Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21" laced front wheel is on my Super Glide - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008 | 11:46 AM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Default RE: 21" laced front wheel is on my Super Glide - PICS

ORIGINAL: jmpancoast

The Wide Glide spokes won't work. The WG has a conical type hub which laces from the inside and the outside which allows the use of spokes having the same length between the head and the bend.

The other Dynas have a spool type hub which are laced through the holes from the outside in. Because of this, the spokes are two different lengths between the head and the bend. This allowsa spoke to overlap the one next to it in the configuration.

I never noticed the difference until I starting researching this mod. LOL, as a matter of fact, the research consisted of me spending $45.00 buying the wrong spokes.
Good to know. I've read a bit about this mod, but this is the first time I've come across that info.

Old 01-14-2008 | 03:36 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking bike, jmpancoast. One of the sharpest on here IMO. Looking through your gallery, your bike sure has gone through some changes!I'm impressed that you did it all yourself.

Old 01-14-2008 | 03:43 PM
ehc0720
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the look, but then again I ride a WG so I have the 21" wheel.

Old 01-14-2008 | 04:59 PM
jmpancoast
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dawg Rider

Great looking bike, jmpancoast. One of the sharpest on here IMO. Looking through your gallery, your bike sure has gone through some changes!I'm impressed that you did it all yourself.
Dawg, that is a huge compliment when you have seen the Dynas on this forum. There are a lot of top notch rides.

I found out a couple years ago how much I enjoy doing mods whenI bought the "Super Glide" of the Ford truck line, a 2005 F150 XL, 4 x 4 work truck. It simply was all I could afford and it was my first new vehicle. I spent the next 18 months modding it to get what I wanted. It now has:

Power windows
Power door locks
Power mirrors
OEM cloth seats (changed from vinyl)
Upgraded wheels and tires
Power tailgate lock
OEM Audiophile 6 cd sound w/hardwired satellite
Auto dimming rearview mirror w/compass and temperature
OEM tach in instrument cluster
OEM Drive-by-wire cruise control
Other minor mods not listed

Its getting to the point now where I am getting almost as much money tied up in the Super Glide as I have in the truck, and the truck is my bread and butter.

I am having a blast personalizing the Harley and its alldue tothemembers of this forum.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23085/432F05E786D548A992967F44422FB602.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23085/A06B21AD3BF749FBB7A99C6F08CFA530.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-05-2008 | 06:35 PM
Bigbird
Tourer

Why can't you just use the 21 laced rim off the 07 or 08 lowrider? It has the same 49mm forks as the Streetbob.

Nevermind, I just noticed they did away with the 21 on the lowrider. SORRY!!

Old 02-05-2008 | 06:46 PM
jmpancoast
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

07 and 08 Low Riders don't come with a 21" wheel

Bigbird, I just noticed your edit. Consider this post edited and erased.

Old 02-05-2008 | 07:03 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My wheel is all chrome everything, bought on eBay brand new for $150. Granted, it's for a 3/4 axle, and would need to be modified to work on a 1" axle front end, namely, swapping out the bearings for 1 inch bearings, and the center of the hub will need to be carefully drilled out....preferrably by a machine shop to ensure exact tolerances and straightness. My new front end had a 3/4 axle so, I was good with a Hawg Halters spacer kit. I added pics to give more of a look at the 21" wheel. "nazman" went with a 21" eBay chromie as well.....and he in fact drilled out the hub, and it seems to work fine, at least according to what he said.[]

Anyway, enough about my stuff....this is your thread, and about YOUR stuff. Just wanted to offer another idea.

~Joe

Old 02-05-2008 | 09:43 PM
RickDeVon
Banned

Looks really nice. I just picked up a solid rear with slots and was thinking of a thunderstar front. I wonder if a 21" will just bolt up on an 01 SG

Old 02-05-2008 | 10:50 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Make sure you double check, but I am pretty sure you have a 3/4 axle. As long as you make sure you have a narrow hub setup for the narrow glide front end, and have the hub for 2000+ brake rotor (2000+ have a larger diameter bolt pattern), it SHOULD be a quick swap.

My rear wheel is off of a 1200 Custom Sportster, flipped 180 degrees as sporties are right side drive versus left side drive.......have to make sure the tire rotation is correct, etc. This wheel was an EXACT swap for the factory rear wheel, meaning the spacers, etc. were the same.....too easy...

~Joe

Old 09-01-2008 | 08:03 AM
saa004
Stage II

Hey guys,
I'm relatively a new member to HD forums. I just sold my 2004 Sportster and I'm currently looking for a Superglide. One of the things I wanted was a 21" laced front wheel. I didn't know I could buy one of these. I read the threads above but no mention of where I can buy a hub? Can anyone help here???

thanks.
Scott

Quick Reply: 21" laced front wheel is on my Super Glide - PICS