Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing swirls

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Removing swirls

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

It is not a good idea to dry or wax your black paint job, using circular motions.
Tom
Your right about that. I bought a bottle of the Harley swirl remover and it says to apply it with a firm circular motion to create friction as the product works best when it's heated up. Well, now I have circular scratches from the swirl remover over top of the swirls I was trying to remove. And yes, the bike was spotless with no dust on it or the cloths I was using. The cloths came in a package with the swirl remover and were never used before.

If someone finds the 3M stuff and finds that it works, please post it because I hate the swirls as well. I like my black bike but things like this are exactly why I buy nothing but light colored vehicles anymore...

Old 01-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg go to a automotive paint supply and ask for Liquid Glass... Stuff isworth finding....

Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 PM
spark1707
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Malms micropolish #10 on all my cars & bikes for about 12 years now.
It removes the swirls and even some heavier scratches.
Then I coat it with their 100% carnuba wax.
Friend who owns a limo service turned me onto it.
Stuff is expensive but it really goes a long way.

The #10 takes outswirls and leaves the paint with a creamy finish. The carnuba wax gives it depth.
Easy on and easy off.... no residual dust.
Satifaction guaranteed or your money back incl shipping costs.
Check out their FAQ.

www.malms.com

Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 PM
abcd9906
Cruiser

As a painter also, like VenturaChop said .. You need to put a wheel on it. Glazes, waxes, over the counter miracle crap only works untill you wash it a few times and all the glaze getswashed off or the sun deteriorates the glaze away. Glazes and all that are a temporary fix. To actually remove them you need to have a 3m grey foam waffle pad with a high speed polisher and 3M Perfect-it 3000 Swirl Mark Remover for Dark colored cars(since yours is black). Its about 40 dollars a bottle and if you arent comfortable with a real buffer .. bring it somewhere. after you machine it all out and it looks good, wipe it off with a microfiber rag and alcohal and water mixed 80 percent isopropyl alochal to 20 percent water. That'll get all the glaze and compounds out of the pores in the paint. Once thats done and its clean and smooth and shiny then you can take a hand glaze or a non abrasive wax type product as long as it isnt a cleaner wax as in mequirs cleaner wax because it has abrasives in it. I'd use a paint sealent. It is all synthetic polymers and it will last longer and it more durable.
When you wax or wash a black bike, car, anything you shouldnt use small circular motions. you should go north to south east to west etc. Circular motions is the best way to apply a product to get even coverage but it is hell on the paint if there is any imperfections in your rag, product or just dust falling in the air. You dont have to use 3M ... but you get what you pay for. 3M has been tried tested and proven over and over again.It is a true professional product, not just an over the counter auto part store fix a scratch shlt.
Other good brands would be Malco Products, Auto Magic Products, or Detail Kings products. 3M over all though.

To make your own "instant detailer" product or the crap that the stealership sells .. do this.

In a spray bottle mix 80 percent isopropyl alcohal
20 filtered water (no well water or crap tap water)

This will also work on denim bikes. This formula is used to dry wash showroom cars and such to get dust and bugs or whatever off witout wasting water and time. Works good try it. works awesome on chrome glass or whatever else needs be absolutely clean and smudge, streak free.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:01 AM
VenturaChop
Road Master

when did you move to arizona dude??

Old 01-12-2008, 12:04 AM
abcd9906
Cruiser

oh dude .. lol .. it asked where was I from and then where do I live. I put Lake Havasu, AZ is where im from and Hutchinson Kansas is where I live. Ill have to fix it. Sorry . lol

Old 01-12-2008, 06:04 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Trotter

Greg go to a automotive paint supply and ask for Liquid Glass... Stuff isworth finding....

Liquid Glass... is awesome. I agree . zone has it for about 20.00