822
Advanced

This forum rocks. I just joined the other day and I can't believe how helpful it's been. Thank you to everyone who has made joining a positive experience. I'm really new to Harley's and I appreciate folks not making me feel any more ignorant than I already do.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone turned their Risers forward on the Fatbob?

Carseller.... when will you take the 120" Fatbob to the strip and see what it will run the 1/4 in ???

Old 06-30-2011, 11:05 AM
carseller0822
Advanced

Originally Posted by motolocopat
Has anyone turned their Risers forward on the Fatbob?

Carseller.... when will you take the 120" Fatbob to the strip and see what it will run the 1/4 in ???
Probably not anytime soon. I'm too cheap. Just thinking about the cost of fixing anything that I'd break makes me sick.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:07 PM
racertb
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
It's from Leatherworks and it's the chopper bag. You can get them in both left and right side if you like. Here's a link to the original thread I posted when I installed the bag...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...lo-bag-on.html

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:24 PM
slednecker22
Stage IV
Default 09' Bob

Wishing there was more hours in the day !

Quick Reply: Fat Bob Squadron - owners check in!