Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatbob Lights Help PLEEEEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 04:11 AM
Doodles
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've got a 2010 bike Foxster.

Strange you mentioning the dodgy ground. 2 or 3 times now, the bike has lost all electrical power for a anywhere between a few seconds to a couple of minutes. HD Slough said they couldn't find a problem. Battery contacts are all fine.

This has now happened twice before the headlight change and once afterwards.
Any word on whether the light change affects the 2 year warranty? Just a scary afterthought.....Don't want to hear them turn round and say they wont investigate the power loss problm as I've monkeyed around with the headlamps!

Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Doodles
I've got a 2010 bike Foxster.

Strange you mentioning the dodgy ground. 2 or 3 times now, the bike has lost all electrical power for a anywhere between a few seconds to a couple of minutes. HD Slough said they couldn't find a problem. Battery contacts are all fine.

This has now happened twice before the headlight change and once afterwards.
Any word on whether the light change affects the 2 year warranty? Just a scary afterthought.....Don't want to hear them turn round and say they wont investigate the power loss problm as I've monkeyed around with the headlamps!
Umm, sounds like you have a bit of a problem there. You don't want that happening on a busy road and/or it leaving you stranded.

I'd have another look at those battery connections, famously dodgy on many HDs. Take off the leads, give it all a good clean, apply a tiny coat of Vaseline and reassemble. Also take a look at the fuses; remove them, check for any corrosion, spray them and the area with WD40. Might also want to check all the connectors in that area and under the seat.

The warranty implications depend on the dealer. Some can be arsey and say that you touched it so its now your problem. Others will honor the warranty as long as its clear that anything you did didn't cause the problem. So, for instance, it would be a bad dealer that wouldn't fix a starter motor because you had changed the footpegs. I'd say you are getting close to the line with an electrical problem and you have made a fairly major change to the lighting, unless you already reported it to them before touching the lights.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Doodles
6th Gear

Thanks Foxster, once again.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Doodles
6th Gear

Headlamp problem turned out to be a wrong wiring. The low beam was connected to the earth. It would appear that the connectors have different coloured leads depending on where you get them from. Oops.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Stomper-63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doodles
Headlamp problem turned out to be a wrong wiring. The low beam was connected to the earth. It would appear that the connectors have different coloured leads depending on where you get them from. Oops.
So, did this solve the mystery of losing all electrical power as you described?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Doodles
6th Gear

Hey Stomper.

That what a separate issue. The battery earth was ever so slightly loose. A quick tighten up by Harley mechanic and no problem since.

I'm now in this very strange place where absolutely nothing is currently wrong with my Harley.......

Feels weird.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Stomper-63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL... knock on wood, Brother!

Despite some of the electrical modifications I've done, I haven't had the pleasure of ANYTHING going wrong with my bike in any way, shape or form since I bought it in Jan '10... knock on wood... LOL