Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to clean up the wires under the tank...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:03 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default I want to clean up the wires under the tank...

My bike has a large messy bundle of wires at the front of the frame near the headlight and I want to clean them up. I think the best way to do it is to lift the tank up and pull the wires back to have the bundle under the seat. Is this really as easy as unbolting the tank on the front and rear, propping it up as high as it will go, turning the handlebars full right, then pulling the wires back?

Yeah, I know this sounds simple. But so far, I've found that nothing is simple (except for maybe replacing the foot pegs. lol...) What surprises am I going to get by doing this?

I'd also probably try to wrap the cable bundle by the headlight with some sort of webbed covering to make it look even neater.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:57 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: I want to clean up the wires under the tank...

Okay, I'll ask another stupid question that doesn't go along with the main topic of this thread... My bike has black Accel spark plug wires on it now. I want to replace those with yellow spark plug cables for a "hot rod" look. Is this as easy as just swapping them?

Chris

Old 01-15-2008, 09:28 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: SgtThump

Okay, I'll ask another stupid question that doesn't go along with the main topic of this thread... My bike has black Accel spark plug wires on it now. I want to replace those with yellow spark plug cables for a "hot rod" look. Is this as easy as just swapping them?

Chris
Yes

Old 01-15-2008, 09:51 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Somewhere here on the Dyna forum someone did a NICE job of cleaning up the wires under the tank. It was complete with some detailed pictures. I tried using the search feature, but I couldn't find the thread for you.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:04 AM
chrisu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think WS6formula did the wire cleanup. Don't have a link to the thread but you should be able to find it searching his posts. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

My bike has a large messy bundle of wires at the front of the frame near the headlight and I want to clean them up. I think the best way to do it is to lift the tank up and pull the wires back to have the bundle under the seat. Is this really as easy as unbolting the tank on the front and rear, propping it up as high as it will go, turning the handlebars full right, then pulling the wires back?

Yeah, I know this sounds simple. But so far, I've found that nothing is simple (except for maybe replacing the foot pegs. lol...) What surprises am I going to get by doing this?

I'd also probably try to wrap the cable bundle by the headlight with some sort of webbed covering to make it look even neater.
Thump, Here is a link to a member that did something on the order of what you would like to do.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2429990/tm.htm

Old 01-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

I did something on the order of this when I ran the wires inside my handlebars. Not sure where you are in Illinois but Fry's Electronics up on 355 and Butterfield Rd Carries the braided covering.
I also purchased some split braided line from a company online. No need to remove wires from connectors.

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/I used the 1/2 inch but the 1/4 might be less bulky.
I apologize for lack of pics on what I've done. I'll thy to get some posted.
BTW, I'm in Homer Glen, Where you at Sgt.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

Thump, I went with the F6 GENERAL PURPOSE From Cable ties and more http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/They sell it per foot It has a cloth feel and bought the 1/2 "
Should have gone with the 1/4"
The larger 1/2" wraps around more, they advertise 25% wrap, using the larger gave me about 30% or slightly more but is a bit bulky so that is why i recommend the 1/4"
UPS Ground is a little slow, took about 10 days to get it.

Put some SE 8 mm Wires on too, Plug and Play!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:18 AM
BLade1127
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris
I bought the red ones from the dealer, and it was one of the easiest things I've ever done.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:14 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dynaflyer

Thump, Here is a link to a member that did something on the order of what you would like to do.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2429990/tm.htm
That's the thread I was talking about, thanks for finding it.

Quick Reply: I want to clean up the wires under the tank...