Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing brake line and clutch cable..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default replacing brake line and clutch cable..?

hey all,

just wondering how involved it is to remove and replace the front brake line and clutch cable with braided ones?....i'm ordering both lines from magnum shielding...the new black pearl ones....but i don't see anything in the service manual that details the procedure....

any advice and tips to those who've done it?

thanks, paul

Old 01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: replacing brake line and clutch cable..?

BRAKE LINE IS EAZY AS PIE THE CLUTCH CABLE ON THE OTHER HAND IS A LITTLE MORE TIME CONSUMING BUT NOT BAD. JUST BE CAREFUL TAKING IT APART THERE ARE PARTS IN THERE YOU DONT WANT ROLLING INTO THAT BLACK HOLE SOMEWHERE THAT HAS EVERYONES LOST $HIT IN.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:58 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,023 Likes on 2,102 Posts

ORIGINAL: jsbridgew

hey all,

just wondering how involved it is to remove and replace
the front brake line and clutch cable with braided ones?...
.i'm ordering both lines from magnum shielding...the new black pearl ones...

.but i don't see anything in the service manual that details the procedure....

any advice and tips to those who've done it?

thanks, paul
paul, it's not bad - you have the skills.

It's all in the Shop Manual.

advice and tips -
take your time,
and post back here if you run into any issues.

mud

Old 01-08-2008, 06:12 PM
rok312
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is some good info on replacing cables (among other things) here:
My Ape Install

Old 01-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

I did it and it was the first time I'd ever even heard of/used some of the tools involved. So, yeah...think Geico commercial.

Whiff

Old 01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
WildBillAce2
Road Master

Be careful when tightening the clutch cable into the cover with after market cables - I over torqued mine and now I also have new cover :-)

What year is your bike? If it's older while you are in there you might want to put in an easy pull kit that is only about $10.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:10 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

I've done my clutch cable a few times. There's really not much to it. The brake line is even easier, it's just bleeding the new one out that can be a pain sometimes. For some good tips on how to do it, look here............... https://www.hdforums.com/m_342455/tm.htm

Old 01-08-2008, 07:39 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey, thanks for your vote of confidence Mud!...LOL....and thanks for the advice and links, all!..... will post back up with pics when this bad boy is done

incidentally, i went 8 inches over on the brake line and 4 inches over on the clutch due to the Wild chubs being wider than the stock apes and the fork length increasing by 2.5 inches with the 2 degree rake ....i should be okay?

incidentally, to those who asked, it's an '07 Bob with an '07 Wide Glide front end (forgot to include that!)....sorry

Old 01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Haven't done my clutch cable, but the brake is pretty easy. I'm no mechanic, but this did work for me. I did not have to bleed mine. Just some patience and a lot of lightly tapping of the brake lever. By tapping, I mean just likepulling the lever, only just pull it about 1/8 of a inch, and let it go. That is the lever goes back to it's normal position and ithits the lever clamp(metal to metal vibration),it will work out all the air bubbles. The all you have to do is refill the resivior for the amount of fluid contained in the line, itself(only a very small amount). And please make sure you have good brakes, no mushyness,before you go riding.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:26 PM
joeld0803
Cruiser

To do the clutch cable you'll need to tighten the adjusters all the way together to give maximum slack at the handle and pull the cable out and away from the handle and pivot around to the front. Squeeze the handle and expose the holding pin and remove to release the cable from the handle. The side cover needs to come off with the cable attatched and then set it on a bench on top of some rags and hold it flush (gasket side down) and break the cable loose from the housing and unthread it all the way. It might be snug because there is lock tite sealant on the threads. Don't lose the "O" ring cause you'll probably need it as well as the rubber cover over the adjusters. Flip the cover over and remove the Snap ring with a good pair of medium sized snap ring pliers. pick out the clutch piston and you'll see some ball bearing in the bottom of the cover and just leave them in there but put the housing to the side so they don't go flying. They are not under tension but you don't want to lose them. Pivot the cable holder 180 degrees and turn and push the cable end out and work backwards to reassemble. It sounds alot more difficult than it is.