Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to lower FXDX headlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:22 PM
cadillac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to lower FXDX headlight

One of my smaller winter projects was to replace the windshield plastic with new. Measured twice, ordered from Memphis Shades. Got the replacement but in a shorter height so I could see over it. Got it installed and the cutout for the headlight is too low... or my headlight needs to be lowered. So I adjusted the windshield up as high as it would go.. still needs about 3/4" for the light from the headlight to have a clear shot out. So I removed the windshield and proceeded to take off the stock headlight to see how I could lower it. The pictures show the headlight bolt appears integral to the housing.. maybe pressed in? The mating surfaces of the housing and the triple tree headlight bracket are concave and convex so the light can be tilted for adjuctment. I want to remove the bolt, replace it with one 3/4" longer, get a 3/4" spacer that will fit between the 2 surfaces. Has anyone else done this? Have a kit or know of a kit? Ideas? Suggestions?

bob

[IMG]local://upfiles/24889/01550877F15B4FDDB29C71B446531340.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24889/547D30EC2AC94E6DAA05AAA95DBCE736.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24889/0431AD86553A42DBB723DE6629BFF1A1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-20-2008, 05:12 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,087 Likes on 2,115 Posts
Default RE: Need to lower FXDX headlight

cad, I do believe that bolt will come out,
then you will need a longer one,
and a spacer with the proper surface at each end.

What about trimming the windshield??

mud

ORIGINAL: cadillac

One of my smaller winter projects was to replace the windshield plastic with new. Measured twice, ordered from Memphis Shades. Got the replacement but in a shorter height so I could see over it. Got it installed and the cutout for the headlight is too low... or my headlight needs to be lowered. So I adjusted the windshield up as high as it would go.. still needs about 3/4" for the light from the headlight to have a clear shot out. So I removed the windshield and proceeded to take off the stock headlight to see how I could lower it. The pictures show the headlight bolt appears integral to the housing.. maybe pressed in? The mating surfaces of the housing and the triple tree headlight bracket are concave and convex so the light can be tilted for adjuctment. I want to remove the bolt, replace it with one 3/4" longer, get a 3/4" spacer that will fit between the 2 surfaces. Has anyone else done this? Have a kit or know of a kit? Ideas? Suggestions?

bob

Old 01-20-2008, 05:21 PM
cadillac
Road Master

I thought about trimming but it is a brand new windshield.....
guess I didnt think it would be tough to drop the headlight a bit. Seems like most ofht eheadlights for sale mount from the bottom of the light and my bike doesnt have a mounting hole there. I guess at this point Im looking at any and all possibilities.

bob

Old 01-20-2008, 05:29 PM
mud
muderator

I thought about trimming but it is a brand new windshield.....

bob
bob, you may want to consider taking itto a plastic supply house
and ask them about trimming. They cut plastics all day long.
That's assuming there is one in your area.

May be worth your while to look into it.

Be a lot easier than making the spacer you need.
Then again, maybe not.

mud

Old 01-20-2008, 05:37 PM
cadillac
Road Master

Ill look into finding one of them tomorrow. Lookin at it logically, that is the easiest place to start.

bob

Old 01-27-2008, 03:57 PM
cadillac
Road Master

Well, I looked for someone to cut down the windshield but couldnt find anyone willing. So back to idea #1, lowering the headlight. I was able to put together a spacer made from aluminum and with the proper curved surfaces. Overall I dropped the headlight 3/4". Thanks again to Mudpuddle for the right advice at the right times. I had to remove the headlight shell and drill out the 3 rivets holding the bolt mounting plate inside the housing. Then with a small hand gringer, remove the stock bolt that was too short. Got the carrige bolt that was 3/4" longer in place. Pop riveted the mount back in the shell. Put the new bolt up thru the shell, thru the new spacer, into the holder above and bolted it all back together! No one was more amazed than I was!! Heres some pics, please excuse the bike's dirty.

bob

Old 01-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never cut a windshield down, nor have I ever had a need till this year.
I was a bit scared, because it was a brand new windshield, but it had to be done.

I also needed to cut around the headlight, bringing my shield down to see better over it.
I found this site below to get an idea of what needed to be done, and a little confidence builder.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...eld/index.html

In reality, I did follow some of the tips on this site, but it was actually common sense.
I used a Dremmel and not a saw, worked great!

I invested in a $5 bit to cut plexiglass, (went to the Dremmel website and it helps pick out what blate was needed) and used the drum sander to clean it up. Iended up cutting about 2 1/2" to 3" out around where the headlight was , and practiced a little on a part I knew was trash anyway.

I made a cardboard template using the existing curve, then moved it up, used a marker to draw the new line I wanted to cut on.
I didn't use tape as website suggested, but did use a moving blanket or two on tabletop to protect the windshield from getting scratched
I actually cut a little less, and was happy, because the Dremmel with the drum sander on it cleaned up any mistakes I made.

Yeah, I did go out of line a little, but it worked out well asI undercut, and cleaned up pretty good.
I'm new at this camera stuff, and tried attaching a link of the results below, not the best photo, but shows what a rookie can do on a first try.

You'll notice I had to straighten out the original angle to cut around my headlight, but it is easy in my opinion.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...4/IMG_0056.jpg

Moral of the story, don't be scared to try it, if I can do it, anyone can...

Old 01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
cadillac
Road Master

Nice cutting travelinman. Ive seen me cut with a jigsaw and a roto zip. Your job sure looks good.

bob

Old 01-28-2008, 12:08 AM
mud
muderator

cad, nice job man.

Your tenaciousness has dominated,
there is no doubt about it.

Problem solving is 9/10 of the law.

I am curious as to where or how
you found or made the aluminum spacer.

I do wish you would add this one to the Under 50 HOW TO pages.

Keep up the good work.
This is the name of the game.

mud

Well, I looked for someone to cut down the windshield but couldnt find anyone willing. So back to idea #1, lowering the headlight. I was able to put together a spacer made from aluminum and with the proper curved surfaces. Overall I dropped the headlight 3/4". Thanks again to Mudpuddle for the right advice at the right times. I had to remove the headlight shell and drill out the 3 rivets holding the bolt mounting plate inside the housing. Then with a small hand gringer, remove the stock bolt that was too short. Got the carrige bolt that was 3/4" longer in place. Pop riveted the mount back in the shell. Put the new bolt up thru the shell, thru the new spacer, into the holder above and bolted it all back together! No one was more amazed than I was!! Heres some pics, please excuse the bike's dirty.

bob

Old 01-28-2008, 12:08 AM
mud
muderator

Very nice posting Travlin.

Really do appreciate the input.

It does get folks to thinkin.

I always take my plastic cutting over to Plastic Supply
here in SATx, cause I don't wanna be bothered with it.

The front brake caliper hangin in the picture below
got me to wondering -

So, I had a looksee at your other photobucket images,
and now I am really wondering -
What all are you doing?? Both wheels off etc etc.

This is another one for the Under 50 HOW TO pages.

mud

ORIGINAL: Travlinman314

I have never cut a windshield down, nor have I ever had a need till this year.
I was a bit scared, because it was a brand new windshield, but it had to be done.

I also needed to cut around the headlight, bringing my shield down to see better over it.
I found this site below to get an idea of what needed to be done, and a little confidence builder.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...eld/index.html

In reality, I did follow some of the tips on this site, but it was actually common sense.
I used a Dremmel and not a saw, worked great!

I invested in a $5 bit to cut plexiglass, (went to the Dremmel website and it helps pick out what blate was needed) and used the drum sander to clean it up. Iended up cutting about 2 1/2" to 3" out around where the headlight was , and practiced a little on a part I knew was trash anyway.

I made a cardboard template using the existing curve, then moved it up, used a marker to draw the new line I wanted to cut on.
I didn't use tape as website suggested, but did use a moving blanket or two on tabletop to protect the windshield from getting scratched
I actually cut a little less, and was happy, because the Dremmel with the drum sander on it cleaned up any mistakes I made.

Yeah, I did go out of line a little, but it worked out well asI undercut, and cleaned up pretty good.
I'm new at this camera stuff, and tried attaching a link of the results below, not the best photo, but shows what a rookie can do on a first try.

You'll notice I had to straighten out the original angle to cut around my headlight, but it is easy in my opinion.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...4/IMG_0056.jpg

Moral of the story, don't be scared to try it, if I can do it, anyone can...