Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slip on exhaust without remap

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:36 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: slip on exhaust without remap

ORIGINAL: grizzly

I am learning as I go on here...great forum btw....If Ihave D/L, SE II slip ons, and SEA/C, and the bike is a bitl ean....I can put the stock AC back with the D/L and Slipons and it should richen up a bit right? Just making sure I am on track.....
Thanks
Right. If the bike is running lean, try the stock AC and see how it does.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:53 PM
wild wally
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: grizzly

I am learning as I go on here...great forum btw....If Ihave D/L, SE II slip ons, and SEA/C, and the bike is a bitl ean....I can put the stock AC back with the D/L and Slipons and it should richen up a bit right? Just making sure I am on track.....
Thanks
Hey grizzly,

We both have the exact same setup (i think you already knew that). I'm putting the stock a/c back on the first dry day above 45 or so and taking it for a spin. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wally

Old 01-17-2006, 01:54 PM
MikeO
Advanced

This is about the 4th post (at least) on this subject in the past couple of weeks. I’ve been watching them very closely as I’m going to be putting the SEII’s on my Lowrider.
As I stated in one of the other posts my dealer says “no” to the download with just the SEII’s but as we see from these posts there seems to be lots of disagreement and differing of opinions. Don’t you wonder what Harley has to say about all this? I can’t believe that they don’t know about this issue and try and get all the dealers on the same page. It’s not good customer service to have all your dealers giving different advice.
I’ll be watching this issue very closely for the next couple of months so when spring arrives hopefully I’ll have a definitive answer before I put the SE’s on...

Old 01-17-2006, 02:12 PM
wild wally
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MikeO

This is about the 4th post (at least) on this subject in the past couple of weeks...
LOL - yep! There's been this core group of us with '06s that have been discussing this for months!!

I still can't believe that the moco hasn't delivered a definitive answer to it's dealers. oh well. We'll figure it out.

I'm hopeful that jamiewg is on the right track suggesting the download and stock a/c as a good match with the seII's. I'll know more soon.

Wally

Old 01-17-2006, 02:55 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

You guys always have the option of the TFI to richen it up a bit, they work well and will give you a better running bike in any event if you don't want to go with more expensive tuners.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Renegade
Tourer

I want to put some SE Slip Ons or some V&H on my bike but it seems like there is no proven method up to this point. I pick up my bike in a little over 30 days when I get home and I think I will keep it stock for the initial 1000 miles. That will give me some time to learn more. The way I see it though skip the download and go with a Power Commander or a V&H FuelPack. You can then make adjustments in the future if you decide to change anything. All I want is some pipes that sound right with a good a/c like K&N on my $16,000 bike that will run worth a damn. I'll be patient but not forever!

Old 02-07-2006, 11:36 AM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

You guys always have the option of the TFI to richen it up a bit, they work well and will give you a better running bike in any event if you don't want to go with more expensive tuners.
Are you sure the TFI works with the 06 Dyna set up? if so, That may be a good choice.

Wild W, you throw that stock AC back on yet????

Old 02-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Adrenaman
Advanced

I just bought the SEII slipons and the SE a/c. I havent installed anything yet. The dealer told me I needed the SE a/c and DL, he said the motor would run risk of getting too hot if I didnt get the SE a/c and DL. Now im confused I dont know if I should keep the SE a/c and do DL or not with the SEII slipons. If I do keep the SE a/c and get the DL will I get a performance increase? Or should I just keep the SEII slipons and take back the SE a/c and forget the Dl?

Old 02-07-2006, 05:15 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Adrenaman

I just bought the SEII slipons and the SE a/c. I havent installed anything yet. The dealer told me I needed the SE a/c and DL, he said the motor would run risk of getting too hot if I didnt get the SE a/c and DL. Now im confused I dont know if I should keep the SE a/c and do DL or not with the SEII slipons. If I do keep the SE a/c and get the DL will I get a performance increase? Or should I just keep the SEII slipons and take back the SE a/c and forget the Dl?

Look, after many posts and many opinion, I did the research myself.

