Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Different HD Detachable Saddlebags??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:33 PM
jeb_cfl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2 Different HD Detachable Saddlebags??

ORIGINAL: 06dynablack

ORIGINAL: jeb_cfl

Funny seeing this post. I have an 08 street bob. Stealer told me today that lots of people are using throw over bags with no bag supports. He said I can use the pillion seat to cover and won't need supports at all.

anyone using this method?
cool see if he will sell you a set and have them install em without the supports just make sure you save your paperwork on it all just in case for your lawyer
I'm taking the bike in tomorrow for him to show me the setup. I'll let you know.

JB

Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,880 Likes on 13,484 Posts

RAWHIDE07 here,I just got my 07 fxd back from the dealer with the new bags p/n 90181-08,I'm pleased with the looks and quality.When mounted they are rock solid like hard bags but I can take them off any time I desire.My wifes first comment was "i like them",it's too cold to ride(20 degrees)but I had her sit behind me and her legs did not touch them.I wanted these bags but the price did concern me.I won a little money so they were FREE for me.My thoughts:I'm not planning on ever buying another bike because I'm retiring next year and I love this bike.If you are a young person who will have multiple bikes over the years go with cheaper bags,if your bike is a long term keeper they are a good deal.I would include pictures from my digitalcamera but I don't know how to upload them yet.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotthis set of HD bags used, but great condition off ebay.
Came with bolt on hardware, two bolts, and nothng else, no bottom support.
I was under the impression that this was all I would need. being the baks are solid innthe back.

Now my concern is I am missing something.
If I only use the top two bolts on the strut, what are the concerns I should be aware of?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:20 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,880 Likes on 13,484 Posts

I would contact the seller of this item and insist that he supply me with all the mounting hardware.It's not right to sell something incomeplete and not tell the buyer.I may be wrong but I doubt if you can buy just the mounting kit.That said the bottom support is the reason these things feel so solid.You could fabricate a bracket,mount it to the top shock bolt and bolt to it.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess these bags are at least a couple to a fewyears old.
They look good, well kept, and I'm actually not sure the seller had more hardware.
He/she sent the bolts, 4 spacers, and the turn signal relocation kit.

The only reason I think the bags are older, is the turn signal relocation kit looks older, HD one.
For less than half price of new, I'll fabricate something if need be.

If anyone has a photo of the part needed to bolt or hook up to the shock, I'd appreciate itsoI can fab something up.
In reality, I am so spoiled to saddle bags through the years, I won't even bother with a quick release system.

In the past, I have only taken bags off when washing bike, if it becomes a problem, I'll change it.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeb_cfl

Funny seeing this post. I have an 08 street bob. Stealer told me today that lots of people are using throw over bags with no bag supports. He said I can use the pillion seat to cover and won't need supports at all.

anyone using this method?
throwovers with no supports... I'd be scared to do that. If it works out ,great, post pix and let us know.
Of course you can get cleaner looking, bigger bags with a detachable support for the same money as some harley throwovers.
I would definately do the latter as having bags that are about 1/4 inch too narrow for a six pack....[:'(]