Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stupid Question ?

Reading all these Exhaust Question which there aredaily, I cant figure out Why someone would go out and spend 13,000.00 to 18,000.00 on a bike then spend 200.00 on a A/C and another 300.00/500.00 on a Exhaust system and alot of other moneys on chrome stuff, But over look the most Important part of the exhaust equation spending 300.00 to 500.00 to get the bike tuned so the bike runs Cooler andat it's full potentialfor a long life....Is it because it's money spent on someting that you cant look at..?Because you can definatly feel the differance if it's done right... over justa download A/C and pipes...

Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 AM
wkdavistx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stupid Question ?

I like stupid questions, because I'm full of stupid answers. Problem is, this isn't a stupid question... I agree with you totally.

What really gets me is that you can get a PCIII off eBay for about $200 and tune it yourself if you have a little mechanical knowledge and know how to read and some people still just want to bolt on power/cosmetics without following through to get all the power (and keep their machine from running hot).

I guess we need to keep educating...

Gravel

Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i have always changed parts out on bikes and cars my whole life .to make them run better and to look better. dont every body.people i know do it's the fun and enjoyment of owning them. you dont havat change to go faster but to breath better pull better for two up rideing.and you dont want your bike to look like every body else's.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Answer to stupid question...

As a new rider and a newer Harley owner, you learn as you go.

I assumed that a complete stage 1 install by the dealer and subsequent 1000 mile service would get the job done right.

I run 6 Auto Dealerships... my customers would expect and insist on the same.

As hard as I work, getting back to the dealer for service ain't easy.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Hutson
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Trotter

Reading all these Exhaust Question which there aredaily, I cant figure out Why someone would go out and spend 13,000.00 to 18,000.00 on a bike then spend 200.00 on a A/C and another 300.00/500.00 on a Exhaust system and alot of other moneys on chrome stuff, But over look the most Important part of the exhaust equation spending 300.00 to 500.00 to get the bike tuned so the bike runs Cooler andat it's full potentialfor a long life....Is it because it's money spent on someting that you cant look at..?Because you can definatly feel the differance if it's done right... over justa download A/C and pipes...
What you say seems to make a lot of sense to me. I for one do not know alot about how the changing of the exhaust affects your bike and have been one of the ones that have asked the questions. I know based on the great information and guidance that I have received from you and others on this site it has made me rethink what exhaust I will use orat least to wait until I have enough money to do it right. If a lot of people are like me they just do not realize or did not realize what all you must do besides just buying a set of pipes and having them put on. I guess it is like the old saying"you can lead a horse to water butyou can't make them drink."

Old 01-23-2008, 09:57 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

The only thing is that Stage 1, breather and exhaust, can be handled on most bikes with a $100 remap of the fuel injection. Since the change is faily "mappable" or standard then a change must be made, but it doesn't need to be a PCIII or a tuning.

I did this and my bike runs great and has for four years. And it will handle my friends 103 on his SEEG (my bike and I weigh 250 lbs less than his in total). If you make, or intend to make, more changes then it pays to do the pcIII or similar.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is sometimes perceived to be cheaper if you listen to the majority than it is to learn from the few who are knowledgeable.

You know,a "everyone else is doing it" kinda thing.

I know I'm[sm=guilty.gif]

Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 AM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Trotter

Interesting question.
I have a PCIII and a fairly standard setup at this time (SE cleaner, SEII slipons). I initially downloaded the canned map for this setup. I then had this tuned shortly after setting it up. Cost was $275 and there are only a few tuners within reasonable riding distance for me. I explained to the tuner that I wanted to get rid of the popping, and he did that for the most part, and he did spend several hours tuning it, however I did not really notice any performance difference over the stock download for my setup. Mostly he dumped more fuel in at 0% throttle position. I could have done this for nothing.

When I replaced this for V&H, I went thru the procedure again with similar results - in fact this time I first loaded a canned map, then I found a guy near me that had his same year, stock download from HD, same AC, same pipes, even including quiet baffles. Identical setups. He gave me his map. The results were similar - less popping due to more fuel at 0% - but really no noticable improvement in performance.

Probably going to change pipes again in the spring - not really sure what to do this time?

Not sure how this relates to a SERT tune?

Old 01-23-2008, 10:33 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Trotter, since you brought up tuning....... I'm days away from pulling the trigger on a Thundermax, in your opinion is this the way to go? Or should I go after a SERT and Dyno time?

I addmit I'm one of those guys that put money into sound and looks over performance, and now I'm pissed. I want my bike to run better and stronger.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:35 AM
ehc0720
Tourer

I have done the stage I, A/C, slip-ons and remap, only to my engine and my bike runs great (06 WG). I would love to do more to the engine and dyno it but I am too new to HD's to know what to do, don't know any indy's and do not trust the dealers to do more than the Stage I.
So in answer to your question I think there are a lot of us here that just don't have the experience to do the work themselves or the trust in others to do "right" thing.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question ?