Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stupid Question ?

Can't answer your question Skip, other than people hear what they want to hear (and cheaper is always more attractive!) - thank god for this forum and people like you giving good advice based on experience and a large knowledge base. As long as people are willing to listen and follow advice that is!

If it wasn't for you guys I might never have known to get SERT and later a dyno tune when I put on the stage 1 intake and V&H short shots - and I can say is the results were amazing! And well worth the money - definitely a good value when all else is taken into consideration - though I didn't spend quite as much as you indicate - I shopped around and found a good deal on SERT & Stage 1 intake (20% off), V&H pipes from Eastern, and an excellent tuner not too far away who did it cheap ($125)! It also helped that I had a good dealer giving honest appraisals of the various options when I first got the bobstah.

Chip

Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again ..... Reading all these Exhaust Question which there aredaily, I cant figure out Why someone would go out and spend 13,000.00 to 18,000.00 on a bike... ....Is it because it's money spent on someting that you cant look at..?
I'm in construction (insulation), and I can say for sure that people are much more willing to pay for goodies that can be seen. That's why builders spend more on the counter tops and tile while using bottom of the line insulation and HVAC. I'm sure the same applies to the performance issue. Actually, I think pipes for many are more for looks and sound than for true performance. Another part of it is probably doubting how much it will help. Many of us are going on the word of the guy selling the service which makes anybody naturally skeptical. Plus, it's not something that's hitting you in the head as far as urgency goes. If you can't tell the difference until after the "invisible" work is done, it can be an "out of sight, out of mind" thing due to ignorance rather than apathy. Hearing how much it helps from somebody like you will probably have an impact though. End of armchair psychology post...

It also helped that I had a good dealer giving honest appraisals of the various options when I first got the bobstah.
My problem is I've had a hard time figuring out who to believe around here. I trust the advice on this forum much more than what I've been told by the shadetree sounding wrenches I've talked to.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:05 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm embarrassed to talk about what I've spent on the following items but....When I got my Bob I researched and asked around for months before settling on a Thunderheader, Screaming Eagle AC, and a DFO.I talked to three different independants and they all claimed this was the "hot set up"The bike ran like crap.It backfired, not popped mind you, but backfired damn near any time you let off the throttle .I took it back three times to the same independant that installed it and got answers like "it's normal,they all do that" or my favorite "well if you'd just ride it like a motorcycle" whatever the hell that means, I guess I'm not suposed to downshift. I tried to sell the bike for awhile, even thought trading it in on something else but once I saw what I'd loose I finally bought a SERT, found a good independant tuner with a dyno and had it tuned right.Again I'm embarrassed to talk about what this cost but the at the time it was the only working Dyno within 100mi so as you can imagine it was not cheap but it was worth every penny.Of all the money I've spent on this bike the SERT and dyno tune was the most worthwhile.My bike has never run better and the tuner was able to pull unbelievable HP out of a mostly stock TC88. For those of you with a DFO the problem I had only affected first year closed loop FI it was not a problem with the 05 and before FI bikes and I've heard it has since been remedied but I wouldn't give up my SERT for one.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:07 PM
ken01976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question doesn't really pertain to carbed bikes. Spark plugs tell us all we need.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior

I took it back three times to the same independant that installed it and got answers like "it's normal,they all do that" or my favorite "well if you'd just ride it like a motorcycle" whatever the hell that means
Sounds like some of the expert advice I've heard lately.[:@]

Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Trotter
Banned

Ed... You hit It right on for the reason for this Post.......And the set up you have is one of the Hottest Set Up's There is.. ThunderHeader, SERT with a good tune,and any of the High Flow A/C's...... That's why you see me go through so many Exhausts... The Bassanni's I just Installed are also very Impressive for a 2 into 2.. I'll post the dyno sheet's later this week...

Old 01-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Trotter
Banned

Ken......Smart A$$ ...... But your Soooo Right.... Just A/F & Jets ...And ride ... Although with all the Additives it's a little harder too read the plug's now.[:@]

Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior

This question doesn't really pertain to carbed bikes. Spark plugs tell us all we need.

Just A/F & Jets ...And ride ...
Thanks-good to know.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:32 PM
jelk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the answer to my question. To answer your original question, my reason for asking the filter/exhaust questions is “because I don’t know the answers and because this is all new to me”. This is my first HD product and I never thought I was sold something that wouldn’t last for years and years with typical maintenance. I have several older off-road bikes and two newer Sport quads as well, and I don’t think of myself as stupid about how an engine works and I know the basic stuff, jetting, rich, lean, read plugs, etc; I adjust my quad jetting summer vs. winter etc. Sure electronic is different but the basic principles are the same and I know why you can’t just randomly make changes to the fuel/air ratios.
From day one, I came to realize that the dealer couldn’t answer my questions about exhaust, tuning, etc. I asked several different times and got answers ranging from “the new models self-correct” to “You have to have a race tuner or power commander and a dyno tune if you add anything (or even if it's stock..WTF).” (This is all at the same dealership…). So I did my own research (including this site and I’m trying to see if I can educate myself enough to understand the real issues and make the right choice.
For me, it’s not as much about saving a few bucks as it is understanding what I’m spending my money on. If I thought my dealer knew what they were talking about, I would have done whatever they told me to. Bottom line, I can’t find anyone local that I believe in, so I’m going to have to learn from reading and talking to other owners. Thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 06:52 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain

wow, if i just went for looks, i dont think that the Thunderheader was the way to go.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question ?