Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike wouldn't start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008 | 02:51 PM
Reverend
Tourer
Default RE: Bike wouldn't start!

Why not jump a bigger battery off your car onto the terminals? You'd have big energy reserves to crank it & see if that makes any difference..

Old 01-23-2008 | 03:44 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Reverend

Why not jump a bigger battery off your car onto the terminals? You'd have big energy reserves to crank it & see if that makes any difference..
Not a good idea, thebattery, starter motor, wiring andcablesare not designed for the amps put out by an auto batt, even if the auto is not running. If used, you should only run the starter in short(1-2 sec) bursts to avoid frying things. Don't ask me whyI know.

Old 01-23-2008 | 03:52 PM
Trotter
Banned

Mark I have a both sets of hook ups hear if ya need them... Alligator or for the tender...

Old 01-23-2008 | 04:08 PM
Reverend
Tourer

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Reverend

[/blockquote]

Not a good idea, thebattery, starter motor, wiring andcablesare not designed for the amps put out by an auto batt, even if the auto is not running. If used, you should only run the starter in short(1-2 sec) bursts to avoid frying things. Don't ask me whyI know.
Agree about the short bursts, but the rest is claptrap mate. Batteries don't put out amps, the resistance draws a current. The resistance won't change whichever size battery you stick on, providing its potential difference between the terminals is the same as the original, ie 12v.

Honest!!

I've jump started my Monkey bike with a car battery before. All you're doing is supplying a greater reserve of power.

Trust me - I'm a Fatbob owner...

Old 01-23-2008 | 06:37 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: Trotter

It's been below freezing for the last week.... if ya need a battery I have a few new one's at the house... Give me a call.. Skip

Oh and Doug I brought home a few Headlight Bulbs also
Mark, I hope you got yer problem solved......... My old Honda used to give me trouble starting in the winter, outside. Could never figure it out. I would brush the 12" of snow off of it, drain the water out of at least 2 of the 4 carbs, squirt somedeicer in the keyhole to melt the ice, hit the choke and turn it over a couple times........ vroooooooooooom......... the problem was getting the water thawed to drain out of the carbs.............................That probably didn't help, did it??

Oh yeh, forgot to mention............. If you have a 12VDC coffee pot, always make sure (with the Dyna) that you only make 1 pot, before trying to start the bike............. the second pot will always kill the battery!![sm=headbang.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif]

Skip,
Thanks, but I have decided if I don't need a tachometer, I sure as hell don't need a high beam........ Had the fking thing on when I got hit........... Lotta good that did me. Sure wish I knew how many rpms I was turning when he ran over me

I know, I know.......... I am a retard!!![sm=sigh.gif][sm=bangbang.gif]

DougJ

Old 01-23-2008 | 09:18 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master

How old is your battery?? If it's a couple of years, trash it and get a new one. $75 is good insurance against being left stranded. I worked with remote instrumentation systems on solar charge panels. Even the "best" are only good for about 1000 charge cycles, i.e. 3 years. Some are better, others are worse, but that's just how it is. I've always made the practice of the first starter drag during cold weather is get a new battery.

Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2008 | 09:35 PM
Trotter
Banned

Then we need more Retards ....

Old 01-23-2008 | 09:57 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: Trotter

Then we need more Retards ....
Mom always said she was glad I didn't have a twin............ 1 was anuff.

Mark, hope you take Skip up on his battery offer. A nice cold spell usually spells doom for a weak battery.

DougJ

Old 01-24-2008 | 05:43 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Doug. has SCAAT showed up on your caller ID this week?

Old 01-24-2008 | 05:47 AM
Trotter
Banned

[sm=yikesomg.gif]

Quick Reply: Bike wouldn't start!