Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 02:03 AM
needadyna
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach suggestions??

I've gotta 05 DynaGlide Custom. It has the speedo in a Chrome Billet housing.

I'd really like to add a tach, but HD doesn't make a chrome billet housing for dual 3 1/5 OEM guages.

I want to keep the OEM speedo and add a tach in a chrome billet housing if possible. I've checked most places and can't find what I need to do it like I want.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Old 01-17-2006, 12:12 AM
kpreese
Road Captain
Default RE: Tach suggestions??

My street bob has a different speedo location, but I think my tach mount would work for you as well.

Check out this link:
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,173,00.html

I did a tutorial type of thing, most of which you can ignore. But there are a few good shots of the tach mount. This mount is made by Alloy Art and is available for the H-D mini tach (as I used) or a small standard size that I can't recall (2-5/8" maybe???).

It is a well made part and I searched for a LONG time before I found it. There was a minor problem mounting it on my bike because it wouldn't properly bolt to the stem post without a lock washer that wasn't provided nor mentioned in the instructions. It is a VERY minor thing and perhaps on a 2005, the washer isn't even necessary.

Anyway, if you are interested, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it.
Kevin

Old 01-17-2006, 01:55 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a very nice install, I like the way that looks. Un fortunatly, I see two things that may prevent me from using it. 1. $190 is a lot of money for a gauge mount. Even a nice polished billet piece like this. 2. Every 12K-15K miles I you have to remove it to service the stem bearings, set fall away, etc.

But I like it a lot, and I'll probably do it anyway. Thanx for the tip.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:25 AM
needadyna
Tourer

Thanks....but your speedo is on the tank....mine is on the handlebars. I want to keep the OEM speedo and add a tach.

Lookin for a billet that will house both without changing out speedo.

Thanks for the help though

Old 01-17-2006, 02:40 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

Actually, the parts Kevin described should fit really well with the bar mounted speedo of the FXDI and the FXDIC. It would place the mini-tach directly below the speedometer. It would look better with the custom, because it is already chromed. On the Superglide it's black wrinkle.

I've been thinking about the same thing. With both the speedo and tach sticking out there in front of the bars, it looks a little akward. placing the tach under the speedo might look a little more balanced.

If you decide to swap out your original chromed speedo housing, let me know. I might give you some cash for it.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:42 AM
kpreese
Road Captain

Bob, two things:
1. I thought about servicing the stem bearings and was a little concerned until I installed it. It takes about 2 minutes, if that, to remove it. An allen wrench to remove the pod from the base and another to remove the base from the stem post. Certainly not enough hassle to scrap this style if you otherwise like it.

2. Every nicely chromed gauge mounting option that I looked at was expensive. Some are just machined flat plate and then chromed and even THEY can be ridiculously expensive. This thing was well designed and needed a lot of machining. It certainly is justified in costing at least a little more than the typical mount out there. With all things "money", the important thing is that YOU feel like it is worth the money. It ain't cheap and I definitely felt the pain of that purchase, but no have regrets. If I'd have gone with a different mount, I still would have spent a lot of money and not gotten what I liked.

And needadyna:
This mount looks great on a bike with the speedo on the bars, in my opinion. Powercobra98 on this forum, has installed it on his Super Glide Custom. PM him and I'm sure he'd be glad to send some pics.

Kevin

Old 01-19-2006, 04:05 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: needadyna

Thanks....but your speedo is on the tank....mine is on the handlebars. I want to keep the OEM speedo and add a tach.

Lookin for a billet that will house both without changing out speedo.

Thanks for the help though
You DO keep the OEM speedo. I've got an 06 Super Glide Custom with the same handlebar mount you have. If you want a tach this is the way to go. You don't want the big double gauge pod, they look gay. At least in my opinion. At any rate here are some pictures of mine. The pictures aren't all that great but you should be able to get the idea of how it looks installed with the same setup. KPREESE was a GREAT help to me with regards to this installation, in fact working together we both found the best ways to actually do the install. If you need help/directions/advice just get in touch with either of us.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:30 PM
needadyna
Tourer

Thanks.....I like the pics

When I get ready, That's the way I'll go. Definitely don't wanna look GAY. LOL

What part # is your HD Tach??

Thanks again

Old 01-19-2006, 07:03 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

I like it. Seeing the pictures makes me realize that's exactly what I want. Compact, well balanced. Expensive, but worth it. Glad it's not a pain during servicing.

Sigh. Thanx a lot, guys. Now I have to go spend more money

Old 01-19-2006, 07:11 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Any one kinow if this tach set up will work on fxdwg. I want to keep my windshield bag. Is the mount HD.

Quick Reply: Tach suggestions??