Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Dyna Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 10:26 AM
bporter
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2006 Dyna Transmission

I guess my concern is with the repair itself. As you know, when someting is taken apart and put back together, it's not always assembled exactly the way it was from the factory. Tork on the screws, fittings not seated properly, gaskets improperly installed, the wrong tools used, etc. Sometimes problems from improper reassembly won't show up for several months or even years later. My 2006 Lowrider goes in for the rework next week.

Here's a link to the service bulletin that was sent out to all HD service centers. http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...hog3/M1183.pdf

Old 01-16-2006, 10:40 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer hasn't even received any recall kits yet so I'm on the waiting list to get fixed. I'm hoping they can get everything done before riding season begins.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:05 AM
johnd
Novice

My 06 Low Rider is in the shop now having the recall done. I noticed that the neutral location was at times 'vague', but haven't had it jump into gear or anything like that.

I'll give it a good inspection upon its return and post what I see and find. I was hoping to be 3rd, or later to get it done by my dealer, but unfortunately I am the first.

John D.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:12 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bporter

I guess my concern is with the repair itself. As you know, when someting is taken apart and put back together, it's not always assembled exactly the way it was from the factory. Tork on the screws, fittings not seated properly, gaskets improperly installed, the wrong tools used, etc. Sometimes problems from improper reassembly won't show up for several months or even years later. My 2006 Lowrider goes in for the rework next week.

Here's a link to the service bulletin that was sent out to all HD service centers. http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...hog3/M1183.pdf
Exactly...Everytime I take something apart, there's always a few screws leftover And from what I see in that bulletin, it's a pretty complicated job. (of course, anything would be complicated to me, but complicated nontheless).
I just hope that whoever's doing the work on my bike right now knows what they're doing...

Todd

Old 01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not just a false light (nuetral) it actually has slipped out of nuetral on a couple bikes. I have not talked to anyone on any forum or in person that it has actually happened to, but if it did it ti a couple then....... I think the MoCO is doing a good job with the recall. I have talked to my dealer (they are good people) and it is not hard, just time consuming. The MoCo gives three and a half hours, but it is a full work day from start to finish, or at least that is what its taking people here in this area. My buddy got his Bob from a different dealer and has got the same info. I am #6 on the list at my dealer, and thats cool. They have done two already...I figure they will be good at it by the time ole #6 comes in! In the mean time I dont let it idle in nuetral with out haveing the clutch in, just in case. I have had no probs at all, and actually, this tranny is the nocest I have ever rode.

No worries here. In fact, I just finished a 150 mile solo ride.........aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh, I feel "right"!

Old 01-17-2006, 01:46 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JamieWG

I believe the recall is a little more serious than just a faulty neutral switch. The problem is, the bike can unexpectedly jump into gear from neutral.
Can you substantiate that? I've heard only a couple of small rumors about this, but suspected that's all they were - internet rumors.

Is this a big enough problem to be concerned about?

Old 01-17-2006, 03:08 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

ORIGINAL: JamieWG

I believe the recall is a little more serious than just a faulty neutral switch. The problem is, the bike can unexpectedly jump into gear from neutral.
Can you substantiate that? I've heard only a couple of small rumors about this, but suspected that's all they were - internet rumors.

Is this a big enough problem to be concerned about?
I think it's a big enough problem to take some precautions. I haven't had the recall service performed yet and I don't know when I'll do it. I ride about 15,000 miles a year, so I'll be due for the bearing change this summer. I may wait until then and have both things done at the same time. I used to put the bike in neutral and fire the engine up. Then I'd let it sit and warm up for a minute or two while I stood around or got ready to ride. Now I just don't let the bike sit and idle in neutral unless I am on it. Just a precaution I take to prevent it from jumping into gear and falling off the kickstand. I never sit in traffic in neutral anyway, so I'm not concerned about the problem while riding.

If you read this service bulletin you'll see this -

"Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has learned that a
condition affecting safety exists on 2006 Dyna models. The
transmissions in these motorcycles have a defect which may
allow them to go into a false neutral position even though the
neutral indicator light is illuminated. If this happens the transmission
could engage into first or second gear unexpectedly
and create the risk of a crash and injuries."

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...hog3/M1183.pdf

The wording is sort of murky - is it a faulty neutral light, or does it jump into gear on it's own? From what I've been told by a pretty good HD tech, there were a few instances where new Dynas jumped into gear when no one was expecting it. It's never happened to my bike, but I can imagine the scenario and I'd rather avoid it.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:27 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

The recall is that the bike shows it is in neutral but is not. People have dropped the clutch on one that showed neutral but was not. It was either in first or second gear.You know what happen next. Somebody got hurt.

"If that happens, the transmission could engage into first or second gear unexpectedly if the clutch is released," Harley-Davidson spokesman Bob Klein said Wednesday

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/newsand...s/hd6sprecall/

Mine has been done. They will come get the ride do the recall and bring it back to you. All No charge.

There is no hunting for neutral. It is a more positive shift.

Dealers are not allowed to release a new sale unless it had been serviced. There were 13,400 Dyna's in the recall.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:27 AM
snowyhog
Cruiser

I had the recall notice yesterday , but my bike has been at the dealers 5 weeks , mainly waiting for parts for the 95cu conversion for 06 bikes .
But up to last saturday they are still waiting for the recall parts , they told me the recall only effects dyna's made in june/july , the wait for dynabobs is nothing to do with above .

Old 01-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Alex_06FXDBI
Cruiser

I had the recall done a couple weeks ago. N was hard to find at first but it's perfect now. shifts seem as firm as ever but jsut a hell of a lot easier to find Neutral - I had the 1000 mile service while there and went to synthetic fluids. it had to burn off a little smell right after the work was performed but an hour or so in Mt Baldy took care of that. My dealer had the bike for 24 hours almost exactly.

Alex

Quick Reply: 2006 Dyna Transmission