First you need to understand that the ECM (or ECU) controls the injectors (fuel), and the throttle controls the air intake. The amount of fuel that goes in through the injectors is determined by the amount of time they stay open. This is called pulse width. The ECU controls the pulse width by takeing information from sensors, applying them to algorithm tables, and comming up with a solution that equals the amount of time to leave the injector open. Sensors provide the ECM readings to apply to the algarithm table. These sensors would include a O2 sensor, temp sensor, throttle position sensor, pressure sensor, engine speed sensor (RPM), ect. The factory down load, or any other item (SERT, PC, DFO) do not affect the sensors. They affect what the ECU does with the information that the sensor provides. The ECU takes the info, and a chip inside has factory set tables that the ECU refers to and calculates pulse width(amount of fuel to spray in to the chamber). End result, the pulse width ( amount of fuel ), and the throttle position ( amount of air ) determine your mixture, be it lean or rich. Due to the EPA *****, a stock bike is lean right of the assembly line. Why? lean mixtures burn up all the fuel thus less emissions. However, your burn is hotter and that is not healthy for your engine. The EPA could care less about your engine life. (by the way, the MoCo probably doesnt mind to aweful much, since they are makeing the money of engine repairs)

Second, How do slip ons and a high flow AC change your mixture? It makes your bike run lean, because the factory set numbers in the ECU chip will not compensate for that much more air flow. Less restrictive pipes allow your A/C to suck more air, and a high flow A/C, well thats self explanitory. When you purchase the Factory cartidge (Down Load) it changes the numbers in the tables of the ECU. This allows the ECU to calculate formulas for the increase in air flow. If you add the SE A/C, or the slip ons with out at least the D/L, your bike will be dangerously lean, probably run like crap, and will cause you headaches.

OK, so what's the debate with the factory D/L. Here it gets shady. The D/L parameters (changes made to the algorithm tables) were set with the SE A/C, and the HD slip ons. Is that a fact.....cant find it anywhere yet, but it makes sense, and here is why: People with the SE A/C, and SE II slip ons with the factory D/L are running lean. Some say a little to lean. Now if they had the more restrictive HD slip ons, I would bet they would be right on the money as far as the mixture goes. Problem, the HD slip ons dont sound any louder than the stock pipes. People (me included) want that rumble. Solution: keep the restrictive stock A/C, and use the SE II pipes with the D/L.

That is great (and cheaper since you wont need the SE A/C) if all you are concerned with is more exhaust sound, and still want your bike to have a rightous mixture. But......if you want the full performance increase with your stage one upgrade.....or you want louder and less restrictive pipes like V&H for example, then the factory D/L will not adjust those tables in your ECU enough to get a good mixture. You are going to have to get a SERT, PCIII, DFO, TFI, Fuel Pak, or some other after market EFI Tuner.

Me, I am happy with the performance of my WG, and really, to be honest,

Old 02-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Locojuan
Advanced

I am in the same dilema and was talking to the dealer about it just othe other day. NO FLAMING PLEASE THIS IS ONLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD He tells me the factory d/l may be a detriment with warranty issues or may make your warrany null and void although he has never seen it happen yet. My question to him then was that it was from HD so how could that be? He said the remap is for the introduction of a high flow air cleaner and add on quiet mufflers, not big radius short shots or the like. Once the d/l is in place there is no hiding it as it is permanently embedded in the ECM. As the conversation went on we talked about add ons such as power commander III etc. In short what came from the conversation was that a fuel management system is removable in the event of serious warranty issues and there would no trace of ever being there. (except in the case of SERT) What I don't like about the Power Commander III Usb is that they want you to remove the 02 sensors altogether and run without them, kind of reverse technology to me. So I am leaning in the direction of Vance and Hines fuel pak or equivalent but do have some concern about the fit as someone previously mentioned the seat was putting pressure on it? I don't know if the factory security system with the pager and siren takes up some of the free space in that area. So I guess it's wait and see for me. V&H told me over the phone the dimensions of the fuel pak are apparently 2"-3"-1" My game plan is to run the bike block stock for awhile then add on the big radius by t themselves, then the air cleaner and see how it runs. My main concern is the bikes runability, I dislike backfiring or popping, power is not really of concern, just a smooth running engine with the Harley sound. Some further foresight on this issue would be great.

Quick Reply: slip on exhaust without remap