Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:49 AM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stupid Question ?

I agree that there seem to be far too many individuals that concentrate more on cosmetics and sound over performance when it comes to spending their dollars on their machines. Seems to me quite a few folks are looking for the cheapest way out when it comes to tuning their scoots and this is not a good thing.
I bought my V&H pipes about 2 months before I had my Thundermax installed and profesionally tuned. I never gave it a second thought about doing a bigger A/C without investing in a quality fuel mamgement system and the work of a quality tuner. I know that many use the d/l and that's ok for you if it seems to be the ticket, but I really wanted the best I could get out of my upgrade and felt it was worth spending the money to get it done the way I felt it should get done after researching the subject quite thouroughly.
I also wanted something that would be useful when I decide to do a big bore kit down the road so I spent the big dollars on th esetup I have even though I know I could have gone cheaper in the tuning department. Just didn't seem worth it to me but that's just my opinion on the subject.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top.... If your running the 2007 Street legal mufflers and the S.E. Air Cleaner with the download than your fine... After Market pipes and A/C... the 2007 Stage 1 Download Is'nt enough...

ORIGINAL: Topspin

Answer to stupid question...

As a new rider and a newer Harley owner, you learn as you go.

I assumed that a complete stage 1 install by the dealer and subsequent 1000 mile service would get the job done right.

I run 6 Auto Dealerships... my customers would expect and insist on the same.

As hard as I work, getting back to the dealer for service ain't easy.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Trotter
Banned

Brian we tune with all three... ThunderMax, PCIII, SERT, I prefer the SERT but they all do the Job..The ThunderMax is a good choice, butwe get more from the SERT... Just stay away from the Strap On's..

Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trotter

Top.... If your running the 2007 Street legal mufflers and the S.E. Air Cleaner with the download than your fine... After Market pipes and A/C... the 2007 Stage 1 Download Is'nt enough...

ORIGINAL: Topspin

Answer to stupid question...

As a new rider and a newer Harley owner, you learn as you go.

I assumed that a complete stage 1 install by the dealer and subsequent 1000 mile service would get the job done right.

I run 6 Auto Dealerships... my customers would expect and insist on the same.

As hard as I work, getting back to the dealer for service ain't easy.
Trotter:

I had BSS, SERT and SE A/C installed when the bike was new by the dealer. I asked them to fix the popping at the 1K service. When they didn't fix it and asked me to do a $300 Dyno-Tune, I thought that they were giving me an **** insertion.

I am now understanding that I need one. As an inexperienced Harley (and fuel injection) person. I figured that for the kind of money I ALREADY spent, the damn bike should be perfect. But it aint.

I am learning.

Tony

Old 01-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Trotter
Banned

The map's that come with the SERT are different than the Stage 1 Download... There alot safer.... but tunning is the way to go for longevity

Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 AM
jelk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So in your opinion, if you have a 2008 dyna, 50 state legal SE slip ons andSE A/C (with FULL ACcover, no changes) and download, all is well. Add SERT to same, load Stage 1 (race exhaust/SE AC) instead of download is better yet (no dyno tune), not just overkill? I drive to work daily (excluding winter). I never plan to add a full exhaust or better flowing slip ons.

thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 11:48 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trotter

No offence and not trying to start anything. But do you have a AFR chart or have you run a AFR check with a bike set up SE air cleaner and SE II's or some other free flowing exhaust? If you have no chart what did you find in AFR's?

I ask this because if using the SERT or a download and utilizingthe narrow band sensors. The majority of the map is closed loop unless changed by tuner with SERT. WOT,high loads and cold starts are open loop. Butmajority of mapis inclosed loop wheremost ride. And that will be a 14.7:1 ratio. Which some feel is too lean, I disagree but not the point. So if one believes that, then to get out of the 14.7:1 ratio one needs a SERT,PCIII,Tmax,DTT or some other full fuel management system. And unless that system uses a O2 sensor for self adjustment one needs a AFR meter to tune them self or have it done by a tuner. Canned maps in a open loop system get you close maybe.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Trotter
Banned

With your set up not necessary but better.. Aftermarket exhaust yes..

Old 01-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much help is a dyno tune job with a carbed 88 with SE II slip-ons, A.N.B.S., and sone "basic" jet tweaking? I've asked about it several places, but most of the wrenches act like it's not worth it on my bike, claiming you can get it so close without the dyno. I feel like it's a little too rich, but I don't know for sure. It was definitely lean before the A/C and rejetting (stock with SE IIs) based on the plugs. Also, how much depends on the skill of the guy doing the tuning with the dyno? The dealership here is getting one soon, but is that worth much with newbies doing the work?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Trotter
Banned

Again ..... Reading all these Exhaust Question which there aredaily, I cant figure out Why someone would go out and spend 13,000.00 to 18,000.00 on a bike then spend 200.00 on a A/C and another 300.00/500.00 on a Exhaust system and alot of other moneys on chrome stuff, But over look the most Important part of the exhaust equation spending 300.00 to 500.00 to get the bike tuned so the bike runs Cooler andat it's full potentialfor a long life....Is it because it's money spent on someting that you cant look at..?Because you can definatly feel the differance if it's done right... over justa download A/C and pipes... ?

Quick Reply: Stupid Question ?