Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slip on exhaust without remap

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 01:44 PM
wild wally
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: slip on exhaust without remap

ORIGINAL: JamieWG

ORIGINAL: grizzly

I am learning as I go on here...great forum btw....If Ihave D/L, SE II slip ons, and SEA/C, and the bike is a bitl ean....I can put the stock AC back with the D/L and Slipons and it should richen up a bit right? Just making sure I am on track.....
Thanks
Right. If the bike is running lean, try the stock AC and see how it does.
ORIGINAL: grizzly

Look, after many posts and many opinion, I did the research myself.....

....How do slip ons and a high flow AC change your mixture? It makes your bike run lean, because the factory set numbers in the ECU chip will not compensate for that much more air flow. Less restrictive pipes allow your A/C to suck more air, and a high flow A/C, well thats self explanitory. When you purchase the Factory cartidge (Down Load) it changes the numbers in the tables of the ECU. This allows the ECU to calculate formulas for the increase in air flow. If you add the SE A/C, or the slip ons with out at least the D/L, your bike will be dangerously lean, probably run like crap, and will cause you headaches.

OK, so what's the debate with the factory D/L. Here it gets shady. The D/L parameters (changes made to the algorithm tables) were set with the SE A/C, and the HD slip ons. Is that a fact.....cant find it anywhere yet, but it makes sense, and here is why: People with the SE A/C, and SE II slip ons with the factory D/L are running lean. Some say a little to lean. Now if they had the more restrictive HD slip ons, I would bet they would be right on the money as far as the mixture goes. Problem, the HD slip ons dont sound any louder than the stock pipes. People (me included) want that rumble. Solution: keep the restrictive stock A/C, and use the SE II pipes with the D/L. ....
Bingo! We have a winner! We should make this info a sticky at the top of the forum.

Here's my "test" results, and pretty much the bottom line for me. Your results may vary. I'm not a mechanic. And your dealer may say you're nuts, so don't hold me to it. But here's what I've found out.

A) I got the download, Stage I air cleaner, and Harley slipons (NOT the SEII slipons) on my '06 FXDCI. THe Harley slipons were barely louder, if any, than stock. The bike ran GREAT! Fast, smooth and nice snappy response and torque when I throttled it. But it was way too quiet.

B) I bought a pair of SEII slipons and installed them myself, leaving the stage one air cleaner and download intact. Bike sounded much better, but ran a bit lean. It lost that snappy response. I noticed it most cruising around town in third and fourth gear. And it seemed to lose some of it's hill climbing power. And my plugs were pretty white.

C) I removed the Stage 1 Air cleaner and put the stock air cleaner back on. So now my bike has the download, stock air cleaner and the SEII slipons. Bam! The snappy response is back! My bike sounds good, runs great! It's a real joy to ride. Quick and responsive, and you really feel it in your butt when you throttle it.

Once it gets warm, I'm gonna get a couple hundred more miles on it and pull the plugs and see how they look.

Thanks Jamie and Grizzly and everyone for all the info!!

Hope this helps,

Wally

Old 02-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Adrenaman
Advanced

Thanks aot for the good info. I put the SEII Slip Ons last night and WOW now my Bob sounds like a Harley! Im going to get the DL this weekend.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:35 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I took my own advice and threw the Stock A/C on. As Wally said the bike ran GREAT on the way in to work today. The D/L was for restictive pipes and High flow A/C. All we (wally and I) did was reverse it with High flow SEII pipes and the stock restrictive A/C. I wish I would not have bought that damn SE A/C now, but at least I know I am not running to lean now, the bike sounds good, and runs great. I have that "peace of mind" and can enjoy the ride.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Halfbuck
Cruiser

This is some great info, guys. I've been swiming through these threads trying to mesh together all of the different information, experiences, and opinions.

Sounds to me like the SEII slip ons, Download, and Stock A/C combiniation is the way to go. I'm also just looking for the Harley sound and don't really mind if I don't have a few more HP. It also doesn't bother me that I could save the cost of the high flow A/C! Also, with tyring this set-up first, it seems you could just add the A/C or TFI/DFO type device afterwards if needed.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Halfbuck
Cruiser

I notice you guys have 06's. Are there any changes from the 05's (I have an 05 Low Rider) that would affect my bike differently than the 06's concerning the SEII Slip-ons, Download, and Stock A/C combo? Should I expect the same result? Thanks!

Old 02-08-2006, 05:21 PM
grizzly
Road Master

Not to sure, but there are plenty of 05 dyna owners here that should be able to get you the true scoop.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:34 PM
theyogawarrior
Tourer

My head just exploded

Old 02-09-2006, 12:53 AM
stock28
Intermediate

Well I was set to get the stage 1 done on my Bob before I picked it up. Now maybe I'll just go with the SEII's and the download and see how she runs. Wish Harley would come out and say exactly what is needed on the 06's. It gets a little confusing.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:09 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

OK everybody hold on to your heads, put in the CVO injectors , they have twice the fuel outlets as the stockers and you'll have plenty of fuel for the stage one too. And you thought it was all over

Old 02-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Halfbuck
Cruiser

Oh boy.....

Quick Reply: slip on exhaust without remap