Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black textures spray paint on mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Sc07Sbob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black textures spray paint on mirrors?

I was just wondering what you all thought about this, and if anybody has done it? I kinda wanted to get the black Harley Mirrors, but then I was thinking about trying to match the paint and motor a little bit better with the textured paint.....so I was thinking about taking my stock mirrors, cleaning them up good, sandpapering (to scuff up chrome), and then spray painting with a black texture spray paint?

Do you think it would work, or would the paint just peel right off the chrome?

Thanks!

Sean

Old 01-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Abysalone
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Black textures spray paint on mirrors?

Make sure you get a rough finish. Try a 100grit or something around there. The wrinkle paint hides any imperfections. I found you may want to scuff the paint later with a green scotch brite pad to dull it a little. Wait a few days or even a week to do this. It allows the paint to cure. IMO the paint is a little to shiney. If you need new mirrors its worth a try.

I also used the paint to mask some scuffed areas from the wreck. Cant even see it anymore.

Meant to add that I did paint my chrome derby cover and so far it still looks great.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Sc07Sbob
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Abysalone

Make sure you get a rough finish. Try a 100grit or something around there. The wrinkle paint hides any imperfections. I found you may want to scuff the paint later with a green scotch brite pad to dull it a little. Wait a few days or even a week to do this. It allows the paint to cure. IMO the paint is a little to shiney. If you need new mirrors its worth a try.

I also used the paint to mask some scuffed areas from the wreck. Cant even see it anymore.

Meant to add that I did paint my chrome derby cover and so far it still looks great.
Cool...thanks for the reply! Its not really that I need new mirrors, just wanted a kinda different look. So after its done its a little bright lookin' huh? I might try that scotch pad and see.

Thanks again!

Sean

Old 01-20-2008, 04:18 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

consider Duplicolor flat black High Performance wheel coating ....stuff is as durable as rocks, but you MUST let it cure!.... prepare as usual with the sanding and scuffing...prime, then blast it....and just let it sit for a week or so

i did this with my fender strut covers, coil cover, tail light trim, and an emblem on my battery cover.... it's virtually identical to the texture paint IN COLOR... plus, it's a little rough ....it looks great

Old 01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rustoleum texture black. It's a pretty close match to the textured black on the engine. I found that spraying a light coat on after the initialheavy coats have driedwill add a bit more texture.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Sc07Sbob
Advanced

ORIGINAL: sporty79

Rustoleum texture black. It's a pretty close match to the textured black on the engine. I found that spraying a light coat on after the initialheavy coats have driedwill add a bit more texture.

Yea, thats what I got, and it looks pretty good! I used it on the little plug in the primary, where the stock shifter shaft went. Can't even notice now, unless you really look!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 PM
ravvin
Intermediate

i did my pipes with high temp paint and that works great to,scotch brite and prime and paint...cheap and easy to touch up if needed!!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 AM
buellrider76
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just have to agree with the rest. Used the rustoleum wrinkle black on my Buell for multiple parts and it's held for just over two years with no touch up needed. I haven't tried the high temp but a lot of people on here vouch for it. Gonna buy a can and try it on my Bob exhaust.