Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to clean up the wires under the tank...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:38 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: I want to clean up the wires under the tank...

Thanks for the info, guys ! I'll check out that other thread shortly.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Dynaflyer

I did something on the order of this when I ran the wires inside my handlebars. Not sure where you are in Illinois but Fry's Electronics up on 355 and Butterfield Rd Carries the braided covering.
I also purchased some split braided line from a company online. No need to remove wires from connectors.

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/I used the 1/2 inch but the 1/4 might be less bulky.
I apologize for lack of pics on what I've done. I'll thy to get some posted.
BTW, I'm in Homer Glen, Where you at Sgt.
Hey man, thanks for posting all of this info! I'm down in the forgotten part of the state, near St. Louis.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Thump, Here is a link to a member that did something on the order of what you would like to do.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2429990/tm.htm
Holy cow, he did an incredible job on that!!! That's beautiful. Mine is a much bigger mess than that too, though. There's too much slack on the cables on my ride. I need to pull that extra slack back under the tank. I guess my wires go through the frame and under the tank? If that's so, lifting the tank up may not make pulling them through any easier.

Remember, my bike is slightly older (1992), and I'm realizing things are different on it than newer bikes (duh.) Also, I had my turn signals installed by the dealership, since the previous owner removed them. So they may not even go through the frame. They may just be tucked under the tank.

I guess I just need to look at it better. I may try unbolting the tank and moving it up and back to get a better look. I don't want to mess with removing it altogether. Not up for a slightly bigger project right now.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Dynaflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SgtThump

I guess I just need to look at it better. I may try unbolting the tank and moving it up and back to get a better look. I don't want to mess with removing it altogether. Not up for a slightly bigger project right now.
Thump, Can understand where you are coming from. Mine started as a little wire project and next thing I knew...........
I just decided to do it all at once while I had taken a few things off.
The split braided is the way to go if you are looking to dress and or combine the wires with out all the hassle and making it a big project.
Once the WX Breaks I'll have to shoot down your way.....
Keep us posted on your Ride.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:14 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Thump, Can understand where you are coming from. Mine started as a little wire project and next thing I knew...........
I just decided to do it all at once while I had taken a few things off.
The split braided is the way to go if you are looking to dress and or combine the wires with out all the hassle and making it a big project.
Once the WX Breaks I'll have to shoot down your way.....
Keep us posted on your Ride.
Yeah, exactly! I need the split wrapping, so I don't have to disconnect anything. I'm afraid to see how everything is connected under the tank, since the signals were removed and reinstalled later. It may be a mess and I don't know enough about it to rip it all apart and reconnect everything. But yeah, all I really want to do is to pull some of the slack back through the frame or under the tank, then bundle and wrap the 6" or so of cables that are visible from the front of the tank to the bars. Sounds easy? We'll see. lol...

It looked like spaghetti before, but just the other day I used wire ties to bundle them and make them look better. To be honest with you, I'm positive nobody even notices this but me. But it does drive me a little crazy. [8D]

Oh yeah, let's stay in touch on the board here and maybe we can meet up halfway for a few brewski's!

Chris

Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

Sounds Great on the Brewski's!
It drove me batty too. Had to to do something with it, Looks a lot cleaner. Good luck with the project.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Sounds Great on the Brewski's!
It drove me batty too. Had to to do something with it, Looks a lot cleaner. Good luck with the project.
I just got back from a quick visit to the dealer over lunch and several of their bikes had about as big of a mess as my bike. I didn't think to look at it until I was on my way out, but a couple of their Sporties weren't really any "neater" than mine. That surprised me.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Rocko81
4th Gear

SgtThump nice bike! I have the same one. I've owned it for 5 years now and love it. Let me know if you ever have any questions. I've run into some issues finding parts but other than that it's a great bike.

Rocko

Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Rocko81

SgtThump nice bike! I have the same one. I've owned it for 5 years now and love it. Let me know if you ever have any questions. I've run into some issues finding parts but other than that it's a great bike.

Rocko
Hey man, thanks! Very cool. Got any pics of your old FXDC??? If so, let's see 'em!

Chris