Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

feedback on bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:18 AM
06bob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feedback on bars

can anyone who has switched from apes to drag bars or similar gimme some pros/ cons. what they liked about the change or didn't. issue is. i'm not unhappy with the apes just thinking of going with a different look

Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Grandpa56
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: feedback on bars

If you are worried about a different "look", then I must assume that you park your bike and "look" at it more than you ride it. You should be more concerned about a different "feel" than a "look". Everyone has a different way they want their bike to "feel" while riding it. I am in no way knocking anyone's preference here. I don't find it comfortable or safe to ride with my hands above my ears. On the other hand, at 51 years old, I can't plant my face in the gas tank (ie: drag bars or crotch rockets) and be comfortable tilting my head back to see what is in front of me. To each his own. I prefer Buckhorn bars. They have a slight rise, then turn back and down at the grips. This is the most comfortable for me, but then I ride 20k + a year so I don't spend a lot of time "looking" instead of riding.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49674/4A9CA31959A14445B4F0885561A24A5D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 AM
bikerdog134
Road Master

went with buckhorns myself, with 4 inch pullback risers. much more comfortable for me.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain

I went from stock FXD to wild 1 501's which are drag bars with 8 inch rise. I like them they give me more of a in the bike not on it. I also lowered with 11 inch progressives and am putting on a corbin hollywood solo seat. Ive got carpal tunnel and the bars seem to help.
Smiley

Old 01-09-2008, 04:25 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ergonomics are important but you should be able to get the look you want and the fit as well. You may have to compromise a little. I liked the looks of 6" rise drag bars but found that the 8" rise fit me better so I went with that.

Regardless of what some say, there is nothing wrong with wanting your bike to look good. If you take your time you can make it look good and be comfortable as well. I'd never suggest picking a set of bars out in a catalog and ordering them and installing them. Try to test them out somewhere or something similar - see how they feel first.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:54 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: Grandpa56

If you are worried about a different "look", then I must assume that you park your bike and "look" at it more than you ride it. You should be more concerned about a different "feel" than a "look". Everyone has a different way they want their bike to "feel" while riding it. I am in no way knocking anyone's preference here. I don't find it comfortable or safe to ride with my hands above my ears. On the other hand, at 51 years old, I can't plant my face in the gas tank (ie: drag bars or crotch rockets) and be comfortable tilting my head back to see what is in front of me. To each his own. I prefer Buckhorn bars. They have a slight rise, then turn back and down at the grips. This is the most comfortable for me, but then I ride 20k + a year so I don't spend a lot of time "looking" instead of riding.

Wow... I don't think there'sa damn thingwrong with wanting the bike to "look" good and anyone that does is fooling themselves.

Chris

Old 01-10-2008, 12:50 AM
oldsporty1
Advanced

I had drag bars on my bob,71/2 inch risers felt great, but when I put the forward controls on they did'nt fit me right. So I went back to the stock bars and I am very happy with the way it looks and feels.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:00 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Grandpa56

I totally second you.
After all, buckhorns have been on bikes for about 100 years: they work.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like a flat track style bar.It's like a buck horn with a little less pull back, it looks good, it's comfortable to me and provides excellent leverage which makes steering easier.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
06bob
Advanced

i like the look of the flat rack bar. thanks for the input from everyone. except for the dig from super biker who sleeps in the saddle and puts more miles on than anyone on the planet. Man, you dont have to be so harsh. We can have a pissing contest if you want but i think im better than that.

Quick Reply: feedback on bars