Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Aftermarket Exhausts Void HD Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,341 Likes on 22,639 Posts
Default RE: Does Aftermarket Exhausts Void HD Warranty

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

ORIGINAL: Trotter

Greg ..You are right they get credit off the top for all warranty work... Mechanic's and dealer gets paid.... Dealers don't mind warranty work at all.... They want any and all of your repeat business Warranty or not... Buy taking care of your Warranty work and building a relation ship with you, they hope you will feel confident enough for them to do your non warranty work as well..
Good intentions for sure. But, I've now had 2 installs done by 2 different dealers and both made silly, unnecesaryoversights. Not enough to hurt anything but enough to shake your confidence in them. If I do something myself and make a mistake, I chalk it up to inexperience. If I take something to an indy I don't know much about to save a few bucks and he makes a mistake, I chalk it up to "that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks". But, when I take something to an authorized dealer and pay their prices, I expect it to be done right and done right the first time. When I do that and a mistake is made once, I give them the benefit of the doubt, to a certain degree, and chalk it up to "everyone is human and entitled to a mistake". But when it happens again, it makes me wonder and hesitant to go back. Sorry for ranting...
I would rather take it to an indy who knows how to do his job. Moco charges you a flat rate.($90 dollars an hour here)If the wrench can do a 3 hour job in 2 hours of which they all try to do, the dealer is happy and so is the wrench so that he can move on to the next project, and so are you allegedly. The problem being most of the time is that the wrench hurries through your job to get to the next as he makes an hourly rate plus a piece of everything he completes, of which in is the incentive to get the job done ASAP. I think that they are so busy trying to get everything done as fast as they can so that they can move on to the next project that they botch things up just to get done, and you end up taking it back to them again to fix it right. I would rather take it to an indy that is if they are worth their salt than to a flat rate stealership. I don't mind paying someone to fix something that I can't, I just want it done right the first time too. I don't want to have to take it back again, and again because someone fresh out of AMA School was trying to impress his supervisors. That is why I usually use indys.
JMO, JMO.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 AM
ken01976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never buy a new bike si I dont have to worry about worrying about whether my mods will void my warranty.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This question can not really be answered exactly. It depends is really the answer. Some dealerships are better with this than others and it really comes down to the day you walk in and talk to the Service Manager or whomever you are dealing with. They have the right to void the warranty in some situations for installing aftermarket parts, even if they have nothing to do with the problem. There was a law passed that stated you could do your own maintenance and not void your warranty, but most of the service desk guys have probably never heard of it. The name of it slips my mind right now. If I ever need warranty work done, I remove any aftermarket parts, put it back to stock and run it for a while if it is possible and then take it in. I have only modified things that shouldn't affect the internal parts, but you never can tell what they are going to do. Also, being polite and nice to them helps out a lot. Being a smart *** is the best way to get your warranty voided. Also, there are some independents that are authorized to do warranty work for HD and they are the best to go to, they will usually help you out and make money doing it. Jus my 2 cents.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:10 PM
BillJ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RazorFXDB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!! ... Someone talking straight.

The dealer I bought my bike off of went over this with me. I got their word that they would never reject a claim for the aftermarket pipes I bought through them ... and had them install. Now, I'm not saying they never will ... just that they said they wouldn't. Just to be perfectly clear, according to what my warranty says,it doesn't matter if the dealer install's 'em or you install 'em ... either WILL void your warranty. Now, I'm not saying you won't still have your warranty honored ... just that the dealercan, technically reject your "claim" .. so to speak.

Now I'm starting to ramble incoherently ... Bottom line is it's a grey area.

If your bike is under warranty, you should have a copy of said warranty.Mine states in no uncertain terms, in regular sized print that aftermarket non-HD parts installed on your bike will VOID your warranty. I believe my documentation actually uses pipes as an example.

Cheers,

Ray.
Magnuson Moss act, Harley can not void a warranty simply because an aftermarket part product was used. If they so choose to take that hard of a line under the Magnuson Moss act they have to provide you with replacement parts free of charge. Now according your statement any aftermarket parts will VOID your warranty means that any and all maintenance work would have to be completed free of charge until the warranty period is over.

I think they will also have a pretty hard time in a court of law with the pipes as well.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:15 PM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BillJ
Magnuson Moss act, Harley can not void a warranty simply because an aftermarket part product was used. If they so choose to take that hard of a line under the Magnuson Moss act they have to provide you with replacement parts free of charge. Now according your statement any aftermarket parts will VOID your warranty means that any and all maintenance work would have to be completed free of charge until the warranty period is over.

I think they will also have a pretty hard time in a court of law with the pipes as well.
7 year old thread